PDA

View Full Version : M 1 garand scout scope base

reloader4410
07-22-2016, 05:44 PM
I bought the one with the 2 clamps, hate to name names on a product I haven't used, so has any one had problems with the base moving around & losing zero? My smith said they won't stay tight & wouldn't mount it for me. any thoughts.

Jack Stanley
07-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I put an Ultimak on a Garand with and Aimpoint T-1 on that . Never had a problem with zero shifting .

I installed it myself according to the instructions that came with it without any problems .

Jack

Kestrel4k
07-27-2016, 04:09 PM
+1 on the Ultimak; mine is one of the finest, most precision-mfg firearms products that I have ever seen.

reloader4410
07-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Been thinking I would put a Nikon handgun scope that I have silver don't know how that would look, wonder why Simmons stopped making the gold metal scope. I have one on a 30-06 desert eagle & its held up fine. On the wire they don't have good things to say about there current Simmons hand gun scopes. Thanks, & Happy Trails TO ALL.

Kestrel4k
07-27-2016, 08:07 PM
My suggestion would be to take a close look at their eye relief measurements; many of the newer "handgun" scopes are designed to have a longer optimum eye relief ("LER") and will not be at their best at scout-scope ("IER") eye relief distances. Some of the older handgun scopes and of course the modern "scout scopes" are much better in this regard.

I own newer & older Leupold handgun scopes & "scout" scopes and have encountered this first-hand.

Edit: Also, the variable-power handgun/scout scopes are a mistake as well IMO, as the eye relief inevitably changes with the magnification setting - which can be an issue as the LOP of a rifle is not so easily changed. :)