PDA

View Full Version : Para-Ordnance P-12

bouncer50
07-30-2016, 11:36 AM
I have one its a steel frame model. The only real reason I bought because I got it cheap 350.00 dollars. When it fully loaded it heavy to carry. The bad about the gun is the plastic mag release that broke on me had to get a steel replacement. Why in the hell a plastic mag release:sad: Also the safety would drop to fire went carrying cock and lock. But a new spring cure that problem. The main spring housing is also plastic no problem with that yet. All my other 1911 models have steel parts. The good part the Para IS dependable and fairly accurate for a short barrel model 45 auto. Would I buy another one only if I replace the plastic parts with steel[smilie=s:

paraord
07-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Well, My first pistol was a P-12. I loved that gun, dont know why though. Despite my name I dont have one anymore. That P-12 was a jam factory. Mag springs, internal springs, full length steel guiderod, all sorts of stuff I did to try to make it reliable but I just couldnt do it. And yes that gun loaded could anchor a boat!

My mag release also went if I recall correctly. But no issues wit the main spring housing. I think I also threw on an extended slide release that worked well for me.

If I were to buy another Para it would be a single stack full size. Para was ok to work with back when I needed spare parts.

I was offered a 92fs in perfect shape with a boatload of mags and a handful of holsters and traded it off. Still wouldnt mind another Para, but for now I have a raging case of wheel gun fever.

bouncer50
07-31-2016, 05:43 PM
As much as the P-12 cost new you would think they would use a steel mag release because I hear other breaking them. If I wanted a plastic gun I would buy a Glock.

Artful
07-31-2016, 06:24 PM
I have a P-13 which has done alright by me - got it just before I quit 3 gun competitive stuff so not a ton of ammo thru it but the extra capacity for gaming was right handy.

shoot-n-lead
07-31-2016, 06:30 PM
I have the Para Big Hawg 14rd double stack mag with alum frame...had it about 5yrs...it is the cat's meow. It is fantastic, reliable, accurate and alum frame makes it not too bad to carry. Yes, I would buy another in a heartbeat. But, I will say the same about my Kimber's and Rock Island's. Honestly, that Rock Island is as dependable a firearm as a man could ever need...just a no frills gun...but it will rock and roll.

Babbott213
07-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Bouncer, if you ever want to get rid of that P12, just let me know. Babbott213@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guesser
08-01-2016, 11:04 AM
I also bought a P-12 because of the price. It was a pretty good gun but was very ammunition sensitive which I attributed to the magazine being a double stack. It didn't like anything cast except the Lyman 352374. Lee RN designs didn't feed as well, as any and all SWC designs were complete and total failures; I worked with it for 2 years. It went to market and I came home with a standard design 1911 A-1 of a cheaper make; it functions flawlessly.

Babbott213
08-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I know a lot of you cast your own Boolits here and all, but my P-12's which is three and then one Warthog feeds the Xtreme copper plated rounds flawlessly. That's about all I run through my P-12's. I just passed up on buying two stainless steel models as I'm fixing to drop some dimes on a early second gen 1873 in 44-40. Wished Para Ordnance was still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bzcraig
08-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Wow, I got a P-12 as part of a trade deal in 1995 for some work I did and the only thing I ever had an issue with was a mag spring. The only reason I don't have it now is I sold it in 2012, to a guy who had one and wanted another, to fund my first AR build. I have since purchased a Para Elite Pro and it is the best 1911 I have owned.