PDA

View Full Version : Free for the Scrounging: 2K tons of WW

Woodsroad
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
That's how much WW falls of of car wheels every year, according to this study:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1111/2006-1111.pdf

It makes clear that Pb alloy WW are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The EU has banned them, and the US will do the same, soon.

Alchemist
05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
No doubt WWs will get harder to get as more pressure to control environmental lead levels increases. Get 'em while you can fellers!

I'm a mailman, and I scan the gutters and road edges when I come to a street crossing. I've foung quite a bit of "gutter gold" this spring...maybe because of the heavy ice storms we had all winter. I feel it is my civic duty to remove these terrible chunks of lead, not to mention the metal that might cause someone a flat tire. :-D

I'm looking out for you all!

Cheers
Alchemist

imashooter2
05-23-2008, 09:59 PM
If 4 million pounds of WW fell off of cars every year, we wouldn't be scrounging. We'd just take a bucket and shovel down to the freeway and load up all we wanted from the piles lining the road.

Woodsroad
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
If 4 million pounds of WW fell off of cars every year, we wouldn't be scrounging. We'd just take a bucket and shovel down to the freeway and load up all we wanted from the piles lining the road.

Hmmm...it's that way around here. The streets are lined with lead! Knee deep in some places.

Really, you just have to realize who is behind this study and who will benefit from it. A ban on Pb alloy weights means that every tire shop in the country will have to change over to new weights. A complete set can run a good chunk of change. A percentage of that money will find it's way back to a few political campaigns.

They say the change is "for the children", or the whales, or salmon or trees, but, of course, it's for the pocketbook of politicians.

runfiverun
05-24-2008, 02:07 AM
you think they dont know where the little guys get the bulk of their lead?
they will lay off the guns . and just stop the" poor" from shooting.
just one more step.

donot worry guys they make all ww's from zinc we will just shoot that..

cohutt
05-24-2008, 07:24 AM
When i exercise i keep my eye out for them. iThese were 3 run's worth a while back:
It doesn't seem like much but over a few months i've filled up a couple off plastic Folgers coffee "cans".
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc103.jpg

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:22 AM
A good place to find flung off WW would be any direction from your local Wally World. I had Wally World balance a set of tires on my truck once. I could hear the weights slinging off and hitting my fenders after I left.

Ricochet
05-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Sure enough, if the zinc ones become common enough, it'll be worth experimenting with casting that. It'll complicate berm mining, though.

Did anybody have trouble when the Harvey Prot-X-Bore zinc washer boolits were getting used a lot? Or did anyone try to recycle boolits then?

I have one of those Lyman moulds for .38/.357 and a few washers, BTW. Thought about trying to find a substitute for the washers, or see how they shoot without them. Funny looking boolits!

felix
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Zink is too light for the majority of twists out there. Maybe there might be some luck with the 7 twisters. Try making a boolit out of pure zinc for the swede, and see if there is any help there. ... felix

happy7
05-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I have tried looking for wheelweights along roads, but don't find much. I sure would be interested in tips on where they are most likely to be found.

Boerrancher
05-24-2008, 03:51 PM
It seems this pb thing has gotten out of hand with these political folks. If they really are concerned about lead, why don't they remove the thousands of miles of lead water mains in some of these older cities like St Louis? There is one of two real simple answers. The first being, Lead is not as harmful as they are letting on, or second, these lead water mains, are in the poor neighbor hoods and those folks aren't worth the money it would take. Basically either answer will only bring you around to one conclusion. The lead scare is nothing more than another liberal feel good notion that really does no one any good. That is the problem with liberals all of their ideas are about feeling good that you did something, never mind that something was of no consequence. *Looks down and reads the quote below again*

Blammer
05-24-2008, 05:48 PM
that "fo" should be "of" in your quote

Woodsroad
05-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Lead water mains, if left alone, pose little threat. Water companies are aware that they exist and keep the pH on the alkaline side to prevent lead leaching. They also add calcium carbonate to the water to plate any exposed lead in the system.

Lead wheel weights on the highway pose no theat at all. Read all the legislation and studies on wheel weights. Nowhere does it detail exactly what the threat is.

Well, there are enough WW's out there right now to keep every shooter in WW alloy for the rest of their lives. Tons and tons and more tons.

cohutt
05-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I have tried looking for wheelweights along roads, but don't find much. I sure would be interested in tips on where they are most likely to be found.

higher traffic roads around here, +/- 100 ft of traffic lights seems to be where i see most of them. rail road crossings seem to help bounce them off too.
after a while you can tell the difference in a ww and about any other similarly sized object from 30 feet away. :mrgreen:

John Boy
05-25-2008, 01:27 PM
About 4,000 t of lead in wheel weights are unaccounted for, but could include weights given or sold by retailers to anglers for making weights and lures; boaters for constructing keels and ballast (Ashmore, 2004); and hunters for making ammunition.
Naw - This can't be correct. About 7.5% of the 4,000 t is sitting in my garage and all of them were Free!:-D

Statistically, if the average caster has 200#'s that's only 40 individuals and I know there are more than 40 casters on Cast Boolits :roll:

cohutt
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Naw - This can't be correct. About 7.5% of the 4,000 t is sitting in my garage and all of them were Free!:-D

Statistically, if the average caster has 200#'s that's only 40 individuals and I know there are more than 40 casters on Cast Boolits :roll:

4000t = 8,000,000 lbs

7.5% = 600,000 lbs

all in your garage? :confused:

I'll admit, I am quite impressed. And I thought a little over 1 ton was pretty good.

imashooter2
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
4000t = 8,000,000 lbs

7.5% = 600,000 lbs

all in your garage? :confused:

I'll admit, I am quite impressed. And I thought a little over 1 ton was pretty good.

It's a big garage.[smilie=1:

Woodsroad
05-25-2008, 10:52 PM

They fall off when the car hits a pothole, so most are in Pennsylvania.

John Boy
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
4000t = 8,000,000 lbs
:groner: Darn cheap calculators dropping them zeros!:roll:

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Made In China