PDA

View Full Version : Roll of lead?

Drm50
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I just had a guy who buys jigs off me, bring in a "roll" of lead about 1/16" thick x 2'
wide. The lead has heavy brown paper rolled up with it. The lead is so soft you can
tear it with your hands. Guy had no idea where it came from, or purpose. I've had a lot of XRay sheathing, and flashing lead, this stuff is a lot thinner and softer. I'm
thinking it may have been used for gaskets, back in the day. Anyone run into this,
1st for me, and I've seen tons of lead from many applications, but nothing like this.

Yodogsandman
07-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Sounds like roof flashing, like for around a chimney. Very soft and about the lowest BHN lead available that's great for ML balls.

Drm50
07-19-2016, 02:08 PM
No, I've got hundreds of lbs of different flashings, and sheathings for XRay, sound proofing,
cables, ect. I have got scraps of gasket lead that is much heavier and not as soft. Comes from
seals on water intake pumps at power plants. The roll is about 4" in dia. Was in a cardboard
tube, with tin bottom. Lid wasn't with it and no label remained on degraded tube. Since post
another guy suggested it may be some kind of Machinist shim stock. I believe the original roll
was about 6", according to diameter of tube.

rancher1913
07-19-2016, 08:43 PM
gauge lead. you stick some in a machined fitting and when assembled then disassembled it will tell you the tolerance of the fit. roto metals still sells something like it.

Drm50
07-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Rancher, that makes sense, going to check that out. To thin and packaged with to much care to
be flashing. It is so soft you can almost work it like putty in your hands.

solderboy
07-20-2016, 01:00 PM
gauge lead. you stick some in a machined fitting and when assembled then disassembled it will tell you the tolerance of the fit. roto metals still sells something like it.
thanks rancher1913
I got some Lead like that also, at an auction, but wasn't rolled with a paper divider, mine is much wider (40") but thin and soft, almost handles like paper. This auction also had a bunch of machinist tools, lathe and mill and lots of metal stock. I kind of wondered what it was used for as well? thanks.

07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that's likely gauge lead. Similar to plastigauge used to measure clearances in bearings, machined fits, etc. The sheet type can be extruded say inside a metal stamping die for example. Soft enough to conform, stiff enough to hold it's shape for measuring.

Traffer
07-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Might it be something like this?
http://www.medicalequipment-msl.com/htm/lead-sheet/lead-foil-sheet.html

fredj338
07-21-2016, 02:22 PM
I am betting sheathing for lining Xray rooms. I have a sim roll my dentist gave me when he went digital.

Drm50
07-21-2016, 02:52 PM
I believe Rancher is right, it's some kind of machinest gauge lead. I have all kinds of XRay lead.
from remodels, scrap cut offs still rolled and the old stuff they tore out. This stuff is a lot different.

DaveyDug
07-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Anything like this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274364-Lead-Foil-Roll