PDA

View Full Version : Can't seat CCI 400 SRP without mashing them in crimped .223 cases

chutestrate
07-29-2016, 09:04 AM
I have used the Lyman Primer Pocket reamer for small primers but I still have a hard time seating primers. I'm mashing most of them. I went back with a few, and the reamer isn't cutting any more material. Is there a better tool?

kayala
07-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Dillon Super Swage (http://www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600-parts_8_8_25290.html). Pricey but works like a charm.

bruce drake
07-29-2016, 09:43 AM
1/4" drill bit. kiss the primer pocket with the bit to bevel the crimp out. A light touch is all that is needed to remove the primer crimp and allow the primers to seat easily.

chutestrate
07-29-2016, 09:53 AM
I thought about doing the drill bit, but the lyman tool has already beveled the primer pocket. Thought it might be too much.

str8wal
07-29-2016, 11:41 AM
I use a 45 degree countersink bit in a cordless drill that is designed for chamfering holes for flathead screws but it does a nice job of chamfering the crimp in 223 cases. Doesn't take much so be careful.

mdi
07-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Lifelong machinist/mechanic's opinion. When I first encountered primer crimps I immediatey went to a plain old counter sink; 1/2" 60 degree HS steel. Very easy to use. Quick, and I've never taken out "too much" metal (I believe you'd have to take out a good 1/3rd of the pocket depth to have any adverse effect on the brass). Counter sinks (or case chamfer tool) works just fine, can be found at most hardware stores, and is inexpensive. I've done a few thousand 30-06, 7.62x51, 45 ACP, and 9mm, never a problem and easy enough to make sure all the crimp is removed. http://www.mcmaster.com/#countersinks/=135h8he

mdi
07-30-2016, 12:20 PM
I thought about doing the drill bit, but the lyman tool has already beveled the primer pocket. Thought it might be too much.
I believe it would be difficult to "accidentally" remove too much metal from the primer pocket mouth with most tools used for the purpose. I have cut about 1/8" inch off the pocket mouth, at 60 degrees, and loaded a couple for my 308 (also when I used a Lee Loader in .44 Magnum many years ago, I chamfered the primer pockets to eliminate primer pops when seating new primers and did cut some excessively). I had no "leaks" or "primer blow-by", and fired primers were not distorted. Some of the primer crimps can be fairly stout, displacing metal prolly .060"-.070" deep, so cut as much as needed...

popper
07-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Hornady PP uniformer tool. Removes that last ridge of crimp. I've even had to use it on swaged PP.

Outpost75
07-30-2016, 12:33 PM
+1 on the Dillon Super Swage! Proper adjustment is also necessary, but once set you are good to go.

376Steyr
07-30-2016, 12:34 PM
What brand of case are you having trouble with? Some of the brands of imported ammo are not reloader-friendly.

osteodoc08
07-30-2016, 08:29 PM
I have been using a chamfer tool with the center prong end chucked in my cordless drill and use the other end to kiss the inside of a crimped brass. It puts a tiny bevel on it and is good to go. Same idea as using the counter sink or Philips head idea chucked in a cordless drill. You'll get the hang of it and doesn't take hardly any time at all

garym1a2
07-31-2016, 09:15 PM
RCBS trim mate prep center, military crimp remover works great for me.

JeffG
07-31-2016, 10:34 PM
I use the RCBS primer pocket swaging tool and like it

RP
07-31-2016, 11:23 PM
I too use the RCBS tool but have found the tool for deburing case necks the inside end will cut a bevel with just a twist or two and I have it on hand.

Wis. Tom
08-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Dillon Super Swage vote here. After adjusted, does a great job.

country gent
08-01-2016, 11:03 AM
I too use the dillon super swage tool on crimped primer pockets. I also will lightly chamfer with a lyman vld style deburring tool, Just enough to see the flat cut. This gives a nice smooth entry for the primers.I have run into some brass that the primer pockets while not crimped were on the small side and were a bear to prime until swaged or reamed. I perfer to swage as it dosnt remove metal but reforms it. But reaming of chamfering works well also.

casac47
08-01-2016, 03:32 PM
The only way I have had consistent success seating primers in .223 brass is to "routine" it by sizing the primer pocket and adding a chamfer. It takes time and it's something I do when I get a can full of brass. Naturally, once you've done this, you want to recover as much of your "shooters" as possible.

Echo
08-01-2016, 05:38 PM
I use the RCBS primer pocket swaging tool and like it
I've used this for decades, still do, but also use the Lyman reamers...

RogerDat
08-01-2016, 06:03 PM
These work. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-hex-bit-countersink-tool-68535.html shaft fits my rechargeable screwdriver which is lighter weight than a drill to be holding up to each case. Would be better as 60* angle but too big to go in the little hole at the base.

Dillon runs around $100 I think the ones that use a support inside the case yield more consistent results if one sorts your brass. The primer pocket swage is in effect indexing off of the inside of the case, some have thicker bases. I use an CH4D primer pocket swager at less than $40 it is much cheaper. http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/priming-tools/psk It can be hard on the case bottom since it grips the base using the extraction groove, have to use some care adjusting correctly. Do not want to adjust too far up with the swage rod. Have found even the least little amount of Lee case lube on the rod helps the swage go in easier. On the other hand the CH4D might be more consistent since they index off of that extraction groove and it tends to be very consistent across the different types of brass.

Dillon (and RCBS) has bench mounted version. CH4D is a die set that goes in a single stage press. Not a huge issue to locate I will say without the chamfer bit I find the primers are riding high and a firing ping strike will fail far too often so I do both, swage and chamfer primer pocket. It is after all a one time operation.

Garyshome
08-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Dillon Super Swage (http://www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600-parts_8_8_25290.html). eventually it may cost less then a bunch of mashed primers + aggravation.

deltaenterprizes
08-02-2016, 07:04 PM
the Lyman SPP tool that came with my Lyman case prep tool did not work nor did the replacement, cheap Chineese junk, I ordered a RCBS, problem solved!
The old Lyman hand primer pocket reamer works well but is slow.

scattershot
08-02-2016, 11:43 PM
I use a 45 degree countersink bit in a cordless drill that is designed for chamfering holes for flathead screws but it does a nice job of chamfering the crimp in 223 cases. Doesn't take much so be careful.

Me, too. Works like a charm.