PDA

View Full Version : .35 Remington Light Loads

Skinnedknuckles
07-21-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to develop some light loads for my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington using coated cast bullets. I've used Loaddata.com and http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm as resources for load data.

I first tried 6.5 - 9.5 gr Unique using MBC's 158 gr coated SWC and they were fairly accurate and were near the same POA as LeveRevolution factory loads at 50 yds. I had a little lead shaving when loading because I hadn't received my Lyman M-Die expander when I did the reloading, so I didn't expect one hole accuracy. I also noticed a slight resistance closing the bolt which I later diagnosed as the shoulder of the SWC starting to engage the rifling as the Marlin has a very short leade.

Next, because the GMDR data indicated it was an accurate combination, I tried 10 and 11 gr of IMR4227 under MBC's 180 gr coated WFN. Actually, GMDR calls for H4227, as I realized after I bought the IMR4227. I called Hodgdon and was told that IMR4227 is not the same powder as H4227 but is it the replacement for H4227 and is designed to use exactly the same load data as H4227, so I loaded up some test cartridges.

I discovered that the taper on the WFN bullet also contacts the rifling (about 1/8") but I did some research and decided I did not need to be concerned. I finally got to the range today and tried them out.

Interesting, the POI was about 6" lower than the POI of factory ammo, but the group size was pretty impressive (about 2"). I did notice that there was some unburned powder in the cases (the IMR4227 looks like short rods rather than the flattened powder I'm use to). After touching off a few factory loads, it felt like I had switched to .38 Specials when I shot the light loads. I didn't take the chrony today so I don't have an velocity data yet.

I'm going to order some of MBC's 180 gr coated RNFP and maybe their 158 gr coated RN (hopefully they can supply it in 18 BHN instead of the standard 12 BHN).

I also want to try Hodgdon's recommended reduced loading using H4895 using coated bullets. I would like a light load that shot near factory load POA at 50 yds so I don't have to keep playing with the scope.

I'm offering my experience in the hope that others with more experience will share their favorite bullets and powders for reduced loads.

Travelor
07-22-2016, 06:58 AM
In the past I loaded a number of 35 Rem cases with Lyman 357156HP bullets with light loads. Re results were less than stellar, BUT the shoulders on the cases set back causing excessive headspace and a high percentage of failures to fire.

Just a heads up to keep the pressures up to avoid my mistakes.

RU shooter
07-22-2016, 09:53 PM
The Lee 158 gr RF and 6 grs of bullseye or 231 works well for me . Another good lower speed load is the Lyman 204 gr 358315 or the saeco 351 200gr plain base and 12 gr of 2400 is a consistently accurate load for my rifle

MostlyLeverGuns
07-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Depending on the powder and charge weight, a large pistol primer MIGHT reduce case shoulder movement/ headspace shortening due to softer/thinner primer cup. A plus - Sometimes accuracy improves.
Minus - Sometimes hang fires occur.

7br
07-23-2016, 10:28 PM
I use 14gr of sr4759 with a lyman 356402 that has been powder coated. Generally good for about 1 1/2inches at 50 with iron sights. Kids love the load