PDA

View Full Version : A question about some 44 mag LEE molds

Jake70
07-25-2016, 04:41 PM
I've been wanting to get a 240gr SWC mold for awhile now and I'm considering getting the LEE TL430-240-SWC which is a tumble lube design. I was wondering what the general consensus on this mold is. Are people getting good accuracy out of it?

Also, I have a 214gr SWC LEE mold and was wondering if it is ok to shoot full powered loads with that bullet out of a S&W 629-6. I know that high velocities and light bullets can cause issues like a cracked forcing cone, and I want to avoid this. That bullet shoots so nicely out of my rifle that I'd like to be able to use it in my revolver too.

RogerDat
07-25-2016, 04:47 PM
I like the TL design in 38/357 and use that mold for step-sons 44 mag. Not heard any complaints from him on accuracy but then he is a nice guy and would probably not complain about free bullets if they were pretty bad so I'm not sure I can say for certain on that specific mold in 44 working well but for $20 finding out how it works in your firearm is not expensive.

Bookworm
07-25-2016, 06:08 PM
I have been using that TL430-240SWC for the past few months, testing in my SBH Hunter.
It drops right at .430" for me, using CWW & range lead 50/50. Weights are very close to 240g with that mix, but when I add a bit of tin it drops a couple grains lighter. No surprises. Just make sure it's hot enough to square the base.
I find that it shoots very accurately in said firearm at ~1000fps, and then again at ~1125 fps. 2" 12-shot groups at 25 yds.
Haven't worked any faster than 1200 fps. I use 45-45-10 to tumble-lube them, no problems at these vel's.
I like it.

Maven
07-25-2016, 06:11 PM
"Haven't worked any faster than 1200 fps. I use 45-45-10 to tumble-lube them, no problems at these vel's.
I like it." ...Bookworm

Except for the 45-45-10, my experience as well.

EDK
07-25-2016, 10:04 PM
The RANCH DOG designs were the first tumble lube boolits I used; really liked them. You can tumble lube conventional designs successfully, but tumble lube designs may be a problem when you try to conventionally lube them.
While two cavity moulds are cheaper, make sure of what you want and get a six cavity.
BEN'S LIQUID LUBE is simple and effective.

EDK
07-25-2016, 10:11 PM
The RANCH DOG designs were the first tumble lube boolits I used; really liked them. You can tumble lube conventional designs successfully, but tumble lube designs may be a problem when you try to conventionally lube them.
While two cavity moulds are cheaper, make sure of what you want and get a six cavity.

Moleman-
07-25-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure how long I've had the TL430-240SWC 6 cavity mold, but I like it and the bullets shoot well out of the two S&W guns I have. I've loaded some plinkers up for my 444 but haven't ever shot them at paper

hutch18414
07-25-2016, 11:01 PM
I have been using that bullet mold, no complaints. I might possibly be getting a bit of non linear dispersion at 100yds, but as badly as I shoot at that distance it is hard to say. Groups do seem more than double the 50 yd group though. I have been using 2 coats of BLL and nary a trace of leading with some heavy loads. Mostly I shoot target loads now, just had to see what that lube would stand. But as far as I am concerned that mold is well worth buying.

Jake70
07-25-2016, 11:38 PM
I mainly use the LEE Alox lube that comes with their bullet sizing dies. I've got several unopened bottles of it lying around, and it works well enough for me.

I think I will be going with the six cavity mold. As much as I've been shooting my 44s lately, it'll save me quite a bit of time. (so I can shoot more!) :D

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the advice. :)