PDA

View Full Version : 1920s and earlier Loading Presses

Oyeboten
07-28-2016, 04:20 PM
I want to know more about what Loading Presses were available for Bench Top use, in the early 1900s.

Anyone have any info or images?

Bent Ramrod
07-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Ideal had a couple Armory Presses, which were large heavy bench presses for reloading military calibers. Hueter Brothers had the "Perfection" loading tool, which was a small light press. Yankee had a semi-bench tool which could allegedly be used as a hand tool as well, along with a bench tool that looked like a bottle capper. Belding and Mull had a horizontal "press" which was very light duty; it only necksized.

You ought to join the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association. Their quarterly discusses these old tools and their web site has some pictures and discussions on some of them.

labradigger1
07-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Modern bond clamp on vertical press

Pressman
07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
CV Schmitt Model 16, really, really big vertical press. But for the early part of the century there was only one bench mounted press, the Ideal Armory. Oyeboten, email me at the address in my signature and I can help.

Ken

Oyeboten
07-29-2016, 02:26 AM
Ideal had a couple Armory Presses, which were large heavy bench presses for reloading military calibers. Hueter Brothers had the "Perfection" loading tool, which was a small light press. Yankee had a semi-bench tool which could allegedly be used as a hand tool as well, along with a bench tool that looked like a bottle capper. Belding and Mull had a horizontal "press" which was very light duty; it only necksized.

You ought to join the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association. Their quarterly discusses these old tools and their web site has some pictures and discussions on some of them.

Thank you!

I just filled out the "join" forms on line for the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association forum, but it looks like there is no actual forum there, even though they invite one to join it...so...hmmm...odd..!

Oyeboten
07-29-2016, 02:28 AM
Modern bond clamp on vertical press

I had heard of "Moden Bond" in regards to Bullet Molds, and so on your mention there, I did some googling and looks like Bond and then Modern Bond had all kinds of nice stuff back when. Nice Powder Dispensers, for sure. Only found oe image of a small little light duty Bench Mount Press, but, I was not able to make much sense of it, so...I will keep looking. Thanks!

labradigger1
07-29-2016, 04:58 AM
I have one of the clamp on presses by modern bond with 30-06 dies. If I remember I'll snap a pic tonight after work and post it.

Bent Ramrod
07-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Oyeboten,

That line of buttons across the top of the ARTCA home page has "Forums" about the fourth one. You have to register to get anything but a "Forums Empty" notice if you click on it. It's definitely worth the effort to join, and costs nothing (Association membership has a nominal fee and gets you the Journal); those guys are real scholars and us accumulators benefit greatly from their research work.

I'd forgotten about the Modern Bond bench tool. It was probably the worst loading tool ever designed. Slower and worse leverage than a tong tool.

The Hueter "Perfection" tool was bought out by Pacific in the 1920's and they continued with it until they designed the revolutionary "C" press we still have today.

Ideal pretty much had the lock on the market until the 14-18 War curtailed the civilian production of loading tools. Marlin had bought out Ideal, and then dropped the line to concentrate on war production. Many operations started up in the resulting vacuum, offering their own designs, before Lyman bought Ideal and revived the line in 1928 or thereabouts. After that, things were wide open; everybody was designing loading presses.

Oyeboten
07-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Oyeboten,

That line of buttons across the top of the ARTCA home page has "Forums" about the fourth one. You have to register to get anything but a "Forums Empty" notice if you click on it. It's definitely worth the effort to join, and costs nothing (Association membership has a nominal fee and gets you the Journal); those guys are real scholars and us accumulators benefit greatly from their research work.

I'd forgotten about the Modern Bond bench tool. It was probably the worst loading tool ever designed. Slower and worse leverage than a tong tool.

The Hueter "Perfection" tool was bought out by Pacific in the 1920's and they continued with it until they designed the revolutionary "C" press we still have today.

Ideal pretty much had the lock on the market until the 14-18 War curtailed the civilian production of loading tools. Marlin had bought out Ideal, and then dropped the line to concentrate on war production. Many operations started up in the resulting vacuum, offering their own designs, before Lyman bought Ideal and revived the line in 1928 or thereabouts. After that, things were wide open; everybody was designing loading presses.

My "join" went through and I can now access the forum!

Thanks!

Whew!! Lots of info to be pouring through!