PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the M-44......

WILCO
05-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey guys,

I found this place back in January of this year, poked around, liked what I saw and got lost in the world of work and worry. :roll:
So now I'm back and thought I'd announce to those who would understand that I just bought my first Mosin-Nagent M-44!!!!!
I've been wanting one for a long time and finally said "just get it!".
It's one of those super clean surplus rifles and the fella at the store was surprised as to what great shape it is in. He said most of the M-44's he preps are beat up.
With taxes and ammo, it was just under $200.00 @ Gander Mountain. I figured that was a good deal as oppossed to finding a FFL holder to order it for a fee, S&H, taxes and a good smithy to look it over for safety.
I have big dreams of casting some bullets for this rifle and my banged up VZ.24.
This website is a great place with what appears to be lots of friendly folks so I look forward to getting back here.

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblin. :coffee:

Mike
A.K.A.
WILCO

NSP64
05-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Welcome, First thing..... Slug the barrel. Do you cast already? If not feel free to ask ????

trickyasafox
05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
CAREFUL those old rifles are addictive!

Razor
05-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Welcome:-D

The M44 is the only rifle/carbine I had that would spit a 2 ft flame on a sunny day...
Enjoy:twisted:

Whatever you do. DO NOT spend $30 on a C&R license.. Milsurps get real addictive then .:roll:

Razor
:castmine:

corvette8n
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Wilco, I'm on the other end of the state and have a C&R FFL, do't even ask me how many milsurps I have. I don't have a 44 but do own a model 38, and yes with the right milsurp ammo you can get a two-foot flame.
Makes deer hunting easy, shoot and cook in one easy step.:mrgreen:

dmftoy1
05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Welcome!!!

314299 over 18.5 grains of 2400 is what my M44 likes to eat! :)

Have a good one,
Dave

WILCO
05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I don't cast my own bullets yet, but I have been stock piling all kinds of lead and grab it when I see it. Wheel weights, lead bullets out of the backstop, lead weights for diving and so on. I still have to slug the barrel and go about ordering the dies, shells and what not. I didn't know a C&R was only $30.00. I always thought it was expensive and hard to acquire.

mooman76
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I thought they were expensive and hard to aquire too! I finnaly got one but a little late. I got most of the Mil surplus that I plan on getting but there are a few left!

Ricochet
05-26-2008, 02:04 PM
My only short Mosin is an M38. I need to get an M44 one of these days. They are a blast to shoot!