PDA

View Full Version : What to do in soda spring idaho shooting wise

cbashooter
07-27-2016, 07:23 PM
A week long family thing on the wife's side.are there public places to go shoot? I'm debating about bringing my cap and balls for the relatives to try out.

starmac
07-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Runfiverun will be along, but I would say take them, I would think you should be able to drive a few miles in any direction and find a place to shoot.

runfiverun
07-27-2016, 09:14 PM
well.
if by place to shoot you mean shooting range, your in luck.
i'll be down there Saturday.
now it only goes to 300 yds and is covered on the rifle side.
the 22 range only goes to 100.
the silhouette range is in meters [200] it has no benches, but it's covered.

the pistol areas are mine for scrounging lead leave that alone...
but they do have a covered portion and picnic tables.
there is a couple bay's with just steel cut outs and falling steel plates, unless I get down there and replace the wooden target backer in #3.
the two bathrooms are just forest campground type cement structures [no running water]
but they are usually kept clean.
if you want to shoot clay targets you go past the pistol ranges and into the gravel pit back there, bring your own thrower.
or ask to borrow mine, it slides in your trucks trailer stab.

now.
if by 800 yd long range black powder silhouette range your still in luck.
but you gotta drive about 4 miles north.
and if by 'drive for 10-20 minutes in about any direction' and shoot your good.
if you wanna about a mile at a hill your still in luck.
there's a big meadow up 8 mile canyon that's almost dead level and has a road paralleling the flat open valley.

other N that your outta luck.
oh... leave your rifle/pistol in your truck.
or you'll end up standing around talking to someone about it for an hour or so and be late to where your going.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6431783,-111.5781763,275m/data=!3m1!1e3

cbashooter
07-28-2016, 12:03 AM
Im looking for kind of a casual place to shoot I could just take kids. I don't mind ,I can run a mile uphill that sounds fun! Heck I'll see if the Gentry boys will follow me

runfiverun
07-28-2016, 09:10 AM
it's about as casual as it gets.
no RO's so you have to agree to go down and change targets or whatever.
if a member is there and it gets a little busy they will generally take over and call cease fires and such as needed.
there is no FEE to use the facility's.
I usually have the place all to myself on week day's and most sunday mornings.
if there is a lever gun silhouette shoot going on they take over the rifle side of the range. [Saturday mornings]
Wednesday nights are the rifle shoots. [target rifles from 100 to 300 yds and some milsurp cast boolit stuff thrown in]
and Thursday nights they shoot steel plates on the pistol side.

other than that it's first come first served, and there's usually a few people coming and going most all day.
you generally shoot till your buddy shows up then BS for an hour.
sometimes there will be 4-5 of us sitting around talking when we should be shooting, no big deal.

if no one is there you just drive down to set your target or to the 300 yd steel plates to re-set them.

cbashooter
07-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks a lot we'll see if we can get the family to go out there. maybe I'll bring some other guns. I still have a bunch of cast loads for my AK I shot at a CBA match with a couple months ago I need to burn up.

runfiverun
07-28-2016, 07:19 PM
it usually don't take too much to get kids or adults to go out for a day of shooting around here.

I have both of my BIL's coming in on Saturday afternoon and they both want to go to the range for a few hours.
that was about all the arm twisting it took to get me to go.

bangerjim
07-28-2016, 07:52 PM
........and then there is always food & drink! Good food and LOTS of drink!!!!!!! If the food is not that good, then the emphasis is on the DRINK! :2 drunk buddies:

runfiverun
07-28-2016, 09:43 PM
well the 3 minute fair is going on this week sooo.
yes I said 3 minute fair,, if you go you'll see why it's called that.

but if the Taco truck is there in Grace I'd stop in and get a steak Burrito, then grab a bottle of beer from the gas station and head on down to the last chance canal.
that's a good way to kill some time in peace and quiet unless your gonna shoot some rocks down there, then it aint so quiet.

bangerjim
07-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Been thru Soda on business........emphasis on the drink!!!!! HA.......ha! :shock:

sixshot
07-29-2016, 01:27 AM
We had an all steel handgun match tonight & Saturday we will be holding our annual steel match with shooters coming from all over. Quite a few from Wyoming & Utah so throw in a double action sixgun & plenty of ammo & join us. They serve lunch half way through the match & at the end of the match have a 2 man team dueling match against another 2 man team. Each team has 2 plate racks plus several poppers & then a stop plate, its fast, exciting & over in a hurry. You have to lose twice to be eliminated. Cash pay back!!
Charley Gentry is out of town on a pack trip but if you make it to the County Fair make sure & have a Navajo Taco, they are great! The Rock Chucks are pretty much down for the year, only seen 2 in a week, squirrels & badgers are still out though.

Dick

MT Gianni
07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
well the 3 minute fair is going on this week sooo.
yes I said 3 minute fair,, if you go you'll see why it's called that.

but if the Taco truck is there in Grace I'd stop in and get a steak Burrito, then grab a bottle of beer from the gas station and head on down to the last chance canal.
that's a good way to kill some time in peace and quiet unless your gonna shoot some rocks down there, then it aint so quiet.

Wow, the fair and 24 of July the same week? Did Bancroft dry up and blow away? Fair used to be in Aug so they could show plants that had actually sprouted.

runfiverun
07-29-2016, 06:27 PM
they moved it up a week this year, and that killed the rides for the kids.
I drove by Tuesday and they had one set-up and another about half-way there.
i'll go down to bear lakes fair and see the horse pulls in august.
my bud's boy will have a cow in the 4-H show and I wanna see how big it's got since last fall.

cbashooter
08-06-2016, 04:35 PM
I love the country in Soda and hanging out with my wife's Gentry clan was quite fun. Actually might be looking at buying a piece of property there. Didn't get time to do much shooting but floated the bear and rode the 4-wheelers back behind Bailey Creek quite a bit.

runfiverun
08-06-2016, 04:52 PM
there is a lot of out door stuff to do around here.
the hard part is figuring out when to stop doing one thing and get the stuff out for the next.

I got lucky and caught a rock chuck out Saturday mid day, no squirrels were out, and got down to the plate shoot for a while and run into some old friends that morning.
then went back down to the range later with the wife's brothers and shot some pistols before my Brother showed up and wanted to sight his rifle in.
we then went over to a family party for the evening.
it was a busy day.

NyFirefighter357
08-06-2016, 05:04 PM
You guys need to get paid by the Soda Springs tourist bureau, with descriptions like that I want to visit.
As a matter of fact, I found my new home. Soda Springs, ID $410,000

5 beds
4 full baths
3,349 sq ft
42.02 acres lot

runfiverun
08-07-2016, 01:22 AM
an average homes per square foot price here is 33.00.

not a lot of sellers though, and most that come in give up the ghost after shoveling snow all winter.
we really ain't got a tourist bureau, just the mine [Monsanto] and a bunch of grumpy farmers/ranchers.
probably why I like it so much.