PDA

View Full Version : Crps

carbine86
07-27-2016, 08:53 AM
I have been reloading for only 4 years and casting for 3 and I'm afraid I may lose this great hobby that has become a huge part of my daily life. I have had 4 shoulder surgeries (with 1 maybe 2 left) and this last o e I had done in January has caused me to have crps(chronic regional pain syndrome). The meds and spinal injections had gotten everything under control and I thought it was going to be manageable. Then the sideffects started. Short term memory loss, sudden weight gain, extreme confusion, and waking up every morning feeling like I have the worst hangover ever. They have messed with the dosage up and down and every time they do this the pain gets worse and so do the side effects. I'm glad that I'm not in the intolerable pain but I can't keep living with these side effects and I fear when I come off the meds the pain will be uncontrollable and I don't be able to enjoy shooting or casting/reloading.

Ugh..........

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kbstenberg
07-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Carbine86 I am sorry for your medical problems. I can feel your pain (in reality) I'm recovering from rotor cup surgery. I do not have the quantity of pain you endure. But the loss of being able to do what my hobbies need is very depressing. God speed to a time when you can return to your shooting and loading. Kevin

RED BEAR
07-27-2016, 09:18 AM
sorry to hear of your health problems hope it gets better soon.

MrWolf
07-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the pain. I have an extremely bad back/neck so I can literally feel you pain. Before you go to the constant pain meds, try traditional acupuncture. When I first got hurt, the drugs, rehab, etc. did not do anything. Tried the acupuncture based on a recommendation back when it was not covered by insurance. She got me walking better the first day. Six months later I was able to do my own rehab program. She bought me probably twenty years. Good luck.

carbine86
07-27-2016, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear about the pain. I have an extremely bad back/neck so I can literally feel you pain. Before you go to the constant pain meds, try traditional acupuncture. When I first got hurt, the drugs, rehab, etc. did not do anything. Tried the acupuncture based on a recommendation back when it was not covered by insurance. She got me walking better the first day. Six months later I was able to do my own rehab program. She bought me probably twenty years. Good luck.
I don't take any pain meds at all the meds I'm on are nerve meds and antiinflammatories. The acupuncture doesn't work the best for this condition as it can cause the crps to spread. I only gave it in my right arm at the moment but I have to have surgery on my left after I fully recover on the right.

mold maker
07-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Pain, the ever present indication that I'm still alive,
the controller of my posture,
the last thing I feel at night,
the first thing I'm conscious of in the morning.
It won't allow me to sit. It refuses to let me stand.
It won't allow me to lay in any position for more than an hour.
Thank God for pain, or I might become just another inanimate motionless object.

lightman
07-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear this, wishing you the best.

xs11jack
07-27-2016, 10:38 PM
May God bless you with His best. I will pray for your recovery.
Ole Jack

MaryB
07-28-2016, 12:57 AM
Have you tried Lyrica? Works wonders on nerve pain... I have really bad nerve damage left leg side and it was like someone was sticking a cherry bomb in my shoe and it was exploding... or like being shot in the foot over and over... Lyrica has it down to dull twinges and let me become a lot more active! And I feel the shoulder pain too! Had the right side rotator cuff fixed twice , exactly a year apart to the day! Doc missed the fact th etear was almost 80% instead of only 20% so he stitched just a small piece. Still have an 80% tear in the left shoulder but not fixing it, right surgery was no help pain wise or range of motion.

carbine86
07-28-2016, 07:43 AM
Have you tried Lyrica?

Lyrica is the issue it has helped me some but the side effects have gotten do bad I'm being weaned off of it right now.

MrWolf
07-28-2016, 08:31 AM
I had issues with Lyrica also. Hang in there.

MaryB
07-29-2016, 01:47 AM
I am taking a low dose Lyrica... just enough to dull the sharp nerve spasms. Getting old isn't for sissies!

carbine86
07-29-2016, 07:53 AM
I am taking a low dose Lyrica... just enough to dull the sharp nerve spasms. Getting old isn't for sissies!
Worst part of all this is I'm only 29

mold maker
07-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Getting old is the penalty for out living youth. I was once vibrant and bullet proof. Now I'm lucky enough to know my limits and not do the foolish thing that were just normal a decade ago.
Youth is like kindergarten for old age. Take advantage of it, because it surely will pass.

nekshot
07-29-2016, 08:01 AM
I truly "feel" with you in your new environment. I totally understand how reloading/casting suffers from your situation, just look at a lot of my posts in the last 6 years and its obvious something is going on out side of ordinary! But we believe the best and press forward. A good man Wolfer from the site stopped in one day and I was in a bad way from pain and looked like a idiot but we press on trying to find the new normal.

kbstenberg
07-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Mold Maker is spot on.

44man
07-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Sorry for the problems but I found surgery and meds suck. Docs will kill you! I tore a tendon in both shoulders and can't lift a bow, rifle or shotgun but have no pain. I just let it go and heal the best it could.
I have white coat syndrome, go to the doc and get a BP reading of 174 over something. He made me take a prescription to lower it and I went nuts, even blacked out in the kitchen and don't know why I was on the floor. He is still trying to jam the junk on me.
Wife was doing her pressure and I said give me that thing. I got 95 over 52, she said I was DEAD! I took it again and got 126 over something. BP changes instantly.
Carol was in a car accident and bulged 3 disks so she could not walk. Found a doc to stretch the spine and give nutrients and tenze work. I told her NO SURGERY. It worked. She walked out after the first time.
Found a site that tells what your doctors get in kickbacks from drug companies and mine got almost $6000 this year. I am getting my cataracts removed, one done so far and the eye doc got $122 for eye drops. He is the best for thousands of miles. I am lucky to have him within a few miles.
They make money when they prescribe drugs.
I know some need something but here I sit with no pain, just some things I can't do anymore and I am 78, close to 79. I feel 30 but have a loss in strength. My friends worry sick they will die before me so they can't buy my guns. I might just buy theirs!

w5pv
07-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Had rotator cuff surgery twice and they finally got things right the therapist I went to afterwards had me to start out with a empty bucket with a bail and swing it around in a circle until I could handle a full gallon bucket,took some time but I got there and now pain free.

mold maker
07-31-2016, 02:49 PM
When I tore a rotator cuff the Dr gave me a choice of rehab. with pain meds, self-help with pain meds, or surgery.
Being both cheap and stubborn I chose self-help. A month later I was back to normal and I still have the pain pills. You do have to listen and do the correct exercises when he says so.
After all, you are paying for his advice and experience.

johnson1942
07-31-2016, 07:52 PM
im a 74 year old retired registered nurse. some words of wisdom from the past when i was young and drs. my age back then now 74 years old prescribed vitamin b12 to help with your problem. you can get it at wall mart. in 1 mg. doses. it may say 1000 mcg. that is the same as 1 mg. take 10 of those at one time. their is no danger of over dose. you will notice a lot of things in 7 days. less pain. better taste and smell. more energy. take it that way the rest of your life, every day. it worked many many years ago and it is the only vitamin you cant over dose on. when you have a blood panel drawn next the doctor will say your blood panel is looking better and again also works wonders on you nerve integrity. food you eat will taste better. its not a cure all but darn near.