PDA

View Full Version : Ready Box

Drm50
07-21-2016, 11:39 PM
I get tired of running out to building for metal every time I get a few hours to drop
Boolits. I got hold of some wooden 152mm artillery shell cases, with hinged lids.
Today took one and emptied a lot of drywall buckets of ingots in it. Used plywood
spacers to separate my bullet lead from alloys. It's against wall in garage where I do
all my pouring. The nice thing is, wife will not ***** about drywall buckets in garage,
with lid closed makes neat storage.

rking22
07-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Well that's neat ! I like, way better than my "pile" ,, good job!

MrWolf
07-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Looks great. I always worry about the total weight being in such a small area, especially near the end of the poured concrete. No idea if my concern is justified or not.

WebMonkey
07-22-2016, 09:51 AM
My lazy boy feels the same way every time I sit down.

Nice and neat crate of lead.
:)

big bore 99
07-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Good thinking.

Whiterabbit
07-31-2016, 01:56 AM
So, my ingot molds are just angle iron capped. Makes a triangle of lead about 8 inches long. Just enough to dip into a lead pot, half melts in 5 seconds, then I sink the rest in.

I can fit a ton in home depot 2 gal buckets:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/United-Solutions-2-Gal-Pail-PN8029/206703688?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Cleaning%7c&gclid=CJD5geaBnc4CFYdrfgodfVwPyQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They fit just enough I can use the handle to carry, and I put a lid on them to keep dust out.

When I'm not casting I use them as weights over stickered wood acclimating to the shop :)

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 06:49 AM
lol most of mine is stacked in the garage with a few hundred lbs out on the patio near the casting bench. I move it as little as possible!

w5pv
07-31-2016, 06:55 AM
Mine are scattered around and under my casting table in any thing from 30 caliber ammo cans to 5 gallon buckets,good ideal thanks for the post

OS OK
07-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Looks great. I always worry about the total weight being in such a small area, especially near the end of the poured concrete. No idea if my concern is justified or not.

Don't forget that near the edge of concrete is usually a footer underneath of rebar and a concrete beam supporting the walls. I can't think of a better place to support the weight of a stack-o-lead. Footers are tied into the slab with rebar that comes up vertically and is turned horizontal and tied to the rebar in the slab.
Now if you speak of a slab without footers...yep...it might just make a big crack, especially in a corner.

Whiterabbit
07-31-2016, 10:52 AM
lol most of mine is stacked in the garage with a few hundred lbs out on the patio near the casting bench. I move it as little as possible!

Me too, till I got serious about stickerng wood!

Not only is a 2 gal pail of ingots perfect, but unprocessed SFRB's of lead is perfect too!

rr2241tx
08-04-2016, 02:16 PM
My stash is so inadequate! I'se sittin here wonderin' will a matchbox hold my clothes.