PDA

View Full Version : What to use to hold cases while pouring in the powder?

greenjoytj
07-25-2016, 12:11 PM
What to use to hold a case while pouring in the powder?

I load with a single stage press using the batch method with 3 loading blocks in play.

Prepped cases are standing in a Sinclair International heavy duty 50 hole white polyethylene block.

Another identical 50 hole loading block is use just to hold the single case I'm about to fill with powder.

After that case has had the weighed powder charge funnelled into it, I move the case to a third loading block.

My problem is I don't like using a multi hole block just to hold a single case.

I'd like to find a block about 4"x4" with just a single hole in the middle and a wide moat like trough milled around the single hole to catch powder if a spill occurs.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Do you know anyone local who does woodworking. Easy project if one has the tools. What cartridges are you loading? Base size make a difference. 9mm vs 45-70 - not the same blocks.

Harter66
07-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I use 9mm ,40 S&W and 45 ACP box trays for 90% of the volume batch loading . The only things that don't currently fit are 45 Colts/Schofield and 30-30 and a single belted mag . I think I will dig out the tray that came with the RCBS Partner kit for those .... I have a Lee cartridge tray floating around too .....
The mtm box is currently supporting the belted mag.

dtknowles
07-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I hold the case in my hand when I pour the powder. I often use just a single block and I load in batches of 20 or 40. Sized/primed cases on one end of the block and they move to the other end of the block when they get charged. Measure charge, pick up empty case, put on funnel, pour powder, remove funnel, place case at the other end of the block.

Tim

WFO2
07-25-2016, 01:05 PM
I use my hand to hold the case with a funnel on top then it goes to the press to be loaded . If single stage loading I put them in a loading block ( tray ) . I start out with all the cases in the block upside down then I know the ones right side up charged and helps me keep track for no double charges .

jimkim
07-25-2016, 01:16 PM
I either hold it in my hand and put it back in the block, or leave the cases in the block and go down the line and charge one after another until they're all done.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

r1kk1
07-25-2016, 01:26 PM
My wife pours powder in case and I seat the bullet and set in ammo box. If it needs crimping, I will crimp the round and turn it upside down in the box.

Take care

r1kk1

Walter Laich
07-25-2016, 04:25 PM
I hold the case in my hand when I pour the powder. I often use just a single block and I load in batches of 20 or 40. Sized/primed cases on one end of the block and they move to the other end of the block when they get charged. Measure charge, pick up empty case, put on funnel, pour powder, remove funnel, place case at the other end of the block.

Tim

same here though when I load 38 S&W I use a homemade powder scoop made out of about 1/2 a 22 case and just pour directly into the case without a funnel.

gwpercle
07-25-2016, 05:43 PM
I use two MTM Two Sided Universal Loading Trays (the red ones), stand empty cases in the first one , pour powder in the case and place it in the second. All charged cases wind up in the second tray when done. The holes are far enough apart for fingers and funnel use and any spills fall in tray recesses. Turn tray over onto a sheet of paper and put powder back in jug.
Different sized and depth holes in both sides allow for loading just about any case.
Neat and handy product!
Gary

Green Frog
07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
How about this? I put the primed cases mouth down in the block as they are primed, then turn each upright as I put powder in... one block, no likelihood of confusion, very safe and efficient. 8-)

Froggie

C.F.Plinker
07-25-2016, 06:37 PM
I have one of the Flambeau loading blocks that holds 60 rounds. After the cases are sized and primed they go into one side of the block with the primers up. As I charge them they go onto the other side of the loading block. This way there are always two empty rows between the uncharged cases and the charged cases. When they have all been charged, I take a flashlight and look in each and every one to make sure they all have the same amount of powder. Then I set boolits on every case and start the seating and crimping.

I have made some 55 hole loading blocks and it takes longer to mark the location for the holes than it takes to drill them. If you are going to make one use a forstner bit which will give a flat bottomed hole or drill all the way through and glue a piece of 1/8 inch plywood on the bottom.

blikseme300
07-25-2016, 07:00 PM
How about this? I put the primed cases mouth down in the block as they are primed, then turn each upright as I put powder in... one block, no likelihood of confusion, very safe and efficient. 8-)

Froggie

Same method I use. I don't like any more pieces & things on the bench when loading in batch as things could get complicated fast if you are distracted by anything.

mdi
07-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Part of my "safe method" for charging my cases is I have a pile of primed/prepped brass on the bench (in a container). I pick one up and I hold it in my hand with a couple fingers holding a funnel on top of the case (rifle, pistol and revolver cases). The charged case goes into my block, and when all the cases are charged I look in each case to make sure no OOPS! get by. I may sound like spilling powder is too easy this way, but I rarely, if ever, spill any. Only charged cases go into the loading block and the block doesn't move, it's sitting next to y press and a charged case gets picked up and put into the press and a bullet is seated and/or crimped.

country gent
07-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Loading blocks can easily be mde from wood plexi glass plastics or metals with just a drill press and a simple fixture ( if you want to several). A simple lay out and punch mark for a start can be done, this iseasier with a set of heremphradite calipers than a ruller and pencil. This works well for 2-5 blocks. After than a piece of 1/4 X 6-8"X length of blocks. Drill hole pattern in it and then use a simple transfer punch or drill thru it clamped to blocks.

ole 5 hole group
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I think the competitors in benchrest still load at the bench using a drop tube for charging cases. We use to charge 7 to 10 cases per relay (some did a few more) but one could charge 100 cases in a loading block, if they had a desire to do so.

Some of us modified the drop tube to fit our individual needs.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/powder-drop-tubes/index.htm

str8wal
07-26-2016, 10:37 AM
For me, it is a simple process. I pick the sized, expanded and primed case up from the loading block and hold it under the Lyman 55 until the charge is dropped and then to the press where the bullet is then seated and crimped. The loaded round is then replaced into the loading block, and repeat.

dtknowles
07-26-2016, 11:16 AM
For me, it is a simple process. I pick the sized, expanded and primed case up from the loading block and hold it under the Lyman 55 until the charge is dropped and then to the press where the bullet is then seated and crimped. The loaded round is then replaced into the loading block, and repeat.

If I am dropping charges I don't even take the cases out of the loading block. I count the charges in my head and then inspect them with a flashlight.

Tim

jmorris
07-26-2016, 12:29 PM
A shell holder if the measure is press mounted or my hand it it's not and/or every charge is being weighed.

Kevin Rohrer
07-26-2016, 08:13 PM
I use my Mark-1 fingers.

Doc Highwall
07-26-2016, 09:15 PM
I use two of the Sinclair poly 50 round loading trays, and a Saturn funnel that is caliber specific. All the cases that are primed are in one tray, and the case that is going to have the powder dumped into it has the Saturn funnel on it. After I dump the powder into the case I move the case to the other loading tray.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/480995/satern-powder-funnel-22-caliber-aluminum-and-brass

dudel
07-27-2016, 11:23 AM
When I use the single stage, I mount the Dillon on it. I move the case from the block to the shellholder, dump powder and move the case back to the loading block. Consistent activation of the powder dump and no spills.

I guess the answer is fingers.

LakeviewBulldog
07-27-2016, 04:30 PM
I have red and blue reloading trays. Prepped cases go in the blue tray on my right. They get charged one at a time and then move to the red tray on my left. Everything moves right to left, never the other way around. I just drop the charge directly from the powder measure into the cartridge. I messed around with trying to make a single shell holder out of washers and odd sockets. Nothing seemed to work as well or as fast as the old fingers.

dverna
07-27-2016, 05:09 PM

This is the safest way to do it. Once the powder enters the case, a bullet is immediately seated. For plinking ammo I use a powder measure and for working up accuracy loads or varmint ammo I use a Chargemaster. I do not use loading blocks. The completed rounds go into cartridge boxes

greenjoytj
07-28-2016, 09:05 AM
I think my problem is caused by the type of funnel I use, it's a Forster with a 5" long metal drop tube.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/product/powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube/
Trying to balance the flair of the long drop tube on the case mouth with one hand, while aiming the scale pan to dump powder into the top of the funnel which is several inches above the cartridge case with my other hand. Its a wiggly balancing act. I'll look into using a shorter funnel as I am reloading 38 Spl. and 357 Mag which is a new cartridge for me. I am just used to my loading routine for 22 Hornet which works well with the long drop tube funnel.

greenjoytj
07-30-2016, 09:52 AM
I got a short neck funnel and reloaded some 357 mag cases. Holding the case with my fingers on a hard flat surface no loading block in the way. I also tried seating the bullet directly after powder charging the case. The method work very well I'll do it this way from now on. Thanks to all the posters.

Geezer in NH
07-30-2016, 02:45 PM
I take primed case out of coffe can, Hold with my left ahd thumb and forefinger, pour the powder and look in case then put the powdered case in the shell holder on my SS press. Then elevate case into a straight line seating die then drop bullet into the die and seat it in the case.

No loading block used ever just coffee cans.

RP
07-31-2016, 11:39 PM
When I am doing rifles after I check my powder charge I place my bullet nose first into the case. So when I have a spill or what ever and I lose powder what falls is not landing in weighed charged cases making me have to start all over aggggg.
As far as loading blocks I just use two one to hold the empty brass and one to hold the charged brass then I can just seat the lot and start over.

Echo
08-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Very similar to my process. I have the expanded/belled/primed cases in a tupper - take one out at a time, throw the powder from my Ohaus Duo-Measure, seat the bullet/boolit, put it in the press, and complete the seating. Put completed round in ammo box.
For pistol rounds, if I'm not using the Dillon, I put 100 expanded/belled/primed cases in my loading block and use my Pacific/Hornady pistol powder thrower to charge ALL cases. A visual inspection shows if there were any misses. Put a few boolits on top of the cases, seat them and put completed rounds in another tupper. Repeat...