PDA

View Full Version : Alittle help

domainfitz
07-29-2016, 05:02 PM
So i started reloading a couple years ago and stopped. Now i'm getting back to it. Right now i load 40s&w. I have to replace some equipment due to rust. Thinking of getting the lee classic turret again but i want a better powder measure. Yal suggest the Lee auto-drum or perfect powder measure? Also i had a problem with my cases bulging at the bottom. Never did get a remedy to it. Some input would be great. I'm looking to reloading for my 380 also.

jcren
07-29-2016, 05:05 PM
I use the perfect powder measure for 380, but I don't have a drum yet. Ppm can be iffy for small charges of large flake like red dot and unique, but works great for auto comp or hs6 at small charges.

rodsvet
07-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Midway sells the Redding GRX die to remove the bulge. $40 for steel or $81 for carbide. Mine is steel and has done 5M+ without a problem. Early on the carbide model had ring breakage. They may have remedied the problem. Lee also makes a bulge buster but I have no experience with it. Enjoy! Rod

Bzcraig
07-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Are you saying your cases were bulging as a result of your reloading process?

domainfitz
07-30-2016, 07:40 PM
no. its from the "glock bulge"

leeggen
07-30-2016, 08:59 PM
If I remember right the Federal cases were supposed to be a little thicker base. I think most mfg. have increased the thickness at the base to help with the bulge. An after market barrel might cure that bulge permanently.
CD

rodsvet
07-30-2016, 09:30 PM
If you carry a Glock, keep the stock barrel as it is much more reliable than the after market one. If it's just a fun gun then they are just fine. Most have a much tighter chamber that is better supported. The looseness of the stock barrel aids to it's reliable feeding. Leegen is absolutely right about helping to cure the bulge. I have a Wolf and a Barstow that shoot lead and are more accurate but don't feed as reliably. Rod

lefty o
07-31-2016, 07:33 AM
the barrel is the issue, not the casing.

w5pv
07-31-2016, 07:42 AM
On the 45C its the brass

flashhole
07-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Midway sells the Redding GRX die to remove the bulge. $40 for steel or $81 for carbide. Mine is steel and has done 5M+ without a problem. Early on the carbide model had ring breakage. They may have remedied the problem. Lee also makes a bulge buster but I have no experience with it. Enjoy! Rod

5 million!!!! If you did one every 5 seconds that equalls 6,944 hours of bulge busting. I'm impressed.

I use the Lee bulge buster kit. Very simple to use and works really well.

I load 40 S&W on my Classic Cast Turret and use the Lee Auto Drum in conjunction with Lee's Powder Through Expander Die (have the Lee Deluxe die set). Lee has done a really good job on the system aspect of their tools. They work together well. I even use the Lee Pro 4-20 lead pot with the Lee 6-cavity mold to cast my 40 cal bullets (175 grain truncated cone with the mini grooves). The Lee Alox lube system works well too.

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 01:25 PM
So i started reloading a couple years ago and stopped. Now i'm getting back to it. Right now i load 40s&w. I have to replace some equipment due to rust. Thinking of getting the lee classic turret again but i want a better powder measure. Yal suggest the Lee auto-drum or perfect powder measure? Also i had a problem with my cases bulging at the bottom. Never did get a remedy to it. Some input would be great. I'm looking to reloading for my 380 also.

What type powder are you loading? I've had nothing but great success with the Lee Auto disk (+Pro upgrade after I broke the 2nd hopper I bought). I use mainly ball powders though and smoothed out the disks with sandpaper for a better fit.

rodsvet
08-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Hey, what can I say? The K and the M are too close together when you type with only one finger. Rod

Old Scribe
08-01-2016, 12:41 AM
I really like the Lee Auto Drum. Since I have been using it I have much better consistency than I had with the PPM.
I've kept the PPM for backup.

08-01-2016, 06:38 AM
no. its from the "glock bulge"

Reusing brass that has been Glock bulged is begging to get hurt. Get an aftermarket barrel and eliminate the bulge. I have the Glock 19 in 9mm and a KKM barrel that fully supports the case or atleast much more to the extent I don't have a bulge.

As for powder measure, the Lee auto drum on the Lee classic turret press is amazing! I have that setup for 9mm and the Lee PPM for rifle where I'm weighing each throw.

08-01-2016, 06:41 AM
5 million!!!! If you did one every 5 seconds that equalls 6,944 hours of bulge busting. I'm impressed.

I use the Lee bulge buster kit. Very simple to use and works really well.

I load 40 S&W on my Classic Cast Turret and use the Lee Auto Drum in conjunction with Lee's Powder Through Expander Die (have the Lee Deluxe die set). Lee has done a really good job on the system aspect of their tools. They work together well. I even use the Lee Pro 4-20 lead pot with the Lee 6-cavity mold to cast my 40 cal bullets (175 grain truncated cone with the mini grooves). The Lee Alox lube system works well too.

"M" means thousands. I think he's saying he has done 5000+.

flashhole
08-01-2016, 07:27 AM
"M" means millions, "K" means thousands. I figured it was a mistake.

08-01-2016, 08:39 AM
"M" means millions, "K" means thousands. I figured it was a mistake.

I meant HE meant "M" is thousands. He obviously wasn't processing cases at 5 seconds for 6944 hours. Everyone knows it takes a full 7 seconds each. Lol.

flashhole
08-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Forgive me, I underestimated the time. It would be 9722 hours at 7 second a case.

leeggen
08-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Hey give a guy a break, he is only off a few 100,000.LOL I load for a 40S&W also but I weigh each powder load one at a time, sorry.
CD

Moonie
08-02-2016, 11:52 PM
I've used the ppm, the disk's both non and pro versions and I now have the auto drum. Of the 3 I much prefer the auto drum. It seems to be much more consistent with smaller charges of Unique than the disks and doesn't leak or bind up using the small ball powders like the disk and ppm do. Until today I hadn't used my ppm in a while for W296, was loading some rounds for my new 500 S&W Encore barrel that came in today and the fine balls caused the ppm to get sticky and try to bind on me.