PDA

View Full Version : Why did Lee discontinue HP mold?

capvan
07-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Recently a friend loaned me a Lee HP mold with their "new" system. A couple of pins mounted in the mold. Works great!

When I went looking for one to buy, I discovered that Lee had discontinued this style of mold some years ago. Why?

I know I can modify molds to make HP, but I don't really want to do that.

I've been scouring shops (VT, NH, ME) and have come up empty. Nada for ebay as well.

Why, oh why did Lee do this?

Woe is me.:sad:

imashooter2
07-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Their Industrial Engineer determined that their resources were better placed elsewhere to maximize profits.

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 10:44 AM
If you absolutely think you MUST cast HP boolits......just buy your molds for MiHec on here. He makes great HP molds of that style and good boolits rain out of them! Unlike those old slooooooooow bottom 1 or 2 cavity things people have used for years. His modern style brass molds are 10X better than any Lee molds I have.

You can waste you time modifying your molds, but I personally see no need for HP boolits. Other than OOOH's and AAAAH's at the range from non-casters! I have 2 MiHec molds for them just for S&G's. I prefer my standard boolits over the HP's.

capvan
07-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the info. I didn't even know brass molds existed. I want to cast HP's, well, just because. And it does impress the kiddies.:redneck:

tja6435
07-25-2016, 12:21 PM
NOE is an American manufacturer of hollowpoint molds as well.

WFO2
07-25-2016, 01:02 PM
In my dealings with NOE I have found Al to be a stand up guy to boot .

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 01:13 PM
If you absolutely think you MUST cast HP boolits......just buy your molds for MiHec on here. He makes great HP molds of that style and good boolits rain out of them! Unlike those old slooooooooow bottom 1 or 2 cavity things people have used for years. His modern style brass molds are 10X better than any Lee molds I have.

You can waste you time modifying your molds, but I personally see no need for HP boolits. Other than OOOH's and AAAAH's at the range from non-casters! I have 2 MiHec molds for them just for S&G's. I prefer my standard boolits over the HP's.

I bought em for the same reason :D just because. The 45 mold also uses less lead than my lee so that is an added bonus. I've got 2 brass MP hollow points and they cast like a dream. I didn't know NOE made HP molds too, but I have plenty of those molds too that cast great. Heck even my lee molds do their part, but no HP varieties there.

Hardcast416taylor
07-25-2016, 01:17 PM
I bought LEE HP molds in .44 cal. and .38 cal. a few years back and only used them molding once. In good shape, make me an offer for both.Robert

Artful
07-25-2016, 01:36 PM
NOE also makes a good bunch of HP molds - but on many of mine I just use a forester jig and drill them.

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. I didn't even know brass molds existed. I want to cast HP's, well, just because. And it does impress the kiddies.:redneck:

Once you go brass, you will never buy another aluminum mold again. They are a thing of beauty and last forever. Just treat them like you would any other fine tool.

RogerDat
07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Once you go brass, you will never buy another aluminum mold again. They are a thing of beauty and last forever. Just treat them like you would any other fine tool. With brass isn't it possible to solder the mold blocks? Always wondered about that.

Another vote for NOE if they have a style you like. Always been happy with their aluminum molds, never tried their brass ones. I may have brass tastes but an aluminum budget keeps me in check. Hard to justify HP molds when there is so much other neat or useful equipment to be bought, that said I always wanted one with maybe a cup point for the 45 colt. Yeah mostly a matter of oooh's and aaah's since 255 grain RF is generally not needing expansion to do the job.

big bore 99
07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I think you would need some flux to make brass molds solder. I have one by Lee for 45-70, It shoots well. Why not just drill them?

Mk42gunner
07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
With brass isn't it possible to solder the mold blocks? Always wondered about that. ...

Theoretically you can solder brass mold halves together. In actuality, it is pretty difficult. To solder anything (brass, copper, steel) it has to be clean i.e. no oxidation at all, and a high tin percentage in the alloy helps a lot.

After you get whatever machining oil that is on the mold off of it, heat cycle it a few times and it will oxidize. Once that happens, no soldering will take place.

If you do manage to solder a brass mold shut, just float it on top of your pot until the "solder" melts, then clean it off and start over.

I like brass molds; but they are a bit heavier than iron molds, a lot heavier than aluminum, and they are usually more expensive as well.

Robert

capvan
07-25-2016, 03:08 PM
I bought LEE HP molds in .44 cal. and .38 cal. a few years back and only used them molding once. In good shape, make me an offer for both.Robert

Email me? KB1IIX@ARRL.net

dragon813gt
07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Once you go brass, you will never buy another aluminum mold again. They are a thing of beauty and last forever. Just treat them like you would any other fine tool.

I've bought more NOE aluminium molds over the past two years even though he makes brass ones. I love brass molds and how they hold heat. It makes for a more relaxed cadence. But I will eventually be old some day and I know the weight of a four cavity brass mold will be to much. The aluminium that Al uses is a lot higher grade than what Lee uses. I like both brass and aluminium but if I have a choice I will choose aluminium. My position has changed since I started using NOE molds.

Tinning is the real concern w/ brass molds. Little specks get stuck and if not removed they grow. And they can be a real bear to remove. There are a bunch of threads about this. Once the brass is good and oxidized they cast like a dream.

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 04:23 PM
With brass isn't it possible to solder the mold blocks? Always wondered about that.

Another vote for NOE if they have a style you like. Always been happy with their aluminum molds, never tried their brass ones. I may have brass tastes but an aluminum budget keeps me in check. Hard to justify HP molds when there is so much other neat or useful equipment to be bought, that said I always wanted one with maybe a cup point for the 45 colt. Yeah mostly a matter of oooh's and aaah's since 255 grain RF is generally not needing expansion to do the job.

If you follow the well-known proceedure of seasoning the brass mold B4 ever casting, the golden oxide formed will NOT tin. And most are not in the practice of using any kind of soldering flux in their molds! I have never had Pb stick to a brass mold. Not so with aluminum. I am always digging little hunks of Pb off the faces with a pointed dowel!!!!!

Brass molds are GREAT. That is the material of choice for decades for making foundry and mono type pieces. The masters were brass and the individual letters were formed by a casting machine.

Brass is the only mold material I will now buy. And once you get them up to FULL casting temp with your electric hot plate, they hold heat much better and cast perfect boolits every time.

banger

kenyerian
07-25-2016, 05:08 PM
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ Try this link if you want a Lee Mold Hollow point. I prefer Aluminum molds and NOE makes good ones. Brass is too heavy for me. I have two from group buys and while they do cast nicely the extra weight shortens the casting session for me. Any way if you want a Lee Mold Eric will fix you up.

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Brass too heavy? That's why I do my upper body workouts! Not too heavy for me. I can cast for several hours easily with a brass 4-5 cav mold. You just gotta have a comfy place to cast like it do! Egronomic design of your seating area is the key.

But use what you have to use.

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Brass too heavy? That's why I do my upper body workouts! Not too heavy for me. I can cast for several hours easily with a brass 4-5 cav mold. You just gotta have a comfy place to cast like it do! Egronomic design of your seating area is the key.

But use what you have to use.

I use the handy dandy mold guide on my promelt. Much easier now that it is adjusted to the proper height!. The H&G 6 gang mold weighs much more than my brass molds. Like you I just enjoy the stable temp and easier casting. I buy what I like I have no reason sometimes.

dragon813gt
07-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Simple fact is that brass molds weigh more than aluminium ones. I have no issue using brass molds at this time. But there have been lots of older guys discussing the weight disadvantage. Same for guys w/ arthritis. I should have just bitten the bullet from the start and bought a master caster. Then I would only have to worry about the weight of the lead :)

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 06:21 PM
I like the fact its mostly older guys on the forum. Lets me soak up all the useful knowledge without having to make the mistakes myself! Not saying I don't but still, tis nice. I don't like being a millenial =/ very disappointing generation to be a part of so far.

gwpercle
07-25-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm going on 66 and the NOE 4 cavity in aluminum is about as heavy as I can stand , they are surprisingly heavy, brass would wear me out. I ladle cast from an open top pot .
I spotted my favorite 38/357 design at NOE store , 3 cavity , aluminum and in stock...ordered it!
It's just right for my hand arm strength...can cast much longer before getting tired.
If you plan to get older...think about the weight thing. Getting old sucks but I guess it beats the alternative.
Gary

dragon813gt
07-25-2016, 06:30 PM
I don't like being a millenial =/ very disappointing generation to be a part of so far.

I'm glad I'm a generation before yours ;) :laugh:

DerekP Houston
07-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm glad I'm a generation before yours ;) :laugh:

Until they changed the years I WAS in that generation. Now I'm just ashamed even more......

Curmudgeons are my favorites. They really stick it to you and don't give a flying care in the world.

bangerjim
07-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Huuuuuuuuh??????????

white eagle
07-25-2016, 08:39 PM
brass molds is my second favorite mold material
I think Iron is a touch better
at least for my way/cadence of casting
Lee makes a good mold unsure why they quit making
hp's but I am sure it has more to do with the bottom line
than the product

Hardcast416taylor
07-25-2016, 11:02 PM
My LEE molds are now spoken for and awaiting payment.Robert

mold maker
07-26-2016, 08:58 AM
The cessation of HP molds by LEE was a product of the bean counters. Too many parts and extra machining operations, for too few sales, at too high a price , is a death sentence.
At 74 and with arthritis, I agree the lighter weight molds are easier, but I still like brass, especially the 4C HP type. Having my choice of several HP designs along with FP is a real deal breaker.