PDA

View Full Version : Don's new SBH Hunter.

44man
07-30-2016, 03:38 PM
I cast a bunch of my boolits for him yesterday. Started sizing .431". He came over to learn to load. My boolits were too tight in the throats so I slugged the bore, found perfect .429". I changed the sizer to .430". and figure with the way they slide through He had .4305" throats.
I think things will be as good as it gets. Have to wait for another day to shoot.

dubber123
07-30-2016, 05:08 PM
I cast a bunch of my boolits for him yesterday. Started sizing .431". He came over to learn to load. My boolits were too tight in the throats so I slugged the bore, found perfect .429". I changed the sizer to .430". and figure with the way they slide through He had .4305" throats.
I think things will be as good as it gets. Have to wait for another day to shoot.

Fix the trigger and sights and you should be good to go if the barrel isn't choked to death :)

Thumbcocker
07-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Tried a Bowen rear sight on mine and it was not a whit better than the factory so I put the factory sight back on.

44man
07-31-2016, 08:05 AM
He has an Ultra Dot on for deer. I re-bent the trigger spring and it feels good, almost no creep.
I also drilled and tapped the butt for a sling stud, he really likes the sling on my guns. Had to cut a spacer for the Pach grips, came out good.
He never loaded before so I taught him and he left with 50 rounds done nicely and a bag of boolits.
I didn't detect much thread choke. Only thing I want to do is replace the factory hammer spring but I ran out of them. Looks like an order needs to be made.
I was making a tool when he came, cut from square key stock, milled one end to fit a 3/8" socket and centered in a 4 jaw chuck to turn the other end round, then milled to a hex to fit a drill so I can spin a 2 stroke engine to see if I have spark. Got it done while he loaded. I still kept an eye on him but he learns fast.
All in all it was a good day. I am going to teach him how to cast, I cast my 330 gr boolits, half a pot for 10# of them without a reject, why oh why didn't I cut more then a single cavity? Blame it on scrap aircraft aluminum that was not big enough. I hate those one hole things!

LUCKYDAWG13
07-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Tried a Bowen rear sight on mine and it was not a whit better than the factory so I put the factory sight back on.
I found that they were a big help with my eyes i put the rough county sights on

44man
07-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Deer move early and it is kind of dark. Opens just plain suck until the sun is up. Deer are bedded by then. Same at late afternoon when it is near dark. What kind of opens do you have? Do you wear night vision? Opens and scopes are useless until daylight.
Maybe you hunt where game comes later, I don't know.

B. Lumpkin
07-31-2016, 09:51 AM
Deer move early and it is kind of dark. Opens just plain suck until the sun is up. Deer are bedded by then. Same at late afternoon when it is near dark. What kind of opens do you have? Do you wear night vision? Opens and scopes are useless until daylight.
Maybe you hunt where game comes later, I don't know.

I agree on the open sights.

However, the high end scopes are good to go for dawn and dusk. El cheapos, not so much.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-31-2016, 09:54 AM
I agree open sights don't work well in dim light but just cant bring myself to scope my six guns
thats what my Contender and Encore are for

44man
07-31-2016, 12:45 PM
My days of opens went away with age. Need more light to see.

Thumbcocker
07-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I have Bowen's on most of my .44's. Just didn't add much to the hunter model. Most of the deer I kill are gotten between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m. The two in my avatar were. There are some others in my album. If the moderators know how to turn pictures right side up please feel free.

44man
08-01-2016, 08:23 AM
My hunting grounds are a pass through, most deer are seen at legal start times and near quitting time. Now and then it will be light enough, mostly during rut.

DougGuy
08-01-2016, 08:39 AM
My hunting grounds are a pass through, most deer are seen at legal start times and near quitting time. Now and then it will be light enough, mostly during rut.

Every time I've been to the Blue Ridge to hunt, you see them ALL DAY on Sunday while you are putting up your stand and getting your shooting lanes cleared. Come next morning, opening day, hell you won't see a deer for 3 weeks that you can shoot..

tdoyka
08-01-2016, 01:34 PM
11ish am is the best time, followed by 9ish am. good job there 44man! you have brought another into the reloading fold.

Thumbcocker
08-01-2016, 01:45 PM
I have gotten a few by waiting till the "coffee shop hunters" clear out around 10:30 or so. Woods quiet down and critters will move, especially during the rut.

bremraf
08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I shot last years deer at 2 pm. Had 4 does come to me full speed ahead. Public land though, not entirely sure someone didn't push them my way.