PDA

View Full Version : Kahr K9

dubber123
07-18-2016, 11:53 PM
I picked up a used but very good condition Kahr K9 at a recent gun show. Like most shows everything was priced pretty high, but this one was marked $289, very good considering the high MSRP on this model.

The first relief was when I found out the chamber is much looser than the .45 Kahrs I have worked with. This one plunks .358" boolited handloads with ease. I tried a few groups with some jacketed FMJ's first, and was underwhelmed. I tried 2 different 150 gr lead loads, and both easily outshot the jacketed, and the bore appears clean after the 20 rounds fired, despite the horror stories circulating about the polygonal barrels. ;)

If anyone had considered one of these, I would say initially it seems lead friendly. I may try harder boolits to see if it plays nicer with the polygonal rifling as is often reported. The first ones were just air cooled WW's.

fecmech
07-19-2016, 09:57 AM
I had one a few years back when I was playing with 9mm's. It was a quality firearm,very well made and accurate. I put about 3500 cast rds through it with never a bobble.

mold maker
07-19-2016, 11:52 AM
I own and carry with 3 different KAHRs.
Well made and dependable in 9 and .40.
Easy to clean and maintain, with better than acceptable SD accuracy.
Have never had a problem with lead hand loads.
What else can you ask of an American made small handgun?

FergusonTO35
07-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Kahr barrels have an exceptional finish. Those I have owned did best with .356 boolits, surprisingly.

Low Budget Shooter
07-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Nice find! I enjoyed my stainless K9 when they first came out (late 90s, I think).

dubber123
07-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure I got all the copper out of the bore before my first lead loads were tried. I'll actually use a little solvent before the next trip out. I did try the plunk test with my .358" RF loads again, and they feed and chamber slickly. I do have to get used to the trigger, they are a bit different :)

tejano
07-23-2016, 09:36 AM
The barrels in Kahr's "value series" have conventional rifling. The original line is pricier and come with polygonal rifling.

Petrol & Powder
07-23-2016, 03:23 PM
The Kahr pistols are quality products. I've seen some problems (in person) with the polymer framed 40 caliber models but I've never run across a 9mm Kahr than was anything but 100% reliable. The same goes for all of the steel frame models regardless of caliber.

They are very well made guns and until Glock came out with the single stack 9mm Glock model 43, the little Kahr's were a very logical back up to the larger Glocks. In terms of reliability and simplicity; I'd rate the Kahr's and Glock's as equals.

The offset feed ramp allows room for the trigger bar and that in turn allows for a lower bore axis. The striker system is very simple and the same piece that cocks & releases the striker also releases the firing pin block. It's compact and it works.

Congrats on your "new" gun.

dubber123
07-24-2016, 06:32 AM
My last load with Power Pistol netted me a barrel full of lead, so I guess I found this barrels limit with air cooled WW's ;) I may set a powder drop a bit lighter than normal for my Green Dot loading and see how it goes as I really only need function and accuracy for practice and plinking. My normal loading is pretty well matching +P 147 grain jacketed velocities.

randyrat
07-24-2016, 08:13 AM
I want one after handling a Khar 9. Never have shot one so I'm glad to hear good news.

Bzcraig
07-24-2016, 11:01 AM
I own 3 Kahrs and the only complaint I have is the 380 trigger guard is tight for my hands but that is not a big deal. The 9mm and 45 are awesome. I have found the Kahrs to have tight grooved barrels compared to others. My 380 is .353, 9mm .3545 and 45 is .451and excellent cast boolit shooters.