PDA

View Full Version : How bad will I be Ostrisized....

retiredPO
07-24-2016, 09:47 AM
I own a 1862 Springfield, handed down thru the family, Once I determined it was very shootable, I cast, 540 gr. .58 cal. minis... and use real blackpowder,.... Now comes the rub.... I have got into poweder coating, for my pistols, and leveractions,... so I figured why not give it a try.... results were very good.... im pushing about 75 grs. of FFF, goex
and am getting more consistency at distance....
am I gonna be run off the reservation....
:bigsmyl2:

Tatume
07-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Good morning,

Thank you for your service.

If it works it works. Who cares if someone else is offended by your high tech approach to loading?

Take care, Tom

rodwha
07-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Of course you will!

Bah! Who cares what others think? If you get great results keep it up.

Quite frankly the Lee REALs my Lyman shoots well aren't traditional, and my WFN boolits for my cap n ball most certainly aren't. Function over form (and opinion)...

waksupi
07-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Are you lubing them? Wondering about keeping the fouling soft for follow up shots.

Earlwb
07-24-2016, 10:55 AM
I do not see anything wrong with powder coating the minie balls, etc. But maybe hot pink could be crossing the line though. :shock:
In the early days they used more primitive lubes, so going more modern ought to be a plus. One thing with the old lubes used, was that it helped to keep the residue more soft and thus easier to clean. so you might watch to see if you have any issues along that line or not. Using only a powder coated bullet would be interesting in how it leaves the bore for fouling and for how easy it cleans up afterwards.

bedbugbilly
07-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Well, let's put it this way . . . I'm sure my great-grandfather is turning in his grave! LOL

If it works for you . . . it's your gun . . . go and enjoy it!

I'm also curious though . . . are you still lubing the base of 'em to keep the fouling soft?

Squeeze
07-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Good morning,

Thank you for your service.

If it works it works. Who cares if someone else is offended by your high tech approach to loading?

Take care, Tom

X2 :bigsmyl2: Been wanting to try this myself, as I already powdercoat jig heads.

rancher1913
07-24-2016, 12:59 PM
i've been doing that as well just cause it looks cool in the boolit box. I still lube and size just to cover my bases.

Ithaca Gunner
07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Just a thought here, how does the powder coat respond to remelting the boolits? I try to recover my minies since they're so big, I imagine it floats to the surface and discarded with the rest of the junk? I can imagine a hollow shell of powder coat floating on top like a heavily oxidated boolit leaves?

mozeppa
07-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Just a thought here, how does the powder coat respond to remelting the boolits? I try to recover my minies since they're so big, I imagine it floats to the surface and discarded with the rest of the junk? I can imagine a hollow shell of powder coat floating on top like a heavily oxidated boolit leaves?

yup... all gone after the skim.

DerekP Houston
07-24-2016, 01:46 PM

I've melted down plenty of hitek and pc'd rounds that I goofed up. I tend to just go ahead and coat them all and find the rejects during sizing. It does float to the top and is easily skimmed off. It looks like black crud on top of mine, never caused an issue.

To the OP, do what you want with em! I'm a fan of you casting some big blue balls to shoot down range and make the others jealous ;). :kidding:

dondiego
07-24-2016, 02:02 PM
I won't ever talk to you again!

pietro
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I own a 1862 Springfield, handed down thru the family, Once I determined it was very shootable, I cast, 540 gr. .58 cal. minis... and use real blackpowder,.... Now comes the rub.... I have got into poweder coating, for my pistols, and leveractions,... so I figured why not give it a try.... results were very good.... im pushing about 75 grs. of FFF, goex

YMMV................... Just look at the folks who muzzle-load using a conversion barrel on a 12ga Remington 870 pumpgun.

It also depends upon whether you're powder coating the gun as I suspect - or the boolits............... (you weren't clear on that point)

retiredPO
07-25-2016, 07:44 AM
see.... I knew it would be all over.....

Geezer in NH
07-25-2016, 04:32 PM

Why bother??? more work and thought than needed but you have swallowed the PC cult spew.

59sharps
07-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Why bother??? more work and thought than needed but you have swallowed the PC cult spew.
Like to know too. Why bother.
MYBE Nothing better to to with w his time.

carbine
07-25-2016, 10:23 PM
What size groups are you getting, at what distance

Wayne R. Scott
07-26-2016, 12:45 AM
What!!! You are not using a sharp rock for ignition? Heresy!!!

Edward
07-26-2016, 05:13 AM
I have been PC ing MIni/Maxi / pistol /45/70 and run them thru my 450 sizer before and after and while they are there apply 5R5 simple lube . yes they shoot and because (I"m retired ) and I can :bigsmyl2:

jimb16
07-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Stringe'm up! We need a few new targets....

Good Cheer
07-27-2016, 05:45 AM
On that 540 grainer can you do white sides, titanium blue ogive and N-A-S-A down the sides?
Just kidding, just kidding!
I've not powder coated yet but I am being sorely tempted. And the large bore muzzleloaders are what I pondering. Light blue would be my choice for the .69 so when people asked why I could give a down pan answer about the deer not seeing it coming.
Looking forward to seeing your results if you would be so kind as to post.

rosewood
07-27-2016, 07:08 AM
You can bet if someone had developed powder coating in 1850, we wouldn't have ever lubed in the modern era. It is just plain cleaner and leading isn't an issue. Back in the day, they used guns for function, not nostalgia.

retiredPO
07-27-2016, 08:04 AM
On the grouping, I can keep it within a 4 inch circle at 75 yrds... Here we dont deer hunt, its more harvesting.... they are thick.
and 75 yrs. is the ave. shot. as far as rock ignition, I tried rubbing two hillary supporters together, but the burnie bros. seem to ignite quicker, and burn longer....I spit patch inbetween shots, and the clean up is about the same, no real noticable difference.
and to keep the govt, off my back, I use Blaze orange for hunting season,...

OverMax
07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
How bad will I be Ostrisized Uh-oh!!

> Another infarction there after you will be taken out to the wood shed.<[smilie=l:

edwardware
07-30-2016, 03:54 PM
IF it goes boom, hits POA, and doesn't damage the classic old piece, what's the problem? Just don't do to any reenactments.

marshall623
07-30-2016, 09:33 PM
If you go with a nice bright color , your buddies might see the boolits hit the target. I was spotting for a guy at an IHMSA match he was shooting a FA.357 mag. And I could see the bullet just before it hit the rams.

nagantguy
07-30-2016, 09:59 PM
I've posted several times in my ultimate muzzle loader accuracy thread my findings with full bore pcd boolits, lubed patches, unlubed it seems.to make no difference, 12 to 15 shots before fouling ever presents itself, and clean up is the same as ever, T/C foaming bore cleaner and a few patches and done, soak breech plug in same wipe off.
I will not mock you sir but we may need to start our own club to escape the simple minded heathens! LEE REALS in both weights and in several front stuffers and as good or better accuracy and longer shot strings, the differences may be small at inside 50 yards but out at 150, 175 and 200 the results in my testing have been clear. I also put a curle on the boolits by a quick rub between two bastard files, THANK YOU JOHNSON1942 for that tip!
I use Smokes black pc, the best in any color I've ever used!!!!! I use black because my hunting rounds, regardless of caliber are black, Carolina blue is for training, John deere green is match grade stuff for pistols. red is for experimental stuff and I have some bronze I use to loan out to shooting buddies and for swapping.

SSGOldfart
07-30-2016, 10:21 PM
I have been PC ing MIni/Maxi / pistol /45/70 and run them thru my 450 sizer before and after and while they are there apply 5R5 simple lube . yes they shoot and because (I"m retired ) and I can :bigsmyl2:
Now there's a good reason

rosewood
08-01-2016, 07:08 AM
If you go with the clear, most folks will probably not realize you are using PCd boolits.

Hadn't thought about color coding boolits for different purposes. That isn't a bad idea.