PDA

View Full Version : XD trigger and sear

bigted
07-23-2016, 10:04 PM
I've been watching videos on installing triggers and Sears and just wondered why not do a trigger job myself.

Could fix the over travel with a set screw thru the trigger and the very creepy sear let off by filing down the striker height so as to make the very creepy trigger/sear let off more crisp and more "target worthy".

bigted
07-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Guess I did not finish ...

Has anyone else had these thoughts and if so ... Have you acted on the idea of the do it yourself project?

DCM
07-24-2016, 09:31 PM
I did the striker thing on another manufacturers striker and it worked quite well. But I would recommend buying a spare first just in case.
If one makes it too short it can be very problematic.
I like the set screw idea, may do that too. But I am thinking in the frame maybe?

bigted
07-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Well I did the striker filing and boy is it ever nice. Small amount of creep but can live with it very easily.

Took .005 off first and it improved some but not what I was looking for still ... So I took another.003 off for a total of .008 Nick and after smoothing with a stone ... Walla ... Just what the doctor ordered.

Now for the over travel.

bigted
07-25-2016, 09:19 AM
That is a good idea putting the over travel set in the frame. I will have to see if there is enough meat there for threading a course thread set screw.

Pleased to report that the striker sear was way easier than i suspected it would be. After the fine cut file (was surprised how soft the striker sear was) I stoned everything that would be in contact with another piece of metal. Very smooth now and hardly any creep. May could have taken it down a bit more ... But I were fraid of getting it too thin and as you mentioned ... Unsafe. Just rite where it is tho.

scattershot
07-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I agree that the frame is the place for the trigger stop. Otherwise, you run into problems with the goofy safety blade on the trigger itself.

I have also seen a plastic pad of some sort glued to the inside of the triggerguard.

DCM
08-05-2016, 11:33 PM
I agree that the frame is the place for the trigger stop. Otherwise, you run into problems with the goofy safety blade on the trigger itself.

I have also seen a plastic pad of some sort glued to the inside of the triggerguard.

I like that Idea too. Could use feeler gauges or scrap to mock up how thick the pad should be maybe?