PDA

View Full Version : Mag spark stuck (AGAIN)

Edward
07-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I got a Mag spark stuck awhile back in my TC and Warren Outdoors kindly sent a replacement and advised cleaning after 5-6 shots and I haven"t had a problem till this week.Got my new GM 1-30 twist 45 cal barrel and had a brand new Mag spark (never seized) and managed to get it stuck anyway .I tried blaster /heat/and patience and after a long night managed to strip the allen wrench anyhow .So I got to asking a member here (whom I have a lot of respect for) and he basically said leave it as he never removes them,just keeps the cap clean and the inside of the nipple portion . My question is I have always removed nipples before when cleaning barrels and am trying to get opinions . If I had to remove it I would be trashing a new Mag Spark and I really like them except for the stuck part !

OverMax
07-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Brand of 209 primer used?

oldracer
07-27-2016, 10:55 PM
I use a MagSpark in several of my muzzle loaders and found that using the knife blade in the small gap between the body and the 209 primer very carefully will work it out. To prevent this I do several things: first is to wet the primer with some spit before inserting it, helps it come out later. Next I found a drill bit the same size as the inside of the adapter and use it to scrape out fouling after every shot by turning it with my fingers. I did have on stuck so bad it would not come out so I heated the adapter (held with needle nose pliers) with a very large soldering iron then I placed an ice cube exactly on the 209 primer and it sure hissed and such, but fell right out!

johnson1942
07-28-2016, 07:45 AM
never take the magspark out of the breech. when you use 209 powder their will be no gunk down their anyways. no rust, no gunk no need to take it out. use teflon plumbers tape to put it in if you wanting it coming out easier.

Edward
07-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice,guess this GM barrel is a dedicated BH 209 barrel from now on as the Mag spark ain"t coming out .Johnson 1942 again thanks for your advice(AGAIN) Ed

edwardware
07-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Bit of Kroil, and a bit of careful wiggling, with the muzzle in a safe direction.

FrontierMuzzleloading
08-04-2016, 06:17 PM
anti seize or plumbers tape.

I had a bad experience with that thing when it ripped in half while shooting. Never touched one since that happened.

johnson1942
08-04-2016, 07:32 PM
a couple of years ago the run was not made to the inventors specs. they blew apart. it happened to me. he has since changed the machinest who does them and they do it to the safe specs and they are now good to go. never ever put powder in with the shot gun primer. they will blow apart that way. pedersolI also makes a shot gun primer nipple in american threads only. they are very strong and work good also.