PDA

View Full Version : first of many questions

hershey
05-25-2008, 06:11 PM
i discovered this sight in my quest to start reloading, i knew i was on a budget, and did not realize how much so until i started pricing boolits. as an apprentice reloader i am not certain that i should be using my own cast boolits, as there are allot of variables to learn on just reloading, let alone casting.

i have yet to reload my first round, but probably will soon, my first question for everyone here is does anyone out there cast for others? my first caliber will be 45 acp, followed by either 9mm, 223, or 308..... (that is based on brass quanities mostly) the high pressure rounds look like it is a much more demanding art than 45acp, hence starting there, plus i do most of my handgun shooting there.

in my employment, lead is fairly easy to come by at a fair price, i put the word out that i was looking for some, and already have accumulated 1000pds or better. i definately intend to smelt ingots soon, but i am leary of casting bullets just yet, i need to learn more. is there a successful castor that would be interested in doing some 45's for me, i can either pay in lead, or whatever, my first concern is what a properly cast boolit looks like, after reloading ones i know are good, then i will have allot better time spotting something that is not right.

Linstrum
05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Come on in, the Silver Stream is fine!

Seriously, you do not need to worry a lot about "getting your feet wet" casting, it is not that demanding to get going. We as a rule do not have engineering degrees or have extensive schooling to get started, it is for the most part self-learned in one short afternoon as far as the basics go. Advanced casting and cast boolit shooting can also be learned quite easily, just stick around here! Sure, there are fine points that take some time, but with very basic casting equipment getting started with totally satisfactory results, including at the target range, can be accomplished in a matter of a few hours!

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would be glad to trade or work something out to help get you started.

Good Luck!

targetshootr
05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
If you were local I'd be glad to help out. So where are you.

GabbyM
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I could trade bullets for lead.

Have two 45acp boolits.H&G #130 185gr. swc and Saeco #068 200gr. swc.
9mm 124gr tcfp H&G #309. Shaped like a Hornady fmjfp.
22 cal. Saeco #221 60gr. spgc
30 caliber: I've just one plain base bullet. Saeco #630 140gr. Flat point. It's a 30/30 bullet but would make a good low velocity plinker in a 308. No gas checks makes it lots cheeper.

Shipping cost in two directions puts a dent in the viability of a trade like this. If you are in driving distance to Central Illinois it would work out better.

hershey
05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
i just updated, my profile, i am a northern ohioan, i really think this will turn into an addiction, i need to get a good handle on what to be paying for lead, after looking on evil-bay, i'd say if i am into it cheap enough that i can resell at .80 cents there is allot of room there. i would like a mentor both for reloading and casting, even if it is a long distance mentor. i frequent scrap yards as part of my occupation, so maybe just being a lead scout is my best contribution. i also have a long supply of battery cable ends and to some extent wheel weights from junk cars. i think 70 pounds is the limit on flat rate boxes, that would be allot of boolits....

Wayne Smith
05-25-2008, 08:42 PM
First, don't worry much about loading cast. Get Lyman die sets with the M die and you are set. You can load to manual powder charges, get lower pressures because lead boolits slip down the barrel easier, with less resistance.

I agree about finding a mentor who can help, but this site can provide all the information you need to get well started. It will also teach you to listen to your gun to answer most of your questions - good advice all around. Stay within published data, learn the limits of the lead mix you are using, and go ahead and load. The basics of reloading are in most full reloading manuals, Lyman, Sierra, Speer, etc. The loading equipment manufacturer you choose (press, mostly) will include some basic operating instructions. There are video's online that show the process. Start simple, with a single stage press, loading one cartridge at a time. Pay close attention to safety. Load only one caliber, master that, before you step to the next. Low intensity cartridges - .45 APC, .38 Special, 45-70, etc, are a different animal than high intensity cartridges. Stick to the low intensity ones for greater success until you gain confidence.

Plan to have a lot of fun and do a lot of shooting!

Alchemist
05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Welcome hershey...

You've come to the right place for asking questions and getting good info. I recommend getting a good loading manual first (Lyman would be a great choice 'cause it covers bullet casting basics too) and read through the how-to at your leisure, then ask questions on the stuff you want clarification on. After you study up, you should have a good idea of what equipment you need. Almost all brands have a starter combo to get you started. Check out swapping & selling for gear you might be able to use...but you can't post till you have 25 posts elsewhere on the board. I'm sure you can still PM anyone you want to discuss deals with.

Cheers
Alchemist

hershey
05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
as far as equiptment, i put the word out that i was looking for reloading stuff to friends that attend estate sales etc. and i have a dillon 550 w/ several dies, and a rcbs w/ scales books dies etc., in time i intend to use the dillon and sell the rcbs, but keep the dies i forsee using etc. the dillon has the conversion and dies for 45 acp so i will start there. i am also gathering that WW's are the prefered lead of choice, rather than pure lead, as that requires adding solder or tin. i plan on checking tin prices soon at a place i should be able to buy wholesale, or call on a favor and get some for free. i have not been watching the lead market long but gather that it is in a downward trend, so i really need to figure out what a good deal is. thanx again for the help and encouragement.

docone31
05-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I agree.
I started with the Lee Hand Press and a set of dies. I made some mistakes, but never had the nightmares people told me about. I still use the Lee Hand Press to this day. It is a great unit.
The Lyman Lead Casters Handbook is a tremendous wealth of information. It also has good proven loads. It shows lead in its various alloys, crystal structure, and has great how to-s.
The main thing is attention to detail. As with anything that gets results, do the same thing that works, pay attention to detail, and most of all consistancy.
Just getting the Hand Press and dies, will give you experience very quickly. You will wonder why it seemed such an esoteric science.
I was real nervous my first loads. I was almost afraid of firing them at the range. My first shot was like my first parachute jump! I survived that, and my rifle survived it also.
The main thing, follow posted load data. Untill you can read primers, don't mess around. No biggee.
I have been reloading many years now. I have found, my rifles all have their own sweet spot that is usually just above minimum loading. The Whizzpow! warp loads some people say they use just don't work for me. My -06 I used to load 110 grain varmint loads and couldn't hit the target. Loading 180gn loads, my -06 purred like a kitten, and made clover leafs. That is that one, each rifle had its own sweet spot.
Don't be afraid, follow paths that work, ask as many questions as you can think of, and the main thing, be consistant. I still check every cartridge for a charge before I set the projectile. I have never had a squib, never had a double charge.
With lead, don't check if it is hot with your finger! It hurts. Keep it clean, keep it simple, don't throw wet bullets back into the pot, and always keep the path of heat uncluttered.
I have found this board very welcoming. My first question got reasonable answers, right out of the gate. I learned a great deal from here after many years of reloading.
I think you will also.

badgeredd
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
hershey,
Welcome aboard. If you check out the location on some of the fellows, you'll see there are many from Ohio and Michigan. There may be someone fairly close to you. It happens that one gent here is from a little town about 10 minutes from me. He's been a big help to me and I also have just started. BTW I gradiated from Montpelier.
Edd

HeavyMetal
05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Greetings and welcome aboard!

Don't be in a big rush to sell any press! I, and most of the forum, will tell you tall tales about press's they had ( usually RCBS rockchuckers) that they sold and then wound up buying back years later for more than they got for their original one!

Progressives are great to load a million of one load but not for loading 15 or 20 to try out as an experiment!

So keep the press, exercise common sense, when in doubt ask, and you'll find a nice safe way to enjoy a great hobby!

Goatlips
05-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Hershey,

I have a basic site for smelting and a little about casting that some have found useful when getting their feet wet, the pictures seem to help. As stated above, fooling with lead is easy but not simple. Just get started and plan on casting a few bad ones at first, or maybe you'll have good beginners luck. Here 'tis:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

Everyone above has good advice as you'll soon discover. Good shooting!

Goatlips

dromia
05-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Welcome to these forums Hershey and the wonderful world of cast boolits. :-D:drinks::-D

As you already found out there is a lot of knowledge, experience, advice and generosity here, its second to none.

So fear not, take your time, get your head round the process and in few months you'll be helping tyro casters like yourself. :castmine:

timkelley
05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Hershey, go to Goatlips site and spend a few minutes (I also have it stored in my Favorites). I am only a few months ahead of you and his site gave me answers to the questions about how to do this and not get burned or make a big mess.