PDA

View Full Version : Wound channel, meplat, and velocity for cast bullets in rifles?

Naphtali
05-25-2008, 11:45 AM
An article in Beartooth Bullets Tech Notes titled, "Handgun Hunting Loads-A Critical View," discusses the effects of velocity and meplat diameter on predicted wound channels. The discussion is about handgun cartridges. Data tables show handgun velocities-meplat relationships only.

When using cast flat point bullets -- in, for example, modern .45-70 lever action rifles -- rifle can achieve substantially higher velocities with comparably shaped bullets of comparable weights.

Is there a source for data that shows predicted wound channels for these kinds of cartridges at the velocities that they are capable of achieving?

Doughty
05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
You might take a look at Veral Smith's Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets . In my experience it seems that he may not be exactly correct, but I don't think he's very far off either. Google LBT bullet molds to find his web site.

Naphtali
05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
You might take a look at Veral Smith's Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets . In my experience it seems that he may not be exactly correct, but I don't think he's very far off either. Google LBT bullet molds to find his web site. An AHA! moment. A friend of mine, also in Missoula, has the book. He is the most dedicated bullet caster-reloader I've known. He and I are going out to the big range Friday, a week, in the afternoon.

Doughty
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey, put me in touch with your friend. He sounds like my kind of guy. Or if the big range you're talking about is in the Missoula area let me know and I'll buy the coffee and donuts for us all.

oldvic38@yahoo.com or 1-800-368-4489