PDA

View Full Version : 80% lower?

freetrapper
07-25-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm getting ready to order a 80% lower from Daytona Tactical. I've never ordered from them before and was looking for others experiences with them before I order. Thanks

Pee Wee
07-25-2016, 01:14 PM
I live in Debary, not that far away from them. I have purchased a Couple of items from them. We just buy from the store. A couple of my RSO buddies have purchased 80% from them also. They are in Daytona Beach, Fl.

Vann
07-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Bought 5 rifle kits from Daytona over the last 2 years, never had a problem.

Vinne
07-26-2016, 01:49 AM
Just wandering...what is needed for the other 20%?? How hard and what tools are needed?? :confused:

merlin101
07-26-2016, 03:33 AM
Just wandering...what is needed for the other 20%?? How hard and what tools are needed?? :confused:
Drill bits, an end mill helps a LOT and a decent drill press with a cross slide vise (or milling machine) and the jig that costs extra. In other words that 80% lower is gonna cost ya! It is a good learning experience but I wouldn't call it fun.
I used a cheap drill press and quickly found out that the quill had a wobble to it, add the play in from the cheap slide vise and it added up to a sloppy looking lower. Glad it can't be seen from the outside!

Pee Wee
07-26-2016, 05:07 AM
Drill bits, an end mill helps a LOT and a decent drill press with a cross slide vise (or milling machine) and the jig that costs extra. In other words that 80% lower is gonna cost ya! It is a good learning experience but I wouldn't call it fun.
I used a cheap drill press and quickly found out that the quill had a wobble to it, add the play in from the cheap slide vise and it added up to a sloppy looking lower. Glad it can't be seen from the outside!
^^^^^^^What merlin said. I had the same issues. Cost is relivent if you want no serial # and if you are going to build several lowers.

flyer1
07-26-2016, 06:25 AM
https://www.80-lower.com/80-lower/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Lowers&utm_term=80%20percent%20lowers&utm_content=80s

Take a look at this site.

matrixcs
07-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Another source..

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-ar15-lower-receivers.html

freetrapper
07-26-2016, 07:34 AM
Thanks, I placed my order. 7-10 days before it ships seemed kind of long but I guess that means they are busy. We have computer controlled milling machines at work so finishing the lower should go good.

Bohica793
07-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks, I placed my order. 7-10 days before it ships seemed kind of long but I guess that means they are busy. We have computer controlled milling machines at work so finishing the lower should go good.

It is illegal to use someone else's equipment to finish an 80% lower. In doing so, you just made them a firearms manufacturer, subject to all of the licensing requirements and anal probes.

flyer1
07-26-2016, 09:04 AM
It is illegal to use someone else's equipment to finish an 80% lower. In doing so, you just made them a firearms manufacturer, subject to all of the licensing requirements and anal probes.

I do not think that is quite correct. It says you must do the work yourself. I do not believe it says anything about who's equipment can be used.

MrWolf
07-26-2016, 09:09 AM
I looked real hard at this place:

http://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

They use a router jig and looked pretty impressive. I just couldn't justify the 80% with the few I will use.

Bohica793
07-26-2016, 09:16 AM
I do not think that is quite correct. It says you must do the work yourself. I do not believe it says anything about who's equipment can be used.
ATF Ruling 2015-1:

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.”

mold maker
07-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Another source..

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-ar15-lower-receivers.html

I purchased these and machined them with a 1970s Delta drill press with absolutely no problems.
You can always serial # and register them if you later want to pass them along.
Like anything worth doing, care and patients are required. Drill and mill slowly with proper RPM and lube all but guarantee good results. So far the previously used jigs have been used 4 times and are still serviceable.
I added a 1/2" thick piece of steel to the base of my vice for added width stability and weight.

matrixcs
07-26-2016, 09:49 AM
ATF Ruling 2015-1:

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.”

I remember that ruling it was/is meant to stop build parties where hundreds were being done on someone's machinery....( the feds always find a way to stop the fun!!!)

Moleman-
07-26-2016, 10:04 AM
If you're careful the jigs will last a long time. Cost wise I don't think you're going to beat an Anderson arms lower when they're on sale for $35-$50 even with the added transfer fee. Now if you just want to make one for fun, then a mill makes it very easy although many have been done on drill presses and there is the relatively new router jig. Take your time and most boo-boo's can be fixed with aluminum soldering rods (zinc) and a plumbers torch or even JBweld.

Boolit_Head
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I looked real hard at doing a 80% lower. With lowers on sale at 39 bucks at times I finally decided it did not make much sense.

freetrapper
07-26-2016, 11:14 AM

I don't want to subject my company to that so I will have to use a different method.

Vann
07-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I use the 80% Arms router jig, it still looks new after five lowers. I did my first lower with an old Craftsman router, it turned out fine. Since then I bought the biggest Boush router Lowe's had, they look even better now.

The only problem I run in to with a big router is that as you get deeper in to the receiver the endmill will want to chatter more, so you have to move slower on the finishing passes to keep things really smooth and I have to use the drill press to finish the trigger slot.

One company is now making a jig that will do both AR15 and AR10 lowers, it's either M1 Machining or Blitzkrieg.

merlin101
07-26-2016, 01:31 PM
I looked real hard at doing a 80% lower. With lowers on sale at 39 bucks at times I finally decided it did not make much sense.
It's not about saving money that's for sure! I did it just for the "I MADE THIS" factor.

Boolit_Head
07-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah the "I made this" lost out to the "I saved this much" feelings.

toallmy
07-26-2016, 04:29 PM
I don't understand what a 80 percent lower is , pardon my ignorance . If you finish the 20 percent don't you still just have half .

Boolit_Head
07-26-2016, 04:35 PM
A 80% lower is one that only has 80% of the machine work done. Specific items can not be fitted therefore it is not classified as a firearm and is not serialized. But there is a legal path to finish the machining of the receivers and use them.

toallmy
07-26-2016, 04:51 PM
I kinda got it from reading the thread or thought so thanks for clearing it up for me . Seems like fun but I could do a lot of harm with a drill press . Have fun you all .

flyer1
07-26-2016, 06:17 PM
ATF Ruling 2015-1:

BOHICA, thanks for the clarification. I have not looked at 80% lowers in a couple of years. It looks like ATF has made changes to the regs since I was interested. Thanks again for keeping me (us) legal.

OBIII
08-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Another source for 80%. http://www.polymer80.com/
OB

Tackleberry41
08-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I bought several lowers from the place in Daytona, came in a couple days, worked fine. Only reason I did it is somebody went in on buying the jig. Havent decided if going to sell the jig or not. Pretty much everybody who has seen my finished rifle all want a lower. Yet seem to be waiting for me to buy the parts or something.