PDA

View Full Version : Fig Preserves

Ole Joe Clarke
07-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Anybody make fig preserves anymore? I gotta check the fig tree this morning and beat the birds to the ripe ones. Fig preserves on a fresh home biscuit are great.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

762 shooter
07-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Yes sir.
The practice is alive and well here in SC.
Some like them whole in the jar. I moosh mine up before canning.
Home made hot bisquit dripping with butter and topped with fig preserves is heavenly.

DerekP Houston
07-20-2016, 08:08 AM
oh man, that gives me nostalgia for my granny. She had a giant fig tree in the back and always made us preserves. My little fig tree has yet to put out any fruit but it was only a cutting 2 years ago so I'll give it time. buttered biscuits and preserves are the best.

gwpercle
07-20-2016, 12:39 PM
I did....until all three of my 7 year old fig trees died.

The dept. of public works replaced our sewer lines , mandated by the federal govmt, the work messed up our lots drainage , the fig trees all died because they the water had no place to go, and would just stand in the area where the trees were planted. Clay soil didn't help either . They started dying before I realized what the problem was .
Darn feds....killed my fig trees....LSU Purple variety and just starting to mature and bear a decent crop , they had just started tasting realy good too !
Gary

standles
07-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Mmmmmm

We also you to make Fig-n-Strawberry Preserves. Extra Special Good.

toallmy
07-20-2016, 04:23 PM
I miss fig preserves with home made fried bread . Slow simmered with sugar until thick and gooey .

Hogtamer
07-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Part of my summer "job" as a sprout was sitting under our big old fig tree with a bb gun! I use about a cup of sugar to a quart of fruit (stemmed) and a little fresh lemon zest (grated rind, just the yellow!). Cook 'em over medium heat till they come up to a good bubble, then turn 'em down to a simmer for a couple of hours. Stir off the bottom of your thick pot occasionally. I never shot cat birds or jo-ris, but those big old jays took a whippin!

Blackwater
07-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Wow! What a great post! Reminds me of my eldest aunt, who had a fig tree in her yard and made them every year. I remember spending a night with her once (a very rare thing) and in the morning, she fixed one of the most marvelous breakfasts I'll ever sit down to! The "desert" was fresh baked biscuits (heavenly!) with a little butter and a big dose of her home-made fig preserves! Now THAT is the way to start the day! It's too much sugar and carbs for me now, but I can still get a vicarious thrill just thinking about them. Thanks!

gwpercle
07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I miss fig preserves with home made fried bread . Slow simmered with sugar until thick and gooey .
LIKE !
If we have a like button...I can't find it.
My grandmother made fried bread...hot fried bread with butter and her fig preserves.....what a memory you just brought back. Me and my daddy , sitting at the kitchen table eating hot fry bread and sweet syrupy figs until we were fixing to pop !
I asked her about the fried bread and she told me it was nothing but biscuit dough , rolled out and cut into rectangles with a slit in the center, fried in hot veg. oil. Mine didn't taste near as wonderful as her's did....I think she had a lot of love in her recipe .
Gary

Ole Joe Clarke
08-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Well, the Wife and I finished up the last of the fig preserves yesterday. I know she put up between 25 and 30 pints of the sweets. Gonna let the birds have the few that is left. Not bad for a single tree that is about 8 ft tall.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

DerekP Houston
08-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Well, the Wife and I finished up the last of the fig preserves yesterday. I know she put up between 25 and 30 pints of the sweets. Gonna let the birds have the few that is left. Not bad for a single tree that is about 8 ft tall.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Sounds delicious! Ya know if there are some extras you could send em my way ;), but I know there won't be any!

KenH
08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
We made a few pints of fig preserves this year. I'd like to put up more, but fig trees didn't make enough. I LOVE fig preserves!