PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster PID instalation?

AbitNutz
07-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Ok, so before I take it apart I'll ask...has anyone installed a Magma PID on a Master Caster? I ordered the PID from Magma expecting some competent directions or a video...the video on their site is just pathetic and the instructions don't exist. I realize that this is not rocket surgery but...

My M/C is only a year or so old so I expect to find a nut welded to the appropriate spot on the pot when I open it up. It was an option when I ordered the pot but I didn't think it was necessary so I cleverly waited till the price went up. Now I love PIDs and think my M/C deserves one.

Tazza
07-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Mine was one of the early ones i believe, i had to drill/tap a hole in mine for the thermocouple.

I'd like to think that yours is so new, it already had the nut welded, if not, you should be able to do so easily enough. Here is a link to the video they have on their site:

https://youtu.be/iM-8hx-cCoo

Hopefully it will go smoothly, they run great with a PID.

Mike W1
07-25-2016, 09:50 PM
First off I don't have a MasterCaster myself. Took a peek on their web site and didn't see ANY instructions other than that video posted above which I didn't think was worth a tinkers **** either. Didn't spot a SSR in the video but I must have missed that unless they're using one that's built into the PID!

I'd be raising a little cain with them for a wiring diagram of the PID. If you had that it'd be a simple job. Basically the PID needs to have power provided to it, the terminals for the TC, a signal lead to a SSR, and the other side of the SSR hooked as a switch to provide power out or shut it off as the TC signal dictates. Even the Chinese provide wiring diagrams.

Nick Quick
07-25-2016, 10:12 PM
I want a PID for my MC too but watching that lil' video Magma made for the PID installation discouraged me from buying one. I'm not a welder and I don't know any welder I would trust to drill or weld anything on my machine.
When I'll have a load going to AZ I'll take the pot with me and stop by Magma and ask them to do it by the book.

Tazza
07-25-2016, 10:29 PM
I wonder how well it would work if you simply tucked in the thermocouple at the base of the pot. Remove the pot from the casing and put the thermocouple without the nut (i ground mine off carefully) and sitting it on the metal part of the base and then put the insulating wool on it to hold it firm against the metal when the casing is put back on.

From there, wire it up to a PID as normal.