PDA

View Full Version : Unique and dipper loading

popper
07-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Can't find any 2400 so I guess I'll use up some unique for 30/30 plinker loads. IIRC, doesn't do well in uniflow. Used to use a case with wax in bottom for a dipper but IIRC I tossed it. Has anyone tried using a vibrator to settle the dipper charge with Unique or is that a bad idea? Or just leave it fluffy and scrape the top off? I'll be testing ~8gr w/wo dacron to check a new mould for accuracy. Trying to reduce vertical stringing I got few years back when I was experimenting with Unique.

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Your Uniflow will work fine. To get more consistent charges, I go to full up, then down just a little and back up full open causing a small tap at the top of the stroke. I do this "tap" twice in both the charge and dump positions. Helps quite a bit. The Lyman powder measures have a small knocker built right on to them. Also helps with big stick powders to prevent bridging.

mdi
07-28-2016, 07:33 PM
If you choose to use a dipper, develop a technique that is exactly the same every dip, as possible. When I was "on a roll" I could keep about .1 grain variation of some powders and slightly less exacting with Unique. Depending on your method, you can vary the charge by a full grain by using different techniques (dip backwards, push through mouth first, tap the dipper, strike the dipper mouth, shake the full dipper side to side, etc.). But quite often I use a scale with my dippers just for keeping my peace of mind...

GhostHawk
07-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Mdi nailed it.

Do it any way that suits you, just pick a method that is repeatable. The fewer operations the fewer variables.

I do a single tap on the side of the glass bowl I dip out of and that is it. When first making the dipper I will weigh 10 charges once I think I am close, then average.

With good habits + or - 0.1 grain is very doable.

Dryer sheets are handy for preventing static cling.

popper
07-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Repeatable - that is why I thought of the vibrator method - to settle the powder. Wife has a small foot massager I can use. But maybe I'm overthinking it - does 0.2 gr. difference in a 30/30 case make ANY difference?

mdi
07-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Whenever I'm using a dipper in in the "K.I.S.S. zone". The fewer tools, equipment, moves, etc., the better...8-)

GhostHawk
07-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Exactly so mdi, you may be preaching to the choir but it is good stuff so keep it coming!

opos
07-30-2016, 07:51 AM
I am a lower volume loader so I stick to the old tried and true "dip and trickle" into a scale pan method...(rifle and load development---I use a Lee autodrum measure for handgun loads and higher volume loads with powders that will measure). I found that with the "checking" of loads when using a measure or just a dipper was almost as slow as dipping (I can really dip consistant loads) just a tad under the target load and then using my RCBS trickler to top things off (into my 5-0-5 scale)..I can move right along and am always where I want to be. Certainly with an easy measuring powder and the "auto drum" it's quicker by far to drop loads but still check about every 7th or 8th round for consistancy.

edwardware
07-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Your Uniflow will work fine. To get more consistent charges, I go to full up, then down just a little and back up full open causing a small tap at the top of the stroke. I do this "tap" twice in both the charge and dump positions.

Tap once at the top of the stroke (fill position) and twice at the bottom (charge position), and always run 20 charges though the measure to let the column settle before starting into your cases.

I've found the variation drops by 50% after the first 10 charges thrown.