PDA

View Full Version : New uberti 1858

DrDucati
07-21-2016, 05:57 AM
Received new stainless 1858 from Taylor's

Has a tiny pit in center of left recoil shield.
Has two dings on the corner of front face of cylinder, one very small, the other less noticeable. This definitely was dropped or knocked at some point. Produced a tiny raised bump on the cylinder face. Haven't fired it, but does not appear to affect function.
There was the appearance of BP fouling in the barrel, not much, like a one or two firings amount, which cleans up.

What is a reasonable reaction? Is it "unrealistic to expect perfect finish and a flawless cylinder; it's an Uberti, be happy", or would you be asking for a replacement?

Hickory
07-21-2016, 06:18 AM
There are not many things in life that are "perfect".
Shoot it and have fun, it may become one of you best shooters.

Teddy (punchie)
07-21-2016, 07:11 AM
New ?? Or was it damaged ? What you paid for. New does mean with damaged, unless you bought with the understanding it had issues.

dromia
07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Sounds like proof house have been their usual careful selves.

Proof houses never clean out their fouling

There shouldn't be any dings at all on it though, if new and paid retail price then I would return it.

Sasquatch-1
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
It's new! Contact Taylors with pictures of the damage. If they want it returned make sure they pay both ways. Their fault their problem. If they are willing to refund a percentage of the cost, you have to decide what is adequate.

Driver man
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
I have two Uberti stainless 1858 purchased new and unfired.They are flawless and no signs of having been fired.I havent fired them either

johnson1942
07-21-2016, 09:04 AM
i have bought 3 open top uberti clone colts. i love them, replaced the grips on all of them or in the process of doing it. two had loose screws on the loading gate, had to take apart and tighten. one had a small internal spring that was loose inside it so i had to take apart to put in. they all shoot great and work good now. very very poor inspection process at uberti, good product, but poor quality going out the door inspection. its a good thing i know how to fix things like that with out dinging them up. i think some of the screws are of too soft a metal also. doesnt bother me also as i know how to make them better than new. but what about the guy who cant do what i do. uberti is the best clones out their, if their was better i would go to them. i would send it back, taylor has been easy to work with for me.

Fly
07-21-2016, 11:36 AM
I think it's your call. If it bugs you & it,s worth the trouble of sending it back then do it. I ,m
a guy that if it is not that bad I would just enjoy the pistol. But everyone is different in that respect.

I do know this threw wear & tear it will have eventually those things but that's just me.

Fly

Omnivore
07-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Your description makes the imperfections seem extremely minor. If it were a gun that cost $2,000.00 or more, with no adornments or bobbles to run up the cost, then I'd expect it to be perfect in fit, function and finish, and in that case I'd assume that the maker would want to know about any dings or overlooked flaws.

If the flaws you describe we're the ONLY things separating that gun from absolute perfection then you've already got one of the best ever Ubertis. Best you hang on to it.

Don't return the gun out of hurt pride. You'll never get a perfect one for that price. My experience has been, with several Ubertis and Peittas, that the flaws you can see on the outside are just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not knocking them. They do amazingly well for how cheap these guns are, so just keep that in mind.

DrDucati
07-21-2016, 05:07 PM
I appreciate those inputs. I am a perfectionist and helps to get the perspective from others. Thing is, if I let the little imperfections bother me, I could return it and get one that is visually perfect and has functional issues. Will probably just hang onto it and see how it fires. As I get older, my eyes will get worse, it will look perfect.