PDA

View Full Version : PC Boolit Sizing

DanAKAL
07-25-2016, 03:10 PM
I am getting my gear together to try my hand at Shake and Bake Boolit powder coating. Got most of my gear and still waiting on some orders to come in. My question is if my RCBS LAM II is acceptable for sizing after I PC the Boolits? My LAM is brand new in the box so I don't have to clean any lube out. I also have new dies and top punches for the LAM. Can I just use this or is it better to invest in the Lee push through equipment?

Dan

Echd
07-25-2016, 03:18 PM
The push through dies are faster. For the price I would consider grabbing some of them.

Alternatively the NOE bushing size dies are a better value than the Lee's if you need to buy more than 2 or 3 sizes, and they are definitely better quality. My only issue with them is they rust really fast for some reason.

RustyReel
07-25-2016, 03:40 PM
My experience with using the LAM II and Lyman/RCBS dies was that it took quite a bit of effort to size boolits in the dry dies. Adding a little lube made it easier but sorta defeats some of the benefits of PCing. I also found if the boolit was not perfectly centered in the die it would, at times, scrape some of the PC off the boolit, requiring a recoat. The Lee push thru dies are much easier. My only problem with them is that they do not come in enough sizes.

If you are going to go 100% PC, send the LAM II back and use the money to buy an inexpensive Lee press and some push thru dies......

JMHO

DanAKAL
07-25-2016, 04:32 PM
So it would seem a LAM or 4500 is not the best tool for sizing PC Boolits. (Ah shucks! I've been trying to use that extra LAM for three or four years. Bought it one day when I had more money than good sense). Had not heard of NOE sizing equipment until now and was just looking at their web site. I must say I like what I was seeing and will probably give their gear a try. No worries about a press as I have a Lyman Crusher II gathering dust. It should do nicely as a dedicated sizing press. (Yes, another of those money vs good sense purchases). Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying PC Boolits.

Dan

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Just buy a cheap Lee "C" press and some Lee push-thru dies. Easiest way to do it. Save your other thing for greasers.....if you ever do them after seeing how easy AND clean PC is!

Keep new in the box......it will bring more money when you DO sell it!

banger

GSaltzman
07-25-2016, 04:57 PM
I have no problems using my Lyman lubsizers. But then I am using dies from Buckshot and they are smooth as glass. I did order some push thru's from NOE but some are giving me a few problems. May have to do a little polishing on them as they tend to scrape pretty hard.

LakeviewBulldog
07-25-2016, 05:06 PM
I use my Lee Hand Press to resize my PC'ed Boolits on the couch while watching TV. Can't beat it. I really couldn't see doing it any other way.

Walter Laich
07-25-2016, 06:32 PM
no problems using Lyman 4500 though I use Lee push through for 45/44 PC bullets. 38/32s are done on Lyman. Too lazy to chance out dies + I have the needed dies.

fredj338
07-25-2016, 08:06 PM
You could, I use my Star but now use Lee sizing die in a cheap Lee C press. Invert the press & put a box under it & it is a pass thru sizer. Very fast, very cheap. Only problem is all the extra Lee alox I have acquired.:razz:

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 09:17 PM
You could, I use my Star but now use Lee sizing die in a cheap Lee C press. Invert the press & put a box under it & it is a pass thru sizer. Very fast, very cheap. Only problem is all the extra Lee alox I have acquired.:razz:

Know what you mean about that stinky smelly sticky mule snot. I threw away 7 bottles of it. Hate the stuff.

DanAKAL
07-25-2016, 09:45 PM
Many thanks for all of the info guys! I just placed an order with NOE for the 38 and 45 sizing equipment I will need. Their equipment looks like really good stuff. I expect there will be some new molds in my future. ​Now at least I'll get to use that Crusher that is collecting dust. Again thanks for all of the info.

Dan