PDA

View Full Version : Heavier boolits in 9mm S&W Model 39-2

Leadmelter
07-19-2016, 08:36 PM
I ordered a Accurate mold in 140 gr range. I don't plan on hot rodding the boolits. I normal use the Lyman 121gr with good success. Should I look for a stronger recoil spring?
Leadmelter
MI

ReloaderFred
07-19-2016, 10:07 PM
If your current spring is in good condition, it will work just fine. When our dept. carried the Model 59 (same basic design, by the same designer) at various times we used from 100 gr. to 147 gr. ammunition and never had to change recoil springs.

I also have a Model 39-2, along with a Model 639, and shoot all kinds of different bullet weights in them. I've never changed the recoil springs from the ones that came with them from the factory and they eat everything I've ever fed them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Leadmelter
07-21-2016, 12:38 AM
Thank you!
Leadmelter
MI

rintinglen
07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
If your current spring is in good condition, it will work just fine. When our dept. carried the Model 59 (same basic design, by the same designer) at various times we used from 100 gr. to 147 gr. ammunition and never had to change recoil springs.

I also have a Model 39-2, along with a Model 639, and shoot all kinds of different bullet weights in them. I've never changed the recoil springs from the ones that came with them from the factory and they eat everything I've ever fed them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

What he said.
I would add that the model 39-2 is one of my favorite all time hand-guns. It fits my hand like nothing else.

Leadmelter
07-22-2016, 12:36 AM
I went to Wollfe springs and S&W put 18lbs spring in those guns.
Leadmelter
MI

Thin Man
07-25-2016, 06:00 AM
I have been using the Lyman 358480 mold to make 133+ grain weight boolits for the 9mm. This boolit likes to be seated in the case with about 1/2 or less of the forward driving band outside the case mouth, then tested for plunk and also feeding. Once you have your COL established, enjoy. The down side of this suggestion is that these molds are not commonly found and can get pricey when they do appear. Most of the pistols I have used to fire these love them and create some of the tightest groups ever made with that pistol. I tend to push them at warm but not hot pressures as several of the test pistols are smaller "concealment" size. Simply stated, I prefer having a flat nose projectile rather than round in a carry cartridge.

Thin Man

6bg6ga
07-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Just wanted to say that I have loaded 38/357 160gr rn bullets after being sized for my 9mm. I'm using 3.2gr of unique and its a nice accurate load. My Glock and S&W enjoy this load.