PDA

View Full Version : New to me Armi-Sport Kentuckey Rifle 45 caliber

roots911
07-28-2016, 08:34 PM
173568Was at my favorite LGS a few days ago and he had a 1985 mfg Armi Sport Kentuckey rifle that came in with a bunch of TC Hawkins. The Kentuckey was treated as a red headed stepchild and only required a small pittance to release it from bondage and have it follow me home. The gun is in terrific shape with a mirror bore and a nice walnut stock. All my other front stuffers are TC's and I know very little about Armi Sport guns. The barrel is integral with the machined breach block. The lock is smooth and sparkes well and the frizzen seals the pan well. The barrel appears to have about a 1 in 36 or so twist and has an integral breech block. Does anyone know how good the proof testing was on these Italian guns? I know that some Spanish guns of the period are reported to have very low proof pressures. Any feed back from owners or former owners of this model gun would be appreciated. I am figuring on starting loads with a RB around 60 gr and working up for accuracy. My TC 45 cal likes 80 gr for good groups at 100 yds. Thanks in advance for any info supplied. Will post pics in the next few days. Mfgr and year were verified from stamps on the gun.

Ithaca Gunner
07-28-2016, 08:55 PM
I shot with a fellow in the early 80's who had an Armisport Hawkins rock lock. It shot as well as a TC, maybe a tad better.

jjarrell
07-30-2016, 04:30 PM
Very nice rifle Roots!

jjarrell
07-30-2016, 04:31 PM
You'll have to post some pics of the groups you get out of it.

Martini450
08-02-2016, 12:26 AM
I have exactly the same rifle, picked it up new around '85 or '86 at a gun show. Mine is marked "Kentuckian" on the top flat of the barrel at the breach; the rifle is absolutely identical to yours (thanks for the pictures). Showed a lot of potential for accuracy when I got it, but the frizzen face was too soft, and it never would throw a hot enough spark for reliable ignition, so the gun just hung around in the corner of my gun room for years. I picked up an L&R lock for it 14-15 years ago and got about half way through installing it, but only got around to finishing it early this Spring. I've now had it to the range three or four times, and with the new lock and good english flints from Track of the Wolf, it is utterly dependable. Mine shoots a .440 ball patched with pillow ticking and Bore Butter for lube. I've used both GOEX 2f and Swiss 1.5f, at 50, 60, and 70 grains, but it seems to like the 70 grain Swiss load best. At 50 yards it's good for 1.5" three shot groups, and I believe it will do better with younger eyes then mine.

I had been meaning to get my rifle up and running for years, and now that it is, I've shot it more than anything else the last few months. There's just something special about spending a leisurely morning at the range with an accurate flintlock rifle. Hopefully you won't have issues with your frizzen, but if you do I'm sure a decent smith can harden it for you, or you could look into an L&R like I did. The rifle was worth it. It was a real treat to see your post so soon after getting mine up and running-thanks for posting.

roots911
08-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Martini450 - Thanks for the reply. The info you provided is appreciated. Haven't shot mine yet but will post results when I do. My rifle was browned and I can not see a seam where a breech plug was screwed in. Can you see a joint line on your gun? Also my touch hole was drilled and has no liner. Does your barrel have the 1 in 36 twist also? My cleaning rod with a tight patch does almost 1 revolution when pushed thru the entire length of the barrel. I am going to try some 220 gr maxi balls to see how they shoot in this relatively fast twist. Thanks again, Frank

Martini450
08-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Frank-My rifle's barrel is blued, and you can see just the slightest joint line where the tang meets the breech. Like yours, the touch hole has no liner. The barrel measures 35" from the muzzle to the joint line you asked about. I ran a tight patch from muzzle to breech about a half hour ago; the mark on the rod made about a 3/4 turn, so my calculator tells me mine is a 1:48 inch twist. I'd be very interested in hearing how your rifle performs, both with round and maxi balls. As I said, I've been very pleased with mine. Looks like you picked up a nice looking rifle at a good price, and my guess you're going to be happy with how it shoots, too.

roots911
08-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Martini450- When I shoot her I will let you know the results. I do appreciate the info you have posted. Thanks, Frank

Newtire
04-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Frank-My rifle's barrel is blued, and you can see just the slightest joint line where the tang meets the breech. Like yours, the touch hole has no liner. The barrel measures 35" from the muzzle to the joint line you asked about. I ran a tight patch from muzzle to breech about a half hour ago; the mark on the rod made about a 3/4 turn, so my calculator tells me mine is a 1:48 inch twist. I'd be very interested in hearing how your rifle performs, both with round and maxi balls. As I said, I've been very pleased with mine. Looks like you picked up a nice looking rifle at a good price, and my guess you're going to be happy with how it shoots, too.

I know this is an old posting. So, what does time have to do with information? Last time I heard, history is still being taught in schools. So anyways, I have one of those rifles in .50 cal. A .490 ball & an .015" patch is just too tight so switched to a .480" ball and an .015" Patch. Goes down nice and slick. I thought .50" was a little big for this slim of a barrel but so far, it hasn't blown up. I like how light in weight it is and I am really impressed at how reliable it is. The lock uses a fairly small flint but it sets off the powder just fine. Mine is real accurate too.

I just saw another one on G.B. and will be keeping an eye out for when the nice mail lady comes up the walk with my parcel. Couldn't help myself! Hoping this one is as good as the first one. This one is in .44 cal it says. Should make a nice plinker.

toot
04-08-2020, 09:10 AM
you did good!