PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

Boaz
07-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Does it bother or trouble anyone when scripture is posted using a different translation bible than what you prefer ? I use a KJV most of the time posting but will occasional use a newer translation . I have no problem with other bibles translated to modern English . I was raised since I can remember being taught to read the old King James version . I remember my Sunday school teachers and parents teaching me the difference between thee and thou , thine etc .
Do you have a problem understanding the old English ? I could more than understand if you do . Late arriving Christians have trouble many times , in the short sense ... it is different but seemingly to me not hard to figure out . But heck I just got through saying I was raised on a KJV .

My point is that I don't want to post scripture that is confusing or too hard to glean the meaning of . I AM NOT TRYING TO DISCUSS THEOLEGY ! I never will , My intention is unification of faith and the common of belief of our savior Jesus Christ .

In short , what is you favored translation of GOD's holy word ?

Preacher Jim
07-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Charlie I use new American Standard kjv or anyone can follow me

buckwheatpaul
07-19-2016, 07:46 PM
It makes no difference to me....looking at all the different versions they are fairly close and if I have any question I can refer to my BIBLE library....

bangerjim
07-19-2016, 07:47 PM
KJV is what I was brought up on and that is ALL I use. Our church uses some modern thing I hate!!!!!

There are some things that just do not need modernized.

DLCTEX
07-19-2016, 07:53 PM
I only use the original Greek and Hebrew. All others are of the devil. :kidding::kidding:, I will use several to glean all the understanding I can get. I do have a Strongs concordance to aid me. I do believe that all scripture in both testaments point to Jesus. Some I have thought did not proved to do so as I dug deeper.

Ithaca Gunner
07-19-2016, 08:05 PM
I prefer the KJV, but no offense taken with newer translations.

Boaz
07-19-2016, 08:09 PM
I'm an Independent Baptist , all Independent Baptist churches are a bit different , heck they are all 'Independent' , lol . The church we attend pushes the KJV but mainly because it's traditional .My 17 year old daughter prefers a NKJV teen study bible , I have no problem with it . I want her to feel comfortable and understand the meaning of the scripture . You are accorded that in our church ............The best bible is one you will read and understand in my opinion .

Preacher Jim
07-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Charlie none of them do you any good if you don't open and read it.

claude
07-19-2016, 09:53 PM
I use the Authorized King James almost exclusively, it and the Strong's concordance are keyed to one another and I am able to go into the original languages. Personally, I don't much care for the newer versions, but I sometimes use them to help round out concepts.

If someone chooses to quote from a different version I quite often look it up in the KJV because it is my go to bible.

GhostHawk
07-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Bothers me not at all. If I am really curious I will google it and see how the translation changes in various versions.

My current bible is an Ebook King James Red Letter searchable.
A right mouse click gets me to table of contents, pick my book and poofpiff I am there.

Only bad part is I do not remember where I got it.

The good news is they are not hard to find, google is your friend.

fast ronnie
07-19-2016, 10:12 PM
I, personally use the kjv. Just my personal preference, as Boaz mentioned, long time using it. I have found some things that were not translated correctly in some versions, but for the most part, most are good. As was said, "it doesn't make any difference if you don't read it. Reading is not enough, though. One must also be a doer of the Word, and not hearers only. I have heard a lot of things "quoted" that I have never been able to find in scripture.
As David said, "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee."

aspangler
07-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Not to start an arguemnet or anything but the KJV is written on a 6th grade level. Most of the newer "translations" are written on a high school or even a college level. Just sayin' which one should be easier to understand? I use the KJV 99.9% of the time in my ministery but do have one or two others to compare with.

Ithaca Gunner
07-19-2016, 10:34 PM
A few years ago I bought a 1611,(400th anniversary edition). That's a bit fun and different. The u and v are swapped, as is f and s. It's a reading challenge during and after for short periods. Read a 1611 edition until you get used to it, then try reading something modern. It takes a few moments...

Blackwater
07-19-2016, 10:41 PM
I too stick with the KJV. Just been reading it long enough I just won't fix what isn't broken. But others find the other versions useful, and more power to them. I don't think Christ cares HOW we learn about Him, just WHETHER. Some find KJV harder to understand, and nowadays, it's easier to just get another version that's easier to understand. Might not be the best solution long term, but ... at least they're reading The Book. It's all an interpretation, if we're speaking in English, which didn't even exist at the time the Bible was written, and our modern English is a much more nuanced language than the original Greek, Hebrew and some Roman, I think. Our language is much more specific, and that's where disagreements on interpretations and translations usually come from. Add in that humble people and pure hearts are harder to find these days than possibly ever, at least in the population at large, and it's almost a wonder that we CAN comprehend ANY of it! But the secret is in the continued and diligent search, I think. I suspect our human minds aren't big enough to comprehend even 10% of what our God truly is. I'm just glad I have the understanding I believe I have of Him, and I keep seeking more. I think it's what He intended for us. The curious thing about it all is, the more you know Christ, the more you WANT to know. Sure is humbling!

roysha
07-19-2016, 10:47 PM
KJV is what I was brought up on and that is ALL I use. Our church uses some modern thing I hate!!!!!

There are some things that just do not need modernized.

AMEN Brother, AMEN!!

For example, some version has the word "happy" instead of "blessed" in the Beatitudes. Nonsense, the words do not interchange. I won't change anyone's mind and I'm not going to get into any kind of fuss over it, but for me there is only one version, the KJV.

Bzcraig
07-19-2016, 11:13 PM
I use the NKJV and I do struggle with the KJV. I was not raised in the church, that transformation didn't occur until I was 32. I can understand the Elizabethan English but it takes longer to comprehend. As long as the address is cited, anyone can look it up in their favorite translation. Heck I will sometimes look at the Message if I'm doing some indepth study.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Boaz,
Doesn't bother me at all...although when I see someone use the "Good News" Bible version, I tend to cringe. I grew up LCA Lutheran and was given an American Standard for Confirmation. In my Late teens I switched churches to Missouri synod and bought a parallel bible for study class (it has four versions side by side) and really liked the NIV when I could compare it to the other versions in that parallel bible.
Then I moved to another town, started going to a Baptist church and studied there with KJV and the Strong's concordance as claude points out in the quote below...and that's still my preferred.

I use the Authorized King James almost exclusively, it and the Strong's concordance are keyed to one another and I am able to go into the original languages. Personally, I don't much care for the newer versions, but I sometimes use them to help round out concepts.

If someone chooses to quote from a different version I quite often look it up in the KJV because it is my go to bible.

retread
07-19-2016, 11:45 PM
At home for my daily reading I use the KJV. I prefer it, however when I am at Bible Study I take my NIV. The reason is it is easier for me to read out loud when with others. I tend to stumble when reading out loud with the KJV. Both are good.

SSGOldfart
07-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I just stay with the KJV myself but I can see where others might want the new King James version of the bible. That's the oddest thing I ever came across was the fact,,when I was hospitalized for 16 weeks I can't get a KJV of the bible at a major VA Hospital.,a friend brought me one from 200 miles away. I couldn't believe it No KJV of the bible in our nation's largest VA Hospital.???

Bzcraig
07-20-2016, 01:06 AM
I use the NKJV and I do struggle with the KJV. I was not raised in the church, that transformation didn't occur until I was 32. I can understand the Elizabethan English but it takes longer to comprehend. As long as the address is cited, anyone can look it up in their favorite translation. Heck I will sometimes look at the Message if I'm doing some indepth study.

Rustyleee
07-20-2016, 03:01 AM
I use the KJV. I've been using it for 49 years and it's never let me down.

USMC87
07-20-2016, 08:22 AM
I use a Hebrew, Greek KJV with lexical aids most all the time but I have NKJ and several other translations in the bookshelf.

DerekP Houston
07-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Erm, guilty of still reading KJV and still trying to work my way through it all. Much easier to read my other books so I just try to make slow progress.

Pine Baron
07-20-2016, 08:32 AM
I've been reading my KJV since 1960. I have so many notes, comments ,dogears, etc. that I couldn't live without it. I'll read any version, but always check back to my original KJV for the definitive answer.

bangerjim
07-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Like said above.................it's not really which one you use......it's how OFTEN you use (and follow) it!!!!!!!