PDA

View Full Version : Al At NOE Molds

WFO2
07-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Just want to shout out to a stand guy . Call this morning because I had ordered a gas checked mold for my 300aac when I wanted a plain base . He said no problem told me ship the one I had back and he would get another to me on the way today .That is what I call DAM GOOD service. He just made a lifelong customer and I'm sure I will hit the 1K club soon .People like that is why I joined this forum members and vendors are top notch .

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Heh welcome to the club, I seldom last a month before I find another mold I'm interested in. It is quite the addicting hobby. Post up some pics of that boolit when you get some cast, I don't have a 300aac yet but 'tis on my wish list!

PaulG67
07-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Yes Al is great vendor, I ordered a mold recently and had in three days. Ya can't be that with a stick.

gwpercle
07-25-2016, 02:59 PM
I lost the small hex wrench that came with my first mould (a 9mm) , went on forum site and I asked what size it was so I could run over to hardware store and buy another and an extra or two ( I tend to loose things), Al sent me 6 wrenches ....NO CHARGE ! Small thing...yes , but I was impressed and bought another mould when I saw my favorite 38/357 design , in 3 cavity , in stock ...his thoughtfulness over this small thing impressed me greatly.
Now he has a loyal customer who's looking at another mould or two....they're addictive !
Gary

Loudy13
07-25-2016, 03:02 PM
I can agree with the great service, forgot to order the top punch with one of the molds I bought and he sent it with the next order no hassle.

Great Company!!

dragon813gt
07-25-2016, 03:22 PM
I have not had to use his customer service yet. But at last count I think I had 24 of his molds. You can call me a satisfied customer :beer:

reddog81
07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Before I placed my first order with them I called to make sure I was ordering everything I needed. Al was very helpfull and I have always been impressed with the quality of their products.

WFO2
07-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Derek will do as soon as I cast a few will get a picture up . Should you get a 300 I will send you a few as well .

WFO2
07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Hey Derek if you get one all I can tell you is mine is a pistol gas system 10.5 inches . I have it for hogs and varmints at our 300 acre ranch . With Barnes Tac-Tx 110 grn it is a tack driver . I'm going to cast subsonic for it . With the Noe 311-320 PB , Lee TL209-230-5R , and the Lee C312-155-R . One of those will work .

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Hey Derek if you get one all I can tell you is mine is a pistol gas system 10.5 inches . I have it for hogs and varmints at our 300 acre ranch . With Barnes Tac-Tx 110 grn it is a tack driver . I'm going to cast subsonic for it . With the Noe 311-320 PB , Lee TL209-230-5R , and the Lee C312-155-R . One of those will work .

My wife has said I have to go shoot the rifles I've bought before I can buy any more. It is just hot outside and I'm lazy. Still need to test the ak's and my new 308 out before I commit to loading for another round ;). Thanks for the most generous offer though!

Butchman205
07-25-2016, 06:55 PM
I've got an NOE mould for casting 198gr boolits for my 300whisper (same as 300 blackout or 300aac).

If any of you guys want to try a few, hit me with a pm and I'll get some headed your way. Maybe you need to go heavier or lighter for your needs...but it'd give you an idea which mould you need before you buy it.

I'm not made of money and lead...but I can ship a few to get you started in the right direction.

And I agree...NOE moulds are freakin awesome!!!!

-Butchman

labradigger1
07-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Not to mention his molds are truly beautiful. I'm a sucker for brass molds

Butchman205
07-25-2016, 07:17 PM

I agree.

-Butchman

WFO2
07-25-2016, 07:23 PM
The Lee C312 will work in the ak to Derek if you want when I cast a few you can try them in yours .

Bzcraig
07-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Al indeed deserves all the accolades he receives

MrWolf
07-27-2016, 09:50 AM
He is not what he seems; he is an Enabler! great guy with a great product. What more could you ask for?

gwpercle
07-27-2016, 06:14 PM
I almost hate to use them. But I do. I saw an Elmer Keith mould that had Elmer's signature engraved on it....I don't think I could use that one ...just a gorgeous work of art...too pretty !
Gary

Butchman205
07-28-2016, 01:44 PM
I almost hate to use them. But I do. I saw an Elmer Keith mould that had Elmer's signature engraved on it....I don't think I could use that one ...just a gorgeous work of art...too pretty !
Gary

Cool that you're a sentimental soul man...but I'd probably use it 'til the handles melted off!!!
(I prob would put it on a shelf unused to tell the truth...)

-Butchman

gwpercle
07-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Cool that you're a sentimental soul man...but I'd probably use it 'til the handles melted off!!!
(I prob would put it on a shelf unused to tell the truth...)

-Butchman

Truth be told , I would eventually use it . Al made them for casting boolits and new cars have to be driven , guns need to be shot and moulds, even nice ones need to cast boolits.
But after using it I would clean it nicely and put on my desk so I could look at. It wouldn't be kept out in the loading building with the others .
Gary

Butchman205
07-31-2016, 06:41 PM
Truth be told , I would eventually use it . Al made them for casting boolits and new cars have to be driven , guns need to be shot and moulds, even nice ones need to cast boolits.
But after using it I would clean it nicely and put on my desk so I could look at. It wouldn't be kept out in the loading building with the others .
Gary

AGREED!!!

-Butchman

fjruple
07-31-2016, 06:42 PM
Al has help me exchange a mold with no problems. Excellent vendor to deal with and with excellent molds to work with. I have two of his Elmer Keith signature molds. They are like pieces of art. I almost hate to use them.

fjruple

Leadmelter
07-31-2016, 07:18 PM
We are very fortunate to have such fine bullet mold makers at our disposal to make anything we want for a reasonable price and short delivery time. Hell, my first mold was a Ohaus 58 cal for a musket.
Leadmelter
MI

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Gary

Lol I'd abuse the heck out of it and enjoy it. Tools are made to be used for me :D. No safe queens around this house.

Artful
07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
But after using it I would clean it nicely and put on my desk so I could look at. It wouldn't be kept out in the loading building with the others.

Gary

Man after my own heart - I have 10 at my computer desk - eventually they will move in with the other NOE's in the gun room but for now they need fondling time.

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Man after my own heart - I have 10 at my computer desk - eventually they will move in with the other NOE's in the gun room but for now they need fondling time.

:D my loading desk is to the right of my computer desk and they are all lined up on a shelf together. Need to add another shelf for more storage space

Iowa Fox
08-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure why I keep buying his molds. Heck I haven't used half of the ones I got from him. Last sale he had I was ready to buy another one but he was out of stock thank goodness. At the holidays if he has his sale again I'm sure I'll buy something even if I don't need it.

He really puts out a nice product and really takes care of this bunch.

Smk SHoe
08-07-2016, 01:23 PM
I agree with MRWolf, he's a enabler. He is enabling me to replace my old, half decent Lee molds with truly beautiful, great casting molds. Got a couple right now and waiting on a couple more to be in stock.

tzzler44
08-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Haha someone mentioned the 1K club. I'm almost there, but I've come to the point where I can't think of any more bullet designs I truly NEED at this point... but maybe I just need to think on it more :D

rintinglen
08-25-2016, 07:48 PM
I only have a dozen so far, but he keeps coming up with stuff I just can't ignore.

RogerDat
08-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Company with a solid work ethic, pride in their product, good customer service and innovative or at least not run of the mill products. Why the heck would I not buy NOE molds?
My problem is justifying another purchase when I don't need anything, not really need anyway, but wouldn't it be lovely to get....

I should start saving for..... dang it, that requires prioritizing. Addiction is tough but the molds are sure nice.

anotherred
08-27-2016, 10:23 PM
I am really glad you guys have had such a good experience with him. I hate to be "that guy" but now lets look at the other side of AL. I ordered 2 expander dies , one for 380 and one for 9mm. Lee changed their universal epanders at some point and the plugs AL sent where too short to work. Not a problem, he told me he knew this would make a revision and get them sent out in about 2 weeks. I was so happy to hear back so quick and that he would take care of it. This was back in April, and still nothing. I've emailed a few times about progress/eta with no reply. Sorry guys, but I can't say I'm happy with his service.

SSGOldfart
08-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Yep only good things to say about his customer service is the best in the business and that's why I'm in the 1k club, and closing fast on the 2k Mark. I have more or his molds then I could ever hope to use, I have more than I need for sure but I'm sure not going to let something I want pass on by life is too short.:D[smilie=1:

Butchman205
08-28-2016, 09:24 AM
I am really glad you guys have had such a good experience with him. I hate to be "that guy" but now lets look at the other side of AL. I ordered 2 expander dies , one for 380 and one for 9mm. Lee changed their universal epanders at some point and the plugs AL sent where too short to work. Not a problem, he told me he knew this would make a revision and get them sent out in about 2 weeks. I was so happy to hear back so quick and that he would take care of it. This was back in April, and still nothing. I've emailed a few times about progress/eta with no reply. Sorry guys, but I can't say I'm happy with his service.

I've never tried "NOE MOULDS" expander dies, so I have nothing to add on that.

However...NOE MOULDS has some freakin' AWESOME bullet moulds!!!

I'm just a hobby reloader, and LOVE LOVE LOVE their bullet moulds. I'm only at three and counting...but the bullet moulds are Dadgum works of art. The cutters are cleanly cut, the brass and aluminum mould plates are vented well, and even the outer edges have been worked to a uniform corner. Pure quality.
Since I'm a hobbiest type loader, I'm always looking for a deal on an NOE mould. My plan is to replace as many of my moulds as possible with NOE's comparable moulds. As soon as I find another NOE at a discount...I'll have another Lee or Lyman mould to sell or trade.

-Butchman

anotherred
08-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Thats what makes me sad about this whole ordeal. I'm just trying to get started in casting and was really liking what I'm hearing about his molds. I'm just worried if he can't get back to me on $20 worth of parts, why would I want to risk sending him 100 some bucks on a mold. I really want to get going playing with cast, but the only thing holding me back is these expanders. Summers almost gone up here, if I knew it was such a problem I would have figured out some money for the M die. Again I hate to talk bad about anyone, but I'm just to the point where I need to vent.

DerekP Houston
08-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Thats what makes me sad about this whole ordeal. I'm just trying to get started in casting and was really liking what I'm hearing about his molds. I'm just worried if he can't get back to me on $20 worth of parts, why would I want to risk sending him 100 some bucks on a mold. I really want to get going playing with cast, but the only thing holding me back is these expanders. Summers almost gone up here, if I knew it was such a problem I would have figured out some money for the M die. Again I hate to talk bad about anyone, but I'm just to the point where I need to vent.

It's a fair warning type thing. I too am looking for the expander dies for my lee 9mm to fit cast boolits, so I'll shoot him over an email and see if the new style ones are in stock. Otherwise I guess i'll be looking for a M die as well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2016, 12:26 PM
SNIP...
Lee changed their universal epanders at some point and the plugs AL sent where too short to work.
Lee hasn't changed their Universal 'flare' die.

The Lee Universal 'flare' die comes with two universal flare inserts. For short pistol cases, you need to have both in the die, to flare a short pistol case...SOooo, for expanding the case mouth of a short pistol case using a NOE expander, you need to have one of the Lee 'flare' inserts in the die so the NOE expander is low enough in the die, to reach your 9mm case, to expand it.
Good Luck,
Jon

DerekP Houston
08-28-2016, 12:32 PM

The Lee Universal 'flare' die comes with two universal flare inserts. For short pistol cases, you need to have both in the die, to flare a short pistol case...SOooo, for expanding the case mouth of a short pistol case using a NOE expander, you need to have one of the Lee 'flare' inserts in the die so the NOE expander is low enough in the die, to reach your 9mm case, to expand it.
Good Luck,
Jon

Ahh so either way i need the universal flare die. Thanks for the information!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Ahh so either way i need the universal flare die. Thanks for the information!
Derek,
Yes, if you get the solid expander...unless you have a spare Lee 'caliber specific expander die

Now, NOE also makes some "powder through" expanders, that can be put into Lee's caliber specific powder through expander dies. BUT beware, I believe NOE makes them all the same length and Lee makes different calibers, different lengths for some reason, I suspect it has to do with case length? I haven't researched that to know why. While the NOE powder through expander inserts will work with all calibers of Lee dies "for use with a powder funnel", some calibers WON'T work with the Lee Disk powder measure. I have the 41 and 44 and neither will work with the Lee disk powder measure, but work just fine with a powder funnel. I talked to Al about this a couple years ago, at that time he wasn't up to chasing after all the different lengths of Lee's powder through expanders for each caliber....and just told me, his powder through inserts will probably not work with the Lee disk powder measure.

DerekP Houston
08-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Derek,
Yes, if you get the solid expander...unless you have a spare Lee 'caliber specific expander die

Now, NOE also makes some "powder through" expanders, that can be put into Lee's caliber specific powder through expander dies. BUT beware, I believe NOE makes them all the same length and Lee makes different calibers, different lengths for some reason, I suspect it has to do with case length? I haven't researched that to know why. While the NOE powder through expander inserts will work with all calibers of Lee dies "for use with a powder funnel", some calibers WON'T work with the Lee Disk powder measure. I have the 41 and 44 and neither will work with the Lee disk powder measure, but work just fine with a powder funnel. I talked to Al about this a couple years ago, at that time he wasn't up to chasing after all the different lengths of Lee's powder through expanders for each caliber....and just told me, his powder through inserts will probably not work with the Lee disk powder measure.

No worries. I have all the lee die sets for 380 - 45. My last attempt at 9mm didn't go so well so i sold the mold and just used plated. I'd like to give it another try now, I can use the LnL powder drop and a universal flare die. Just one of those "eventual" things I'll get around to trying. Thanks for the information on the kits.

Smk SHoe
08-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Great customer service with me. Ordered a mold, got a phone call the next day that what I thought was a 5 gang mold was only a brass 4 gang. He refunded my money same day. Just waiting on a couple to get in stock. Does he take order's on out of stock items? Would really like to order them.

anotherred
08-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Good Luck
Jon

The problem I have is if I push a shell on the expander and drop the expander with the shell in it in the die, the case doesn't stick out the bottom of the die far enough to even let the shell holder even think of holding the shell. Then if I push the shell on the expander far enough to start flaring the case mouth then drop it in the die, the bottom of the shell is flush with the bottom of the die. I tried this with both the 9 mm and the 380. I with is was a mess up on my part assembling the die, but not the case here.

Regulator.
08-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes Sir Al Nelson is great to do business with, speaking of I need to order some more of his molds

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2016, 09:20 PM
The problem I have is if I push a shell on the expander and drop the expander with the shell in it in the die, the case doesn't stick out the bottom of the die far enough to even let the shell holder even think of holding the shell. Then if I push the shell on the expander far enough to start flaring the case mouth then drop it in the die, the bottom of the shell is flush with the bottom of the die. I tried this with both the 9 mm and the 380. I with is was a mess up on my part assembling the die, but not the case here.
Are you using the Lee Universal flare die, or the Lee 9mm powder through expander die?

lightload
08-28-2016, 09:40 PM
On a recent order, through honest error, one small item was left off. Al quickly took care of the issue.

anotherred
08-29-2016, 07:55 PM
I got 2 of the the universal lee dies and got solid expander dies from AL to go with it.

K.O.
08-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I appreciate that he has started a section for air rifles and made air rifle sizing inserts for his die...

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-30-2016, 11:04 AM
I got 2 of the the universal lee dies and got solid expander dies from AL to go with it.
OK, I guess I am wrong about Lee's Universal flare die not being changed. I hope Al can help you out.

molar
09-04-2016, 08:43 PM
I'm just getting back into casting after a 15 year hiatus. I've only used Lee molds in the past and several had alignment issues.

This time I'm doing it right. Placed an order last night for a .401 and .501 mold from NOE, along with their push through sizer die and bushings for .431, .401, and .501

I've heard great things about his molds and can't wait to try them out.

Things sure have changed since I casted last. I've got some Hi tek powder and a convection oven on the way. Have to get with the times!

TXGunNut
09-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Probably shouldn't tell this story on Al but it shows the kind of guy he is so here goes: I hate my old RCBS mould mallet, it leaves splinters everywhere after a session with stubborn moulds....not NOE, of course. ;-)
Al's mould mallet caught my eye, first time I tried to include in in an order he was out of the mallets. :-( Soon another order came together around a new mould I "needed" and the mallet was in stock! The much anticipated package from Provo arrived in short order but no mallet! Quite honestly I was more excited about the mallet than the mould I ordered so was a bit disappointed. I ship stuff all over the country so I know this sort of thing happens so I called to let him know and to tell him not to ship the mallet a la carte as there was a group buy or production run (can't recall) coming together and he could ship it with a later order. He agreed, and within a few weeks I had a shiny new mould....and a really cool mallet! Can't recall which mould it came with (up to 14 now, I think) but that mallet is all I hoped it would be; no more splinters on my casting bench!
Yes, I get excited about simple things...and GREAT customer service! I also get pretty excited over the quality of NOE moulds. They are precision works of art that work very well. Yep, he makes mistakes now and then, we all do. Never seen anyone quicker to offer a solution and more interested in resolving an issue than Al. My only regret is that it seems I always have two or three new NOE moulds waiting to be broken in. Last mould...part of a group buy or production run...probably won't see use for another year or two but I like to support his efforts to make small runs of semi-custom moulds.

Dave18
09-06-2016, 07:29 PM
have had problems in the past ,and he took care of them promptly, cannot ask for more,

outside of getting mold runs started quicker (from the his forum):wink: you know the ten or more posts thing, but then again, I would be constantly broke[smilie=1: if they went quicker:drinks:

anotherred
09-06-2016, 07:53 PM
For an update, AL gave me a call yesterday. Really nice guy on the phone, and I was happy he took the time to call. We'll see how this all plays out in the end, but I'm fairly certain he will make everything right.

gwpercle
09-07-2016, 01:59 PM

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only mould fondler , I thought I had a problem !
Gary

TXGunNut
09-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Mould fondler. I like that, lol. Quite often a new arrival will sit here on the end table until I get around to breaking them in.
Pace of the group buys was pretty brutal on my pocket book for over a year. I helped promote a few, bought a couple I wouldn't need for awhile, upgraded a few favorite Lee/RD moulds and even bought one or two I hadn't planned on buying. Luckily they were spread out a bit but I've learned to click the "Buy" button when he has the mould I want, sometimes it takes awhile to get them back on the shelf.
Can't think of a mould I need right now but it seems I've run out of handles and ruined a few top punches. ;-)

Hamish
09-08-2016, 10:29 PM

Would you please post a pic or two? I'm having a devil of a time understanding what's going on. I use the NOE plugs with the Lee UED myself and as JonB said, depending on case length, it needs one of the Lee plugs pointy side up, pointy side down, or not at all.

Smk SHoe
09-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Another package waiting at home tonite when I got off the road. a 311-155-FN RG4 GC.
Suppose to be in the low 90's tomorrow. So I'll be sweatin while i send a couple pounds thru the new mold. Can't let it sit for a whole week with out some lead going thru it.

anotherred
09-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Heres a picture. This is with the brass pushed on the sizing die upto the stop/flair area and the sizer dropped all the way to the bottom of the die. 380 on the left, 9 on the right.