PDA

View Full Version : Equipment rusting

domainfitz
07-29-2016, 06:59 AM
I have a classic Lee turret set-up. I live on the Gulf Coast so rust is horrible. Do yal have any remedies for setying up in the garage and keeping rust off?

dragon813gt
07-29-2016, 07:04 AM
Keep everything oiled. I live in the rust belt and it's a constant battle. Either move anything that rusts into a climate controlled area or keep them well oiled.

Smoke4320
07-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Birchwood Cacy (sp) barricade
Get it in the spray version. Works extremely well and does not attract dust/dirt

ole 5 hole group
07-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Hornady One Shot HD-Extreme will work well for you - just coat everything 2 or 3 times a year depending upon your conditions and you can also use it to clean and keep your firearms corrosion free as well.

Wayne Smith
07-29-2016, 07:55 AM
And Evaporust to remove what's there.

domainfitz
07-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Thank yal

Rockzilla
07-30-2016, 12:38 PM
And Evaporust to remove what's there.

^^^ this and works great...used it on some very old reloading equipment..
Eezox....

some reading
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/10/rust-blocker-comparison-test-video-reveals-the-ugly-truth/

-Rock

Yodogsandman
07-30-2016, 01:34 PM
I use old motor oil.

EDG
07-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Birchwood Casey Barricade, Hornady One Shot with the extra rust guard component and maybe RIG are about the best you can do outside.

The best solution is inside an house with refrigerated AC set to keep the humidity at about 50% RH. I am about 160 miles from the gulf and I understand what you are dealing with.
The best you can do is take it out of the garage so you can use it year round.

DerekP Houston
07-30-2016, 03:55 PM
I keep a greasy rag from ATF changes handy for anything that might rust. Ain't the best i'm sure but it beats leaving things exposed to the elements.

lightload
07-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Consider removing the turret(with its dies)and storing them inside a GI ammo box after treating for rust. The handle might fit too.

RP
07-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Johnston paste wax works good on table saw decks not sure how it work on press or dies just a thought.

casac47
08-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Installed a ceiling fan in the garage to at least move the air around. I keep a shaving brush with oil in it close at hand. Everything gets a light coat after use or removal of rust.

Moleman-
08-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Birchwood casey sheath or barricade (new name) is great stuff. It kept my rem 870 express from turning orange at the end of a long day of waterfowl hunting in the rain/wet dog ect. That stupid thing rusts if you look at it wrong. much worse than any other blued gun I have. Out of our group I was the only guy that initially switched to sheath/barricade and it was apparent on the first misty day. After that I've used it on any other steel parts that I don't want to rust including tools.

Bama
08-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Lived in Louisiana for 14 years and shop was unheated. Lathes, presses, and dies would get red haze rusting before I started using RIG . An advanced rusting test was done in early 80's where they tested all rust preventative products (over 36) sold at that time. They used a heated salt water spray and hung high stressed test strips in air stream at other end . At end of 48 days only two had not rusted through, Rig and Cosmoline. I use the grease version on all blued guns, presses,and lathes. It only takes a little on a cotton cloth and use to wipe down what you want to protect. I believe it was developed during WW2 to coat guns going to Pacific. It works.

JeffG
08-01-2016, 10:25 PM
I used a product called S100 in my motorcycle riding days, which was great on bare aluminum motors. I now use that on the exterior surfaces of my reloading dies, presses, etc. Rust won't start with that stuff on it.

RP
08-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Had not thought of the rig on my presses and dies but the fellow that gave me his reloading stuff when he retired form shooting talked about how great it was. So when I found some I scooped it up and been using it on my firearms and it works great. I keep a rag in the container it comes in and wipe my firearms down with it anytime they come out of the safe and about twice a year I pull them all out and give them a wipe down. In the south it pays to keep metal oiled one reason I love the brass molds.
Two best things for my shop rig and kroil oh and AC lol

Walter Laich
08-02-2016, 10:06 AM
going in another direction I put cloth machine covers or cheap wally world pillow cases over all of my bench mounted machines. Seems to help greatly down here is Houston area. I even use empty 25 lb shot bags over my single stage
don't use plastic bags and they will trap moisture--cloth will allow some ventilation.

sirgknight
08-04-2016, 12:40 PM
I live in south Georgia and humidity is a killer. Here is something that has really aided me in keeping moisture from my presses. I took some old soiled hand towels (you can use whatever rags you have that will completely cover your press) and sprayed them with WD-40, just enough to give them a good coating on one side. I then draped the sprayed side of the towels over my presses and just let them hang over them between uses. I have sprayed the towels only once and have been using them for several years. Amazing how clean and moisture free the draped towels will keep your press. I have a towel draped over a Lee Classic Turret and a Lee single stage. Never have a rust problem.
P.S. I have a huge chicken house fan mounted outside my reloading building so that the air will flow through it. It is wonderful for keeping me cooler but if I leave my presses unprotected (naked) and run that fan I can almost watch the rust build on the presses. That moving air is a definite enemy of any metal service that the air touches. Ceiling fans or any other kind of air movement will have the same adverse effect. The key to preserving the press is to keep it from being exposed to the open air and the towels do exactly that.

ghh3rd
08-14-2016, 11:43 PM
I couldn't stand having to continually fight to keep my reloading stuff from getting patches of rust from being in the garage. Besides it's to darned hot to reload in the summer and sometimes too cold in the winder. I use a 4' long Craftsman tool chest as my reloading bench every drawer is full of reloading supplies. My loving wife actually suggested moving it into our bedroom ... that red bench sure looks purty in the corner next to the bureau. :-)

w5pv
08-15-2016, 08:54 AM
After removing any rust spray it Johnson spray furniture wax,one step is probably also good,Keep it sprayed and it will never rust.Learned this from a guy that had a bicycle that stayed looking new and it was years old and been in an chemical all of that time.