PDA

View Full Version : My SAECO is sulking...

Echo
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
I bought a SAECO furnace on ebay a couple of weeks ago - my old one acted up and I think I finished it when I tried to repair. So, when this one showed up on ebay, I bid, and bought it. Worked fine for several sessions, then today just quit, in the middle of a session. Used the ohmeter to check, and found no continuity between the prongs on the plug, with the control turned all the way up. Took the cover off the heat control, and found the 50+ year old wires had given up. In the process of taking things apart to replace (cut leads back to good copper and crimp new connectors), a small button fell out. It looks to be ceramic, about 1/16" in diameter and the same length. I'll bet it is necessary, but danged if I know where it came from, and so where to put it back. I like the SAECO more than the Lyman or Lee, of which I have a couple. Anyone out there with a clue? :(

billyb
05-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Contact redding and they will give you the address of a repair center some where near Kansas City, a klin repair place if IIRC. It has been some time since i contacted them i hope this info is correct. Bill

oneokie
05-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Is the pot shown in this thread the one you have?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17508&highlight=saeco

The pot repair place is Kings Kiln Repair in Raywood Mo. Do a Google search, contact info can be found. The man does have some parts, but not many.

Is the "button" a two diameter or more like a marble? If two diameter, it probably is the isolator for one of the thermostat leafs. If more like a marble, probably from the thermo adjusting screw that bears on the other thermo leaf.

Hope this helps.

Echo
05-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Super, oneokie - it is a two-diameter button, so I assumed it was an isolator or somesuch - but - where does it go? Will I have to disassemble the control to remount it? I'll bet (afraid?) so... I'm not averse to working with electrical stuff, so I don't think it needs to go to a shop - until I finish working on it, maybe then... :roll:

James C. Snodgrass
05-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I like that last post Easy ,Not to be repaired until your through. You sound like me , I'de rather die trying than to admit defeat. good luck James[smilie=1:

oneokie
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words?

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/oneokie/100_0228-1.jpg

The white thing in the center of the picture is the 2 diameter button. It fits in a bracket that is retained by the upper screw that holds the thermo to the pot. You did not mention whether or not you had removed the thermo assembly from the pot. If you did, should not be much trouble to remove it again and place the button in the hole in the bracket.

Other wise, you will need more than 2 hands to flex the rear thermo leaf away from the bracket and install the button.

Don't ask me how I know this[smilie=1:

Echo
05-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Oneokie comes through again. In removing the wire from the top contact, the control leaf rotated to the right. That's when I noticed the button lodged between the remaining apparatus. Oh me... I'm fairly sure this is the first time the control system has been exposed to daylight - the wires were extremely oxidized - I had to cut the power cord back about 4" to get to good copper. Anyway - it looks like I have to remove the control, with attendant attention to rusted nuts &cetera.

EasyEd

USAF Ret
NRA Patron
O&U (Old & Ugly)