PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield 45acp - First trip to the range

Bonz
07-22-2016, 12:33 PM
I received my new S&W Shield 45acp last Friday but right in the middle of my Chemo cycle. I finally brought it to the indoor range last Wednesday night and my wife and I put about 300 rounds thru it.

Have to say that I love it. Also have a 9mm Shield and the 9mm Performance Center Shield and love them also, used to have the S&W Shield .40 and hated it.

I'm very surprised that the Shield 45acp handles the recoil as well as it does, even in my weakened state from the Chemo had no problems at all controlling it.

Standard 9mm Shield on Top and new 45acp Shield on the bottom

Low Budget Shooter
07-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I didn't know there was a Shield .45 ---- cool!

kayala
07-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for report, Bonz, how does it compares to 40 in terms of ergonomics, slide rack force, controllability. I have 40 at the moment and first time I've shot it I was surprised by how controllable it is for such a small package.

Bonz
07-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks for report, Bonz, how does it compares to 40 in terms of ergonomics, slide rack force, controllability. I have 40 at the moment and first time I've shot it I was surprised by how controllable it is for such a small package.

Slide rack force on the 45acp is about the same or a tad less than the .40, if I remember correctly. As far as controllability, I would say the 45acp is a bit easier to control. I did not bring any carry ammo with me to try but I certainly will next time. The trigger pull on the 45 is better & smoother than the .40 also. The grip is a smidge longer (with the extended magazine) than the 9mm, so I get all my fingers a full grip, definitely changes dramatically with the flat bottom carry magazine.

kayala
07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks again, Bonz, I guess I'll start looking for a 45 version :)

bedbugbilly
07-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the write up Bonz. I love my 9mm Shield and one of the 45 Shields is on my "next to buy list". I was interested to hear what you thought of the recoil on the 45 Shield . . .sounds like it is manageable.

There doesn't appear to be much of a size difference so the 45 should carry just as easily as the 9mm/40 Shields. Were you satisfied with the accuracy? I would think that it would be an easy change over from the 9mm to the 45 as far as hold, etc.

Thanks again for the post and keep us up to date on your adventures with the new 45 Shield.

Hope things are going well with your treatments and you are doing O.K. You and your family are in our prayers.

Bonz
07-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the write up Bonz. I love my 9mm Shield and one of the 45 Shields is on my "next to buy list". I was interested to hear what you thought of the recoil on the 45 Shield . . .sounds like it is manageable.

There doesn't appear to be much of a size difference so the 45 should carry just as easily as the 9mm/40 Shields. Were you satisfied with the accuracy? I would think that it would be an easy change over from the 9mm to the 45 as far as hold, etc.

Thanks again for the post and keep us up to date on your adventures with the new 45 Shield.

Hope things are going well with your treatments and you are doing O.K. You and your family are in our prayers.

Here is a size comparison of the new .45 as compared to the 9mm and .40 S&W versions of the gun.

.45 ACP MODEL
9MM/.40 S&W MODELS

barrel length

3.3"

3.1"

overall length

6.45"

6.1"

frame width

0.99"

0.95"

height

4.88"

4.6"

weight (unloaded)

20.5 oz

19 oz

The above table shows the difference in size and weight. To me, while I was switching back and forth between the 9mm and 45acp, the 45acp felt just a little bigger and heavier than the 9mm but certainly smaller & lighter than my Colt Defender 45acp that I used to carry. In my opinion, the 45acp is just as accurate as the 9mm. The great thing about it being a 45acp, I could lessen the powder in my reloads if I wanted to but my normal 45acp loads felt great in it. I was shooting 200gr with 5.2gr of Bullseye & 200gr with 8.0gr of AA #5.

Appreciate your kind words and prayers. July 29 is my first PET scan since I began Chemo and it will determine if the Chemo is helping or not. I promised my wife that I wasn't going to buy anymore guns but she told me that I should have this one because I really wanted it. Doesn't get any better than that !

35remington
07-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Great write up and info. Want one myself.

Best wishes for your recovery. Thoughts and prayers.

shoot-n-lead
07-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Great report...I want one of these, also. I have the 9 and love it...so, I know I will love the .45.

Hope your recovery goes well and prayers from here, also.

fast ronnie
07-23-2016, 02:50 AM
My eyeballs are green!!!!!

rintinglen
07-23-2016, 01:58 PM
I hope you shoot that gun for 20 years. Good luck and bless you.

Don Purcell
07-23-2016, 11:52 PM
All the best Bonz. I sincerely hope you kick that disease to the curb and spit on it! Glad to hear about the .45 Shield as it's on my list also.

bluelund79
07-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the write up on the 45. Sounds like I need to look at it a little closer to compliment my Shield 9. Have you tried it in the same holsters that you use for your Shield 9? BTW, prayers sent for healing, and KCA! (Kick Cancer's Butt).

glockmeister
07-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Bonz, glad to get the report on the.45 Shield, thanks. I had a .40 Shield, frame cracked, S&W has had it for 3 months, since 04-27-16, they will replace the gun, just not built yet. I think I may call and see if they will ship me a .45 as the replacement, I can hope can't I. I hope Chemo goes well for you sir. I personally am a Cancer Survivor, three years in remission and feel great, as Don said, kick it to the curb. Take care, John.

glockmeister
07-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Well, after three months, S&W finally sent my replacement Shield. I went to my LGS and did not even open the box, just traded it for a Springfield Armory XDS in .45 ACP. I always have liked the .45 round and now I have it in an easily concealed , portable form. Will post a range report when I can, got a houseful of company now. Take care, John.[smilie=s:

Bonz
07-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Many thanks to all for the kind words & prayers. Had my PET scan yesterday and will find out on Monday if the Chemo is doing any good at all.

On a more favorable subject, there is nothing better than finding out that your custom holster maker got his hands on your new favorite gun, S&W Shield 45acp. Of course, I got the first holster made and it fit perfectly. But he did say that the texture on the grip was too extreme for his tastes but he loved it also.

hicard
07-30-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a 40 shield and am just wondering what it is you didn't like about it? Often wondered if I should've bought the 9mm instead. Hope you get good news on the PET scan.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I have a 40 and like it, I can't shoot it very well, but that's because I'm old and shaky. All the problems that I had with it were caused by me. The more I shoot it the smoother it gets.

The LGS had 2 Sheilds in stock in 45 cal yesterday. I think he wanted 400.00 plus tax each.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Bonz
07-30-2016, 02:19 PM
I have a 40 shield and am just wondering what it is you didn't like about it? Often wondered if I should've bought the 9mm instead. Hope you get good news on the PET scan.

My Shield .40 had an absolutely terrible trigger in it. I know that I could have had it customized and improved but I also didn't like the way it handled the recoil from carry ammo. The sole purpose of this was for concealed carry and it just didn't work for me. I thought that probably an all metal little .40 like the Shield would work better so I bought a Kahr MK40 Elite. The Kahr has a superior trigger and the added weight of the all metal pistol helps tremendously. But I am one of those weird guys that loads my own carry ammo which makes it cheaper to practice with on the range. So when I bring my Kahr .40 to the range, I shoot 100+ rounds of regular reloads and 50 rounds of carry ammo thru it. After shooting 150+ rounds, it breaks the skin on top of my hand between the thumb and index finger with the beaver tail of the pistol. And just so you know that I am not recoil sensitive, I shoot my 4" S&W 500 magnum almost every time that I go to the range, 25+ rounds.

The Shield 45acp feels completely different to me than the Shield .40. My wife and I put a lot of rounds thru it but just regular reloads, no carry ammo yet. On the next trip to the range, I will put at least 100 rounds of carry ammo thru it besides my regular reloads. My 45acp carry ammo is either 185gr XTP with 10.2gr of Accurate #5 or 230gr MontanaGold JHP with 6.7gr of Alliant BE-86.

Thanks for your 'best wishes' on the results of my PET scan

Bonz
07-30-2016, 02:25 PM
I have a 40 and like it, I can't shoot it very well, but that's because I'm old and shaky. All the problems that I had with it were caused by me. The more I shoot it the smoother it gets.

The LGS had 2 Sheilds in stock in 45 cal yesterday. I think he wanted 400.00 plus tax each.

Have a blessed day, Leon

Hello Leon. I could never get any consistency with the Shield .40 at all. I sometimes carry my all metal Sig Sauer P239 and have no problem with 10" groups at 15 yards when I bring it to the shooting range.

Thats a great price for the Shield 45acp. I bought the first one that I found on GunBroker for $525 because I have no idea on how much longer I am going to be able to shoot and wanted to enjoy it for as long as possible.

big bore 99
07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Looks like a great pistol.
Prayers sent for your recovery.