PDA

View Full Version : 4570 load question

Tenbender
07-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I don't know where to put this so here goes . If I seat a boolit against the lans in a case that has no resistance. By that I mean, I can seat the boolit by hand. Would I have a major problem in a single shot rifle ?
Inquiring minds want to know.
I have a .459 expander and a .459 boolit. No care resistance.

runfiverun
07-23-2016, 10:22 PM
that's common when shooting paper patched.
I'd try it for a couple, and prepare to turn down the expander a bit.

country gent
07-23-2016, 10:41 PM
How much bullet is in the case? What weight bullet? and what loading. Some of my bpcr bullets loads are soft seated BUT the powder wad stack holds them in place at the correct overal length. Shorter bullets loaded long may not have much in the case to grip. Polishing the expander down a .001 may help. Annealing the cases may make tension more consistant but probably wont affect the tension. Are you full length resizing or just partial?

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2016, 10:59 PM
I suspect you have a 50% chance of having a major problem.

doc1876
07-24-2016, 08:06 AM
This is called "bench seating". Using BP, the idea is to seat the booklet in the rifling, and the wad/ powder combo is kissing the bottom of the booklet. I don't know how it works with smokeless.

Wayne Smith
07-24-2016, 08:37 AM
My friend's Trapdoor shot best with the cases unsized, full case of FFFG, wad, and thumb seated boolit. Only enough crimp to keep it from falling out, the boolit spun easily in the case after loading. It loved that loading, for some reason.

Tenbender
07-24-2016, 12:38 PM
I was hoping someone would of tried this. Sense the boolit is seated against the lans it looks like that would be enough resistance.
The NOE expander only goes in the case about .550 . The boolit seats right against the unexpanded brass. Actually acts as a stop. Anyway I'm going to try them. If I get a hang fire or squib I will just go back to square one. I have ordered a .458 expander. That will give me some case tension . My boolits are soft and I want the least tension I can get away with.
Thanks everyone

popper
07-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Only if you don't mind cleaning powder out of your action when removing an unfired case.

dondiego
07-25-2016, 05:09 PM
My friend's Trapdoor shot best with the cases unsized, full case of FFFG, wad, and thumb seated boolit. Only enough crimp to keep it from falling out, the boolit spun easily in the case after loading. It loved that loading, for some reason.

Mr. Smith : Could you elaborate on the boolit used in your friend's trapdoor and also the wad material and thickness? I have 2 trapdoors and I am just about ready to start loading for them with 3F.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2016, 06:19 PM
It was the Lyman 457125 and the wad was veggie wad from a BACO sheet that I cut. I also used plastic tops from Chinese food containers and essentially found no difference at 100yds. That's all the range I had to shoot then. It is back with the owner in Wisconsin now.