PDA

View Full Version : Is there much of a market for vintage Lee handloaders?

chutestrate
07-24-2016, 10:19 AM
I've been doing a lot of purging lately, and I have 6 different handloader sets from Lee that I have moved with several times. I see that the 12 ga is popular, but what about 38 special, 30-30, 3006. I forget the other ones I have. There wasn't a lot of variation on ebay to compare against. I'm not sure what to do with them. I just know I don't have a use for them.

WebMonkey
07-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Models still in production aren't in demand.
So usually less than buying new.

I'm a big fan of the Lee loaders.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Now the out-of-production models can be worth more. If you can find one for reloading .410 shotgun shells on e-bay you'll be shocked at what they sell for. :shock:

jimkim
07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Now the out-of-production models can be worth more. If you can find one for reloading .410 shotgun shells on e-bay you'll be shocked at what they sell for. :shock:
You ain't lying. I saw some 410 loaders break $100.00 a couple of years ago. There's no telling what they bring now.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

WebMonkey
07-24-2016, 03:56 PM
7.62x25 Mauser
I use it for my tokarev.

Have a 410 deluxe and a 380 auto.
Always looking for more.
:)

W.R.Buchanan
07-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Certain ones are worth more than others . .410 loaders are at a Premium because they didn't make them for long. Generic calibers .30-30,.30-06 etc don't bring as much because you can buy a brand new one, which is probably better than the older ones, for $35 and there are hundreds of them on Ebay.

I can tell you that if you post them in the S&S Forum here they will all be gone in 15 minutes!

Randy

RogerDat
07-25-2016, 04:59 PM
They are still popular, but some research on what is still available from the Lee Precision web site is in order. Not there then should fetch a premium, if complete.
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-rifle/
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-pistol/

And Titan Reloading - their prices are better than Lee, more the market price than suggested retail.
https://www.titanreloading.com/classic-lee-loader

Followed by an eBay search for the specific loader if you don't find Lee still selling them in order to establish a market price. Look on the eBay left menu there should be a check box for searching filtered to only in sold listings, toward the bottom of all the search selections. If complete and in good condition they seem to hold price up near new fairly well. Say around what a new one cost without shipping as a to your door shipped price seems common.

BTW the black box of the older ones and red boxes are different period in the Lee history. Main thing is the scoops are different, load data for one era scoop won't be right for the other. Think scoops are black and yellow as I recall. One is in CC's the other is not, I think both have a # designator so #4 is NOT the same between the two era sets.

chutestrate
07-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Interesting information. Thank you everyone. I'll get the list and pictures together and post them a little later. They need to go to a good home.

EDG
07-26-2016, 03:14 PM
The obscure and long discontinued calibers often bring a ridiculous premium. That would be .410 and 28 ga shotgun and rifle rounds like the .35 Rem.

edwardware
07-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Seems a pretty skinny collectors market. Most people interested enough to pay real money already own a press. . .

Sell while it's hot!

EDG
07-30-2016, 04:07 PM
The serious collectors that really appreciate these tools are those of us with a full set of equipment.

Seems a pretty skinny collectors market. Most people interested enough to pay real money already own a press. . .

Sell while it's hot!