PDA

View Full Version : GRF 20ga. Trade Gun Issues Finally Solved!

Maven
07-28-2016, 02:10 PM
173192Several years ago, I purchased a used Green River Forge 20ga. smoothbore trade gun (a copy of a Barnett I think), but experienced too many hang fires to suit me. I then took it to a local BP builder/'smith to have the vent liner replaced with a Jim Chambers White Lightnin liner. Oddly enough, there was no improvement until I inadvertently opened the touch hole diameter...to the diameter of the copper wire in Romex cable! That sure fixed the problem, but it self primed and shot a nasty jet of gas and powder debris to the right; didn't affect accuracy though.

In May I decided to try replacing that enlarged vent liner with another White Lightnin liner (pretty easy, but not a 5 minute job), and rebrown the entire bbl. while it was out of the stock. (I used Laurel Mt. Forge browning solution, which I'd rate 10 out of 10 pts. for ease and effectiveness.) Btw, the browning turned out great. Anyway, Wednesday was the first time I test fired it, and am happy to say that the gas jet and self priming have been eliminated, but there's still an occasional delay before the main charge goes off. A sharp flint and damp swabbing the chamber area after 5 shots help, as does using a vent pick on occasion.

As for accuracy, I was using a .597" patched round ball* + a corrugated cardboard over powder wad and 70gr. Wano FFFg and had little trouble hitting clay pigeons or parts of them @ 25yd. kneeling with my right arm on the bench. Although it was too hot for an extensive test, I did manage to put 3 shots in less than 3"on a NMLRA postal match target before a thunderstorm ended any further shooting. I'm OK with that as the gun has no rear sight, so it's a matter of cheek weld, consistent hold & trigger pressure, and follow through. Btw, the gun does equally well with patched RB's of .597" - .600" diameter, but nothing larger, Additionally, it's not a big fan of a bare ball with over powder and over shot wads or tow wads fore and aft either.

Yesterday, with no thunderstorms in the forecast, I took the trade gun to the range for a second trial. This time I damp swabbed the breech only after the first 5 shots (no crud ring or powder chunks!) and pricked out the touch hole for most shots. I was rewarded with just one fairly brief hang fire and pretty good accuracy (see the attached photo**). I also increased the charge slightly to 75gr. as I mixed a few ounces of Graf's/Wano FFFg into my Diamondback FFg, mostly to use it up in a sensible manner. Btw, I normally use 80gr. Diamondback FFg. In addition, I substituted Lee Precision .60cal. RB's (.598") for the Tanners, as I was running out of the latter. The Lee mold casts beautifully, and has the added advantage of a sprue cutter/plate. Both the Lee and Tanner molds cast a ~318gr. -.320gr. ball.

*.018" pillow ticking patch. A thicker patch in a smoothbore just makes it harder to start and seat a ball with little overall improvement in accuracy. Patch lube was 1 Ballistol : 6 water.

**17 shots @ 25 yd. Hit @ 6 0'clock was the minor hang fire. Shifting position of the sun (on the front sight) may help explain the shift in impacts to the right.

rfd
07-28-2016, 05:59 PM
each trad ml has its own wants and needs for consistent ignition, just gotta experiment. for my chris walker .62 smoothbore, i cast .600 balls and use .010" or .012" patch strips lubed with either gato feo (bpcr bullet lube) or lehigh valley, along with 60 to 70 grains of swiss 3f down the tube AND in the pan (about 1/3rd pan, with a clear area to the touch hole). i always clean the pan, frizzen and edge of the flint, as well as poke a pick into the touch hole. i get good ignition, good accuracy, and there is never a need to swab between shots. so, it will always come down to the geometry of the firearm, the components used for the load, and the load process itself.

i'll add - it pays big dividends to have an ml built right, and with good build components!

waksupi
07-29-2016, 11:07 AM
The only time I get hang fires, is if I get fouling build up on the face of the breech plug. Accuracy goes away when that happens, too. So, about every 8-10 shots, I get out the breech scraper and get the cement off the plug face. If you aren't over priming, and the vent is located properly, this is the only cause I know of.

rancher1913
07-29-2016, 12:27 PM
I have one that only likes 4f in the frizzen, anything else and I get hang fires or very delayed ignition.

Maven
08-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Ric, While I had the trade gun bbl. out of the stock and the old vent liner out of the gun, I did some grinding on the breech face with a small mill in my Dremel flex shaft since the breech face intruded into the powder space. That seemed to help, as I now get only an occasional hang fire, and that's likely due to BP residue at the breech face, as you deduced. I've already started cleaning after every 5 - 10 shots to improve reliability; using a pick after every other shot helps too. Thanks for the tip!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-03-2016, 03:08 PM
we have a pair of Lyman great planes rifles the club owns that the kids use , I found that if the frizzen and pan was swiped between every shot I use the patch to wipe , a torch tip cleaner inserted in the vent and then slightly moistened patch with speed juice run after every shot , I take the patch flip it over and load the ball on top of it with no seen issues with accuracy

this works till the flint gets worn or one of the kids forgets a step or short cuts the loading procedure

we have 2 of these a right and a left , the one had a replacement liner at some point , the other not , the larger liner is slightly more forgiving in this procedure but only for 2-3 shots then your in the same hang fire or not firing mess

using diamond back 3fg for pan and charge light 30 gr target loads

Col4570
08-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Just lately I have been inserting a Pricker the same size as the touch hole whilst loading and prior to priming the Pan.It seems to work on my rifle better than just loading and priming.Wiping the condensation out of the Pan each time is a good move.

Maven
08-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Col4570, The trade gun requires picking the touch hole perhaps after every other shot whereas my Chambers' Isaac Haines does only rarely. You're right about wiping the pan, which I do after every shot with both guns.