PDA

View Full Version : cabelas blue ridge

mainiac
05-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Was looking at these yesterday at cabelas,and wanted to buy one! Am leary of a Italian gun, and want to know if you folks own them? How do they shoot? Any problems? I am intrested in a .32 or .36. All i ever had was cap guns and now i am lusting for a flint gun...... maybe. One thing i do know is that the flinter in .36 that i handled, felt very nice, and that 39 inch barrell was sweet to look down!

mooman76
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Are you sure they are Italian made? Not that I have anything against them. Some Italian gun makers do fine work. I saw nothing that said where they were made. I have quite a few guns. Some are Italian made, some Spanish and some I don't know who made them but they all shoot reasonably well and the Blue Ridge does look nice and I have thought of getting one myself from time to time but don't know what I would do with another one.
I bought a Cabelas Hawkins some years back, came with interchangeable barrels, 50 & 58 and I like it allot and it does shoot well. I've been told and I do believe (back then anyway) they were made by Lyman. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I might add most of my BP guns aren't top of the line either (CVA & Traditions) but I do have a few better grade ones.

JeffinNZ
05-25-2008, 11:24 PM
The trouble with Italian and Spanish flintlocks is they are slow and poorly built. Cap guns are not so fussy about going off but flintlocks need to be well tuned and well made. I have a 'blue printed' Deluxe Siler that gives me zero, zip, nadda trouble and providing a keep the flints sharp it goes off EVERY time and fast as a cap gun. I shoot with guys who have cheaper flinters and they have all sorts of bother with them.
Also, if you can hear a flintlock working.................it's too SLOW.

freedom475
05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I have the pedersoli jaeger. I sure like it, but it is SLOOW. I just thought thats how flinter's were. I hear guys saying that they can be fast as a cap gun but I've never seen it.

That being said.....my flintlock is my most shot rifle. I carry it every time I go treking in the mountains. Took it out this weekend in the rain, it worked just fine soaking wet as long as I wipped the flint and frizzen before fireing it. I also add a heavy "lube dam" to the barrel and frizzen to divert water that runs down the barrel around the frizzen.

I found a nice elk shed horn today, and fired the flinter about 25 times while hiking.

bullshot
05-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Seems to me I read or was told that the Blue Ridge rifles sold by Cabelas were manufactured by Pedersoli.

northmn
05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
As a rule I shy away from production flintlocks for the reasons Jeff stated. At one time I made a little money tuning them and putting the touch holes where they belong. It is one of the nicer looking production flintlocks. Were I to choose between a 32 and 36 I likely would take a 32 as neither is really good for deer. Were I seeing a lot of coyotes then a 36. The 45 is an amazingly flexible muzzleloading caliber in that it can be loaded down for small game without to much damage and works ok and deer. Better on targets at longer ranges than a 36 or 32. All are fairly easy on the pocket. If you are fairly handy with tools I would suggest that you look at Track of the Wolfs kits that are about the same price and have better components. Search under (Track of the Wolf) A Tennesse rifle would be a good first gun. A good builders site is the American Longrifle site. These kits come with pre-inlet stocks and are excellent buys. Track and Log Cabin Shop also sell handmade rifles that might be a fair buy for you.

Northmn

JudgeBAC
05-26-2008, 01:00 PM
The Blue Ridge is indeed made by Pedersoli. Muzzleloader magazine just had an article on this very rifle. The author was not crazy about the ignition caused by an unusually long channel from the pan to the powder. He remedied the problem by having a gunsmith drill out the whole to a larger size. If you are considering this rifle, I would find the article and read it.

I Haines
05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
A neighbor has had one for a couple years in .36 caliber. He slimmed the forend by taking off some of the extra wood and put a decent finish on the stock. It looks good now. The lock is a big one and sparks well. Don't think he had to do anything to get the ignition working well. IH

BigPaul
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
The Blue Ridge is Cabela's name for the Pedersoli "Frontier". As far as it goes, it is my opinion, Pedersoli makes quality pieces. I have two, a .50 cal Kentucky that I bought from Cabela, their version has a double set triggers, Dixie Gun Works version does not. The other is a .32 cal "Scout" I bought from DGW, it also has a double trigger. The .32 is of course a short gun which I purchased so my kids could shoot it. I previously owned a couple of Traditions. Again in my opinion there is no comparision in the workmanship and tolerances between the Traditions and the Pedersoli. dp wins hand down. Again just my humble 2 pennies and opine, but then what the heck to I know.................