PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger 30-06

beechbum444
07-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Has anyone had any experience, thoughts or opinions, with a Winchester Ranger in 30-06???

nekshot
07-25-2016, 07:59 AM
economy model 70 if I remember correct. Nothing wrong with them.

lead-1
07-25-2016, 02:29 PM
I have a cousin who has one. It is a plain model 70 as far as I could tell, the wood is non checkered, not even pressed in and maybe birch or something, it is a more blond color.
Honestly, it in my opinion it shoots just a good as my model 70.

Sweetpea
07-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Think of it as a model 70 adl.

My son's 308 is a ranger, walnut stock with checkering, and a hooded front sight.

But it has a blind magazine. Only difference, but they may have changed them a bit through the years.

rmcc
07-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Some of the Rangers had a side safety, like a Remi, other than that , they shot well. Just no frills as stated above.

rmcc

bedbugbilly
07-26-2016, 06:34 PM
deleted

mdell49
07-30-2016, 02:16 AM
Ironic that this thread was started. I was recently in Montana and was browsing through the used rifle rack and came across the Model 70 Ranger in 30-06. The bluing was 95% with the floor plate being pristine. A small gouge on the comb is the only blemish on the blond hardwood stock. The stock has a 1/2" thick rubber recoil pad and sling swivel studs. They were offered with blind magazines and with hinged floor plate. This particular rifle has a hinged floor plate and a 2 piece trigger guard. The action is the push feed and plunger ejector. there is an anti bind slot cut in the bottom of the right locking lug and promotes silky smooth action. Seriously one of the smoothest bolt actions I've examined as of late. The Model 70 trigger is the best rigger ever on BG rifle. It can be adjusted to provide a safe crisp light trigger pull but is simple and robust. The BBL is like new I doubt if there was more than a box of ammo run through it. The open sights that came with the rifle from the factory had been removed but it did have Leupold 2 piece bases and rings. I picked that rifle up from my local gun shop just today and mounted a Vortex Diamondback 3X9 on it. I hope to get out tomorrow and will provide a range report. I have some Winchester Supreme 180 gr Fail Safe, 180 gr Remington Core Loc, Hornady 165 gr Light Magnums and some hand loads that have proven to be accurate in several different 06's. If the rifle in question is even close to this one I would be all over it. Should be a great hunting rifle. Oh one last item the rifle weighed 8.2 lbs with the 3X9 scope mounted. Not an Ultra Light by any stretch but about perfect for an 06. Enough weight to dampen recoil a bit and light enough you won't mind packing around all day. Good Luck

izzyjoe
07-30-2016, 09:19 AM
I had one years ago, I killed a few deer with, but man was it heavy. Traded for something lighter, but there is nothing wrong with the m70. Actually the guy that got mine restocked it and made a nice rifle from it. They are good project rifles!

Ragnarok
07-30-2016, 10:00 AM
I owned one years ago and should've kept it. Mine had a blind 4 shot mag(no floorplate) and a rear sight that was same/similar to a Win. Model 94. Also had a standard weight/contour barrel. It was a superb shooting rifle(.30-06 chambered) and I believe it was a US Repeating Arms made gun.

Not long after I traded it off I wanted another one...but the newer versions of the Winchester Ranger then had lighter weight barrels(like a Featherweight) and I couldn't find another Ranger like the one I had owned.

A

mdell49
07-30-2016, 08:14 PM
As promised I went to the range today and the results were pretty predictable. 47 grains of IMR 4895 165 grain Sierra RP cases and WW LRP. 3 shots @ 100yds .746 and 48 grains of IMR 4064 RP cases 165 grain Sierra and WW primers .960 I did not chronograph them today but have in the past in other 06 rifles velocity has always hovered around 2700 fps. I will shoot them again to verify it wasn't a fluke and will chronograph them at that time. Good solid hunting rifle.

HangFireW8
07-30-2016, 10:44 PM
As promised I went to the range today and the results were pretty predictable. 47 grains of IMR 4895 165 grain Sierra RP cases and WW LRP. 3 shots @ 100yds .746 and 48 grains of IMR 4064 RP cases 165 grain Sierra and WW primers .960 I did not chronograph them today but have in the past in other 06 rifles velocity has always hovered around 2700 fps. I will shoot them again to verify it wasn't a fluke and will chronograph them at that time. Good solid hunting rifle.

How boring is that? You'll have to fix it up to maintain your interest in that rifle. All my best rifles languish in my safe, while I try to improve the bad ones.[smilie=b: