PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 9 Trigger

PbHurler
07-25-2016, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine has a S&W M&P9. The factory trigger is abysmal, very heavy & gritty.

Are the aftermarket trigger kits from Apex the "shiznit" to improve the trigger in these models? Is Apex the only aftermarket provider for trigger kits?

Anyone with practical experience with before/after an Apex (or other) change out?

I'd like to share the advice / recommendations with him.

Thanks

(R5R, if this should be in the Gunsmithing Tips & Tricks, please relocate)

Electric88
07-25-2016, 01:28 PM
A buddy of mine just installed an Apex trigger in his 9mm Shield. He loves it, says it makes all the difference.

guywitha3006
07-25-2016, 01:33 PM
I have an Apex setup in mine and the trigger went from barely ok, to awesome. Mine is set up with a light pull and it is right up there with my GP100 trigger (upgraded and many hours polishing) for weight and crispness.

hhilljr
07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
They are definitely worth it. I installed one in a .45, and one in my 9mm Shield. In the Shield, I also replaced the trigger itself with the Apex aluminum Glock-like trigger. I love them both.

Huntsman52
07-25-2016, 03:30 PM
I installed the Apex trigger kit on my Shield 40. The original trigger was one of the MA compliant triggers so it was plenty heavy. The Apex kit included the flat faced aluminum trigger. Pull is great and light now and reset is very short. Made a world of difference. Felt very similar to my old Glock 34 trigger in pull. Very easy to install as well with just a punch and a wood block. Found the best price on Fleabay.

scattershot
07-26-2016, 11:05 AM
I have installed the Apex kit with good results. I found, though, that the grittiness comes from the striker safety block. If you remove it, polish the heck out of it, and clean the channel it rides in, most of your problems will be solved.

Virginia John
07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
There are a number of modifications that can be performed on the stock trigger to make it shootable. Check out You Tube for M&P Trigger Jobs. I did some work on mine and it made a major difference. One of the simplest things that you can do to improve the grittyness is to stop using oil. In fact clean all the oil from the frame using alcohol and then lubricate with graphite. It will lubricate the plastic and smooth the friction areas.

jetinteriorguy
07-27-2016, 06:14 AM
Yup, the Apex trigger kit works. I also added the RAM to help with reset and now I love this pistol. Even though I'm a revolver guy, I'm very happy with this setup on my M&P. Now I just need the M&P compact and I'll do the same thing for carry. I will add one thing about the RAM, I had a couple of surprise double taps trying to get used to the Apex, but no more issues since adding the RAM.

PbHurler
07-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll forward this onto him. Sounds like if he'll spring for the kit, he'd be a happy camper.