PDA

View Full Version : Waay off topic question

Wayne Smith
07-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Our Church has a new building, finished last year. That building has two outdoor (in the wall) water sources. The cover bolt takes a 9mm socket to open. The thing to turn on the water is a square piece that a 9mm socket is too small and a 10mm is way too big. The original wrench (locked up in the building) is apparently a two in one socket wrench. I'm assuming it is proprietary.

Any ideas of what I might use to turn on the water? It is inside the wall, so a socket is the only access.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Could it actually require an inch measurement socket?

jcren
07-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Try 3/8" I believe that is just under 10mm

labradigger1
07-24-2016, 08:47 PM
The part that is square will require an 8 point socket to grab. 6 and 12 points won't work. You may try one of those new fangled "fit all" sockets. A basin wrench may work as well.

popper
07-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Special plumber wrench, about the same size as a socket make end.

country gent
07-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Obtain a piece of 3/8 key stock the length you need plus. File one end of the key stock down to .360-.365 square 1" - 1 1/2" back from end. Cut 4 pieces of 1/8" by 2" .360 wide solder or weld these to the cut down end. Thus making a square socket on an stem to use.

Sweetpea
07-24-2016, 09:16 PM
You should be able to find a four sided square socket tool for water outlets at pretty much any home improvement or plumbing store.

I always used to carry one back in the days when I pressure washed at commercial locations.

William Yanda
07-24-2016, 10:14 PM
I used to carry a "4 way wrench", about 2 1/2 inches across each way with 4 different sized sockets on it for water bibs. When that didn't work, a vice grips and a 3/8 inch drive extension did.

frkelly74
07-24-2016, 10:16 PM
I got one of the wrenches from ACE Hardware a few years back. It is a 4 way wrench that fits multiple sizes.

dtknowles
07-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Our Church has a new building, finished last year. That building has two outdoor (in the wall) water sources. The cover bolt takes a 9mm socket to open. The thing to turn on the water is a square piece that a 9mm socket is too small and a 10mm is way too big. The original wrench (locked up in the building) is apparently a two in one socket wrench. I'm assuming it is proprietary.

Any ideas of what I might use to turn on the water? It is inside the wall, so a socket is the only access.

For squares use 12 point sockets, I would think something either SAE or metric would work.

Tim

StolzerandSons
07-24-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand, do you need to use the water tonight or do you need a tool to use all the time, if you need to use the water tonight wouldn't it be best to call the Pastor or other Church person that could get the tool. If you need the tool on a regular basis...again wouldn't it be best to get the tool from inside the church?

Bzcraig
07-25-2016, 01:11 AM
You should be able to find a four sided square socket tool for water outlets at pretty much any home improvement or plumbing store.

I always used to carry one back in the days when I pressure washed at commercial locations.

It's called a water key where I come from.

starmac
07-25-2016, 02:39 AM
For squares use 12 point sockets, I would think something either SAE or metric would work.

Tim

8 point are made for square nuts, 12 points don't and it doesn't matter if you use standard or metric.
Sears and probably have some new, as in the last few years, funny looking sockets that do work on square as well as 6 point heads, but like mentioned above a water key is easier and cheaper, no need for a ratchet or breakover bar.

Southern Son
07-25-2016, 02:40 AM
Hammer and cold chisel, turns the water on real good. I don't do much plumbing.....

starmac
07-25-2016, 02:44 AM
Hammer and cold chisel, turns the water on real good. I don't do much plumbing.....

Once you knock a hole in the pipe, how do you turn it off when you are finished. lol

Southern Son
07-25-2016, 03:16 AM
Once you knock a hole in the pipe, how do you turn it off when you are finished. lol

Generally, that is when I call a plumber. As you may have guessed, as far as plumbers go I am a pretty good juggler.

w5pv
07-25-2016, 06:39 AM
If you don't do nothing,things don't get elf'd up

Petrol & Powder
07-25-2016, 07:53 AM
https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-water-key-four-way-steel-34a523/i/G5295132/?utm_term=D_PB4_Pipes&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA_US_Tier1Brand_ValueBrand&utm_content=All%20Products&gclid=CLnStd7Gjs4CFdGkNwodk24LuQ&gclsrc=ds

Wayne Smith
07-25-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure I understand, do you need to use the water tonight or do you need a tool to use all the time, if you need to use the water tonight wouldn't it be best to call the Pastor or other Church person that could get the tool. If you need the tool on a regular basis...again wouldn't it be best to get the tool from inside the church?

The context - we are building a meditation garden at the Church - so we will be needing this on an ongoing basis so we don't bother those with keys to the building. Nobody is there all the time and LOML and I both work full time so getting there to work is not when others are there.

popper
07-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Water irrigation wrench - used to be used for house shutoff down here till they figured nobody carried one. Now they use a standard bib knob which always rusts when underground. Measure the head as there may be several 'standards' now.
My gad fireplace shutoff key is ~0.35" if that works (whatever in fractions).

dtknowles
07-25-2016, 10:51 AM
8 point are made for square nuts, 12 points don't and it doesn't matter if you use standard or metric.
Sears and probably have some new, as in the last few years, funny looking sockets that do work on square as well as 6 point heads, but like mentioned above a water key is easier and cheaper, no need for a ratchet or breakover bar.

8 points are not common and will not work on hex but 12 points are common and will work on hex, square or twelve point heads. Twelve divided by 2 equals 6 and twelve divided by 3 equals 4.

Tim

starmac
07-25-2016, 11:12 AM
You can divide 12 all you want, if you will look at the difference between the way a 12 point socket is built and the 8 point, the points themselves are built completely different, 12 points are sort of rounded, just like a 12 point bolt head, while the 8 point has sharp points. You may get by on a water cutoff, but they will not work on a bolt that is torqued. Most folks do not have a set of 8 point sockets, because square head bolts are not used in many applications, but they are sold every day.

dtknowles
07-25-2016, 11:25 AM
You can divide 12 all you want, if you will look at the difference between the way a 12 point socket is built and the 8 point, the points themselves are built completely different, 12 points are sort of rounded, just like a 12 point bolt head, while the 8 point has sharp points. You may get by on a water cutoff, but they will not work on a bolt that is torqued. Most folks do not have a set of 8 point sockets, because square head bolts are not used in many applications, but they are sold every day.

I guess we are talking past each other. I was suggesting that they might have something in their tool box that would work if they had twelve point sockets in both metric and SAE. That is what I have in my meager tool boxes, I don't have any 8 point sockets and have never seen one but I believe you when you say they are sold every day. I have used 12 point sockets on square nuts and bolts and they worked fine. I have not done it a lot as square nut and bolt heads are not that common. It could be that at that small size the 12 point might not work if the head has rounded off corners the square nuts and bolt heads that I have worked with had sharp corners and were more like half inch.

If they are going out to buy a tool for this job they should not be looking for a 12 point socket, there are better choices.

Tim

tunnug
07-25-2016, 12:01 PM

If you can measure the square across the flats or even point to point I'll take a look at my keys and send it to you if I have one, I used to do construction and have several sizes I don't use anymore.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2016, 05:53 PM
I think I've found what I need, readily available in the plumbing department of Home Depot.

Outpost75
07-25-2016, 06:12 PM
The tool you want is called a Silcock key. They come in both metric and English.

Home Depot is a good place. If your building has an odd size, try W.W. Grainger