PDA

View Full Version : good deal or not? Linotype $.65 per#

gtim88
05-25-2008, 01:23 AM
A couple months ago, I was offered 2k lbs of linotype @ $.75 per #. I'm new to casting, I've loved it until I cleaned lead from two guns for over two hours today. Now I Know that I have enough wheel weights to last me a lifetime at this rate. Will linotype make my bullets harder if mixed properly with wheel weights? Will this reduce the effects of leading barrels? Would anyone like to go in halves as I'll never use 2K lbs. I'm not sure of shipping cost, or how I would ship it. Any info would be helpful. I live in east central MS. I'm almost positive it is still available.

Thanks for any insights or opinions.

Tim

OeldeWolf
05-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Which state of the Union are you residing in?

And yes, lino can be used to improve the performance of lead alloys.

The good people here can probably help you get a handle on the leading, but will need a bit more information.

randyrat
05-25-2008, 06:37 AM
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
Read until your eyes bleed and you will be enlightened. I don't have enough clean paper to explain leading. Read about heat treating and water dropping also.
For the lynotype, know what your buying before you lay your money down for quanities like that. I had a friend gun dealer bought some Lynotype once, he was selling it for a $1.50. I picked it up and scratched it with my nail and dropped it on the floor, it went thud ( it should have went ding or ring). He could have ruined his reputation if he would have sold much of it.

dubber123
05-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Unless you are firing them very fast from a rifle, your leading is most likely the result of A. Too small a diameter boolit, or B. Poor or insufficent lube, in that order, rather than from using wheelweights.

I have shot plain base wheelweights to over 1,600 fps with no leading, and I'm sure others on here have gone faster. What gun/caliber/boolit/load are you using?

Even if you do not need the lino, it may be worth picking up for resale, if indeed it is lino, as Randyrat pointed out. Good luck.

gtim88
05-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I live in Mississippi.
I was shooting Lee tubmle groove 240 gr swc sized to .430 lubed with Lee liquid allox.
I was shooting a Marlin 1894s, and an old single action revolver that belongs to my dad. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. The revolver started leading at 9.5 grains of Unique. The Marlin started leading somewhere between 8 and 10 grains of Unique.

Sorry about the double post on the lino. I thought this one didn't go through.

Thanks for the responses.

Tim

EDG
05-25-2008, 02:16 PM
A couple months ago, I was offered 2k lbs of linotype @ $.75 per #. I'm new to casting, I've loved it until I cleaned lead from two guns for over two hours today. Now I Know that I have enough wheel weights to last me a lifetime at this rate. Will linotype make my bullets harder if mixed properly with wheel weights? Will this reduce the effects of leading barrels? Would anyone like to go in halves as I'll never use 2K lbs. I'm not sure of shipping cost, or how I would ship it. Any info would be helpful. I live in east central MS. I'm almost positive it is still available.

Thanks for any insights or opinions.

Tim

If you are new to casting I would put off buying such a large pile of metal until you know what you are getting into. There are all sorts of metal being offered out there and they are not always what they are advertised to be. The person selling it may be so uninformed they don't know what the term linotype means.

mauser1959
05-26-2008, 04:21 AM
At that price , if it is lead at all it is probably worth that much. However , if it is contaminated with other metals it may be a MFer. Pure Pb is going for $.90 per Lb.

http://www.kitcometals.com/

hershey
05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
thanx for that link, it is kinda what i've been looking for, as a rookie to casting i am trying to figure out what is fair and not fair for pricing, my first scout around found a bunch at the local scrap yards, i have to figure out what to get and what not to, WW's seem to be the most desireable as it has the tin and alloy already in it, linotype is desireable as well from what i gather, but i don't know how to spot it. i originally though the soft pure stuff was the good stuff, but am finding out different. if someone had more links that show the high and low of the market, i/e what others are paying, (i/e the scrap yards to us when we take it in) and what they are selling at. thanx to so many already for their help.