PDA

View Full Version : mixing lead and jacketed will it hurt Accuracy

lonewolf5347
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I have a 30-06 that shoots outstanding IMR 4350 53. grains and any 165 pointed soft point bullet or 3031 44.5 grain

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/30-06target001.jpg

I would like to try cast bullets in the gun and read on different forums you can't mix the two lead bullets and jacketed

pumpguy
05-24-2008, 07:00 PM
You could probably mix them if you get all the lead out before shooting bullets and ALL the copper out before shooting cast!

JeffinNZ
05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
The jacketed bullets won't mind a spot of lead though you should not getting leading with the right loads anyways. Lead bullets will NOT tolerate copper fouling however. How passionate are you about cleaning? That will be the decider.

Newtire
05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
This topic has come up several times & I'd be willing to bet that if you have a nice smooth bore to begin with, you could probably follow the j-word bullets right up with some cast. I do it all the time in several rifles & revolvers and have noticed no problems. Try it and see. Some things I used to think just because it had been said just don't hold water when you try them yourself. If it works, go for it.

docone31
05-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I have shot jacketed bullets after lead, to get the lead out. To some effect it does work. It does however seem to planish lead into the bore also.
When I test a lead load, I fire the load, run a brush through the bore, then fire jacketed.
I have not noticed all that much difference in shot placement. I am allowing for the differences also between lead and jacketeds.
When I target shoot, I use pie plates. I fire the first round, then try to group around the first shot.
So far, I haven't really noticed that much difference. If I had to take a deer, it would be a good hit. I do not hunt however, so I try for more.
This will be an interesting thread.

Bent Ramrod
05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
I have a Model 70 in .270 that doesn't seem to care whether it has had jacketed bullets through the bore. It shoots cast and jacketed alternately just fine. I clean between shooting sessions (cast and jacketed) with Hoppe's #9 but don't do anything extraordinary to remove copper fouling.

JohnH
05-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I have a 25-06 Encore in which I alternately shoot full juice jacketed loads, reduced jacketed loads and cast through. Get a high quality copper removing bore cleaner. Barnes CR-10 comes to mind as does Shooters Choice. There are several others that are designed to remove coper fouling from the copper pills that are all the rage these days. Clean throughly prior to shooting cast. I've found no evidence that mixing the two causes any particular problems.

jlchucker
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
You can often get away with it in a M94, 30-30 Winchester, with a good barrel. I never tried it with a Marlin. It never hurts to give any rifle a good cleaning after a day's shooting, though.