PDA

View Full Version : The "small blessings?"

Blackwater
07-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Does anyone else look back at our earlier days, and the shoestring budgets we had to work with, and find those were some of our happiest days? It often strikes me that it's the really simple things in life, like striving, having faith that there's "better times" ahead, that really have given us our greatest happiness and richest blessings. Self-denial was common back then. I had much fewer "things" with which to pursue my hunting and fishing, for instance, but I did SO much more of it in spite of that! I got out there every chance I had, and I arranged to have plenty of time "out there." Now, I have many guns, much ammo, many rods and reels and boats that are equipped MUCH better than what I used to find so much pleasure from way back when.

I've come to see that the less we often have, the more we appreciate and use it, and that's what truly brings us our greatest degree of "happiness" and satisfaction in life. Now, as we are in the later stages of our lives, I look back and realize it was always the simplest things that really made me relish things so much more than I tend to now.

I've also been restricted in what I can eat, and now, even that has become more precious and meaningful and significant to me. Again, it seems, the less we have, the more we appreciate and use it. Isn't it funny how that works, and how we seem to grow to take so much for granted, when we know good and well it's NOT granted us forever?

Boaz's posts thanking God for today, have really touched me. Had a little episode a while back that almost made me NOT be here, and how dumb would a man have to be to NOT realize more fully just how tenuous and limited our lives here really are. We tend to take so much for granted, but in a way, we kind'a have to, in order to keep our limited ability to focus on what we need to keep it on in order to wrestle whatever alligators seem to be upon us at any given time.

But it means SO much to just stop occasionally, and thank God for all the "little things" that make our lives SO much richer. Sunrises and sunsets are free, but how does anyone see them and not be moved by them? When I was a kid, Dad used to like to just take a drive "in the country" to look at the crops, and just appreciate what all we lived among, and the people he thought so highly of. I liked to watch for deer, rabbits, an occasional fox, coon or possum, and even big bullfrogs in the ditches. The world was full of wonder instead of "problems." It still is, but it's our attitudes that have changed.

And this place and all the contributors here surely instill that in me even further. Thanks to all who keep my focus where it ought to be, rightfully. And keep my attitude uplifted and more where it ought to be. Thanks, guys. You all matter.

claude
07-20-2016, 04:26 AM
Matthew 18:2-4King James Version (KJV)

2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

My observation has been that it is hard to retain this innocency as the things of the world gather around us, and I'm reminded of the example of Jeshurun in Deut. 32:15;

Deuteronomy 32:15 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+32:15&version=KJV)
But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

I can only speak for myself, but I can see that when many are blessed with abundance, they begin to overlook where the abundance originated. Some mistakenly get the notion that they provided all these things, and begin to let their discipline slip, and allow Yah to fade into the background. It is sad.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
07-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Blackwater,

Like only having 10 total Muskrat traps to support the 410 shells for bunnies,a fishing rod with a splint [smilie=l:,wadders patched with old inner tube's,shooting mittens made from old wool socks, No Sir, can't seem to recall any of that.
And a huge second on Boaz's Thank You For Today post's.

Forgot collecting Pop bottles along side the road to buy 22 shorts.

DerekP Houston
07-20-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't really miss it all that much, but I was better at budgeting my allocated funds. Working on spending more on others instead of my self now ;). I'll just start with my thanks for a good night sleep and I made it to the gym this morning.

I have gotten quite lazy over the past few years and regret it.

EMC45
07-20-2016, 09:08 AM
The wife and I have brought this up to our kids quite often. There have been times of lean and times of plenty and we have given glory to God through it all. I know many times I was rolling pennies for gas money. No joke. I recall one very lean time that I was cleaning out my truck under the seat and I found about 6-7 bucks worth of change under the seat! Also a nice sized handful of .22LR ammo. I was thrilled.

I can relate to being happy in the lean times. It is a greater reliance on Providence to see you through those times. That is what always tugs at my heart when I recall all those times. Yeah there are more guns and more reloading gear in the room, but when I was running on pocket change and a shoestring are the times I look back on and smile. I have sold tons of brass and reloading gear to make ends meet and it was always right on time when needed.

Pine Baron
07-20-2016, 09:14 AM
BW, It's so important that we not overlook those "little" things (blessings) for fear of missing the "big" things. I am always excited to spend time with the children in my life, as they have a way of observing everything, especially those things we , adults, take for granted. God is all around us, everyday, everywhere. We just need to stop, clear your mind and look.

Blackwater
07-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Amen, guys to all you've said. Imagine a young girl out on the prarie, trying to scratch out a meager living from the soil and survive the many dangers all around them. Making a raggedy little doll from a small scrap of dirty cloth would be a real boon to her! And she'd love it almost like it was real! Anything is SOMETHING compared to little to nothing! We forget how richly blessed even the people in the ghettos are here in the US.

The current attitude of "give people more money and they'll stop committing crimes" just isn't working, and it's obvious. Only changes in man's hearts can make things better. We forget to be thankful for so many, many of the "little things," and take them so much for granted. Here, in the richest nation that has ever existed, where even our poor have plenty to eat, a roof over their heads and clothing on their backs, it's so very, very common for them to think and say "I've got NOTHING!" I think what they mean is they have nothing inside them that is satisfying. And that's why simple appreciation for all the little things is so dear to my heart. It took very nearly dying for me to fully realize that, and even with that, I always feel I need to do better at it.

G. K. Chesterton said he though thankfulness was the highest form of human thought. I think he had something there. In the hustle and bustle of our day and time, though, it's awfully easy to fall into the "madding crowd," and forget these things. We have a Bible and a Savior to keep our keel straight, though. How humbling it is to be human and so fallible and impressionable by all that goes on around us! But it's a choice, even so, and one we make every day, in ways great and small. It's good to see so many who understand. Sure keeps us humble! But I think it was designed from the first to do that.

roysha
07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
I hope this is acceptable to this forum, Merle Haggard, the great country singer, made a record many years ago titled "Someday we'll look back". It totally covers all the things posted above. In fact, often during morning chores I find myself singing this, such as my singing goes.

I believe the copyright has expired so I have copied and pasted the lyrics; if the MOD feels this is an issue please delete this post, or ask me to.
Someday when our dream world finds us
And these hard times are gone
We'll laugh and count our blessings
In a mansion all our own
If we both pull together, tomorrow's sure to come
Someday we'll look back and say it was fun

We live on love and pennies
And the daydream out of sight
And I'm amazed the way you smile
When things don't turn out right
We climb each hill together, each step one-by-one
And someday we'll look back and say it was fun

Someday when our dream world finds us
And these hard times are gone
We'll laugh and count our blessings
In a mansion all our own
If we both pull together, tomorrow's sure to come

.22-10-45
07-20-2016, 03:04 PM
When we were first married, money was extreemly tight...but the place we bought had lots of mature apple, pear, and plum trees. I literally lived off that fruit for the first years of our marriage...every year we had a bumper crop of apples..and I would go thru each bushel, picking out the brusied and cut ones & take them to work..it was years before I could bring myself to eat an unblemished apple! I was constantly pruning and spraying those trees. Early one spring I was pruning a large apple tree, I was home alone. Had batttery powerd radio blasting out Christian music to keep me company, Ground was just softening up from winter freeze & I was using plywood platforms under ladder legs to prevent sinking into ground..last branch way up high..thought I could get away without using plywood..I am standing on very top of ladder..(a no-no!) and I knew better..reaching way out..when I feel right front ladder leg start to sink! I threw cutters so as not to land on them..and as I was falling..it seemed time was slowing down...and here's the weird part..I could actually feel the flutter of feathers on both shoulders! Seemed to take forever to hit ground..and when I did..shoulder came up and slammed into jaw, I blacked out for a few seconds. When I awoke, I carefully felt and moved..but had no injury except a slight headache. They say "real" Angles don't have wings...But I sure felt feathers!

Boaz
07-20-2016, 07:43 PM
The purpose of the 'Thank you for today' threads is self-explanatory . We are born in a state of dying . We will die for our sins , he promised death and he will fulfil that promise. We are forewarned there is no way of getting out of this world except literally by him . Our merciful GOD offers us love , salvation and eternal life simply for believing in him . You will die , the choice is yours to accept his offer . He made it plain and unbelievably simple .

Two years ago I was waiting to wake up dead every night I went to bed . Medically I was a wreck waiting to happen . I was not right with GOD through my own pride and thinking I had 'special' privilege . GOD did not strike me down ...I did . He set me adrift to myself , I was separated from him by my own count . My independence and pride nearly killed me . Believe me when I say we only live with his help , to yourself you are nothing .

I enjoy every day I get now . We keep thinking we are in control but pride , vanity , self worth are pitfalls . He will judge , he knows you , he knew you before you were born . You may be tested but you will NEVER be tempted . We believe in a merciful GOD .

All here are my brothers in Jesus Christ and I love you .

William Yanda
07-20-2016, 08:37 PM
I just looked at my Social Security earnings summary. 40 years ago we lived and started our family on $4,5 and 6K per year. Of course gas wasn't $2.50 a gallon, milk $3 a gallon etc.
Bill

Boaz
07-20-2016, 09:02 PM
The purpose of the 'Thank you for today' threads is self-explanatory . We are born in a state of dying . We will die for our sins , he promised death and he will fulfil that promise. We are forewarned there is no way of getting out of this world except literally by him . Our merciful GOD offers us love , salvation and eternal life simply for believing in him . You will die , the choice is yours to accept his offer . He made it plain and unbelievably simple .

Two years ago I was waiting to wake up dead every night I went to bed . Medically I was a wreck waiting to happen . I was not right with GOD through my own pride and thinking I had 'special' privilege . GOD did not strike me down ...I did . He set me adrift to myself , I was separated from him by my own count . My independence and pride nearly killed me . Believe me when I say we only live with his help , to yourself you are nothing .

I enjoy every day I get now . We keep thinking we are in control but pride , vanity , self worth are pitfalls . He will judge , he knows you , he knew you before you were born . You may be tested but you will NEVER be tempted . We believe in a merciful GOD .

All here are my brothers in Jesus Christ and I love you .

My last post was my truth . The small blessing are there but they are not small . Seeing your children grow up . Watching the sunset . Walking out in the morning in spring to smell the new life in the air . Coming home and seeing the ones you love , sharing with them . Waking up with making plans for the day . Holding a child , praying , seeing the ones suffering you might help , petting your dog when you come home and they are glad to see you . Witnessing a baptism , seeing the children in your family grow up , watching another do a good thing ...............WHERE THE HECK is the end of small blessings if you look ? We lean to the negative , think in the positive .

DerekP Houston
07-20-2016, 09:11 PM
My last post was my truth . The small blessing are there but they are not small . Seeing your children grow up . Watching the sunset . Walking out in the morning in spring to smell the new life in the air . Coming home and seeing the ones you love , sharing with them . Waking up with making plans for the day . Holding a child , praying , seeing the ones suffering you might help , petting your dog when you come home and they are glad to see you . Witnessing a baptism , seeing the children in your family grow up , watching another do a good thing ...............WHERE THE HECK is the end of small blessings if you look ? We lean to the negative , think in the positive .

Thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna go for a walk and play with my son instead of sitting here stewing.

Pine Baron
07-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Oh my, Boaz, We walk the same path, my brother. God is indeed good.

Blackwater
07-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the wonderful testimonies and comments. Each one of them hits home, here. We chase our tails so much in life, seeking fame or fortune, when all we really want and need just falls into our laps, practically. We have our plans. Christ has His. His usually win out, if we're lucky! I'll always be awed by how that works.

Preacher Jim
07-21-2016, 04:40 PM
God is good. All the time
Amen

WRideout
07-21-2016, 08:46 PM
In 2006 I was employed by a consulting engineering company, and made decent money. I lost my job, and had to find something to do. I had just finished my Master of Divinity, and was astonished to find a job at the same social service agency where my wife still works. My earnings were cut in half, but we managed. In a short time we learned how to live on our reduced budget, and last year we bought a house, which was a goal of mine. In essence, I have lost nothing. Once, when my wife was complaining about not having enough money I told her "Betsy, compared to everyone else in the world, we are wealthy! We have two cars, and we can even afford to heat our house when we aren't there." It's all about perspective.
Wayne

Wayne

Boaz
07-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Wayne you understand . He says he will provide and he does .

Pine Baron
07-22-2016, 08:40 AM
The glass is always full. half water/half air. It's all in the perception.

Blackwater
07-22-2016, 12:38 PM

Amen, Boaz! So true! We want things, and all the while, God gives us what we really NEED if we'll just recognize and accept His wonderful blessings. Truly, He's SO much wiser than we tend to be! And the blessings sometimes DO come to an end, and we lose the ones and the things and situations we enjoy so much, but He never promised us an easy path. Only one that was worth every effort we can give it. And He promised us it'd all work out like it should in the end, too, and there can be no assurance greater than that. And it's all due to His love for us, even sometimes when we're not at our most lovable. It's a paradox that lies at the heart of all Christianity, and it's SO hard for us to learn it. As Shakespeare said, "What fools these mortals be!" But we get occasional epiphanies that transform our wants into something more akin to His will for us. How could a God be any more generous and loving than this? You guys are the greatest inspiration any of us could ever want. Thanks. It matters.