PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the thread sizes for Pietta 1858?

alexzxz
07-30-2016, 03:49 PM
So I recently got myself a new Pietta 1858. I went ahead and got some RMC stainless nipples to go with it. And now I have 6 of these original Pietta steel nipples lying around. What I'm thinking is maybe take one of these nipples, some scrap wood, scrap parts from an old tin cap gun, my trusty Dremel and fashioning a sweet BIG-BOY break-barrel single-shot cap gun. Would probably use plastic ring caps and say 5 grains of Shockley's Gold.

Anyone know the thread sizes for those nipples so I can find a piece of steel threaded tubing for the barrel via Home Depot, Lowes, or McMaster-Carr? If not, it's fine, it's just a fun pet-project, and I could always use a piece of dowel drilled and fitted, just wouldn't use powder with it.

Edit: Nvm for the nipples, they're m6x.75 thread.

More importantly I'm looking for the thread sizes for the screws since I ended up stripping the screw for the trigger spring, and drilling it out. Screw still works fine on the gun, but I'm looking for hardier replacements, hopefully with some better steel so I won't strip them again or with a square or hex head.

Omnivore
07-30-2016, 04:20 PM
You can get a metric pitch gauge (the folding blade, sort of Swiss Army Knife style) for under ten dollars. That and a dial caliper (which as a shooter you should already have) is all you need to determine your thread pitches and sizes.

If you've stripped the spring screw threads in the frame, it doesn't much matter what the thread used to be. You'll want a larger diameter screw anyway, unless you're going to install a sleeve and thread that.

Then you need a tap and die set, or at least two tap and die sets (SAE and metric) and while you're at it get a numbered drill set (#s 1 thru 60) of good US-made quality. Avoid the cheap Asian made drills, taps and dies if you possibly can. Forty dollars verses a hundred or more dollars for what appears to be the same thing is tempting, but it'll cost you a lot more in the long run to "save" that initial sixty dollars.

All the internal parts to your revolver including screws can be had from the suppliers; too numerous to name, but a few are VTI, Dixie Gun Works, Cabela's, Taylor's and Company, Track of the Wolf, The Possibles Shop...

alexzxz
07-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Luckily, I didn't strip the frame just the screw head, and that came out by drilling and hammering in a hex star bit. I'll look into those suppliers and get a few spares, I guess.