PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this press?

Et2ss
05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics....

The opening for the die appears to be approx 5/8"

http://www.newphillysports.com/milsurp/s1.jpg

http://www.newphillysports.com/milsurp/s3.jpg

http://www.newphillysports.com/milsurp/s2.jpg

Can't find a name anywhere on it
Looks to be pretty heavy duty, & Can get this pretty cheap

Scrounger
05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Why???

scb
05-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Looks like the Herter's 9 ton Bullet Swage.

Et2ss
05-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Why???

To get into swaging without shelling out loads of $$$ ???

Thanks scb

Bret4207
05-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Got me, but I LIKE IT!!

EMC45
05-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Looks to be a pretty nice gun shop!

Et2ss
05-24-2008, 11:57 AM
The guy did gun shows for many many years, has boxes full of neat junk to dig through :mrgreen: Only once bought a gun there.....had an all matching Kar. Mod. 71 in really nice shape. Lots of oddball brass & bullets, both factory & cast in there as well.

miestro_jerry
05-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I would buy that in a heartbeat! There is a lot you can do with that type of press, swaging is one of them.

I fell in to some good luck at a gun show a few years back, bought my Star sizer for $80. I should have bought the loader tha guy had also, $150.00 :(

Jerry

yarro
05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
It is a Herter's bullet swaging press. I have one and x2 dies each for .45, .44, .38/.357. I paid 47 bucks for the whole lot. I haven't got to try it out yet as I just moved from Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX and only been in the new place 3 days. I have seen the presses by themselves go for less than 25 bucks.

-Yarro

JBMauser
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, it is a Herter's 9 ton press designed to use with 1/2 jackets. I just bought one without dies for $25. It will accept CH dies from my swag-o-matic but the punch die is different. I found a .30 cal punch on ebay and paid more than the press but now I can swag .30s and I can use it as a guide to possibly make other punches. The screw thread is unique to this press. So here is your reality. It is not easy to find the 1/2 jackets. no one that I know of makes them any longer. They turn up here and there and on ebay for big bucks. sometimes as much as finished bullets. The dies are around as there are plenty of swag-O-matics gathering dust since they require the 1/2 jackets as well and 1/2 jackets are not very popular as they can lead the barrel I am told with hot and heavy loads. But you sound like me and want to get into swaging on the cheap. That's me. I am looking mainly to swag lead pills to paper patch for various rifles and cals. Best of luck, buy it if it is not to expensive. JB

Et2ss
05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I think I can get it for around $20 or so. Now If I'm not mistaken he had a swage-0-matic there as well but I'll have to run down there again & look. Ideally I would like to set up to swage the .227 for my HP, seeing that there is only 1 choice for bullets on the market. Also you were talking about the thread pattern on the Herters, is the thread pattern different on more commonly found punches? Just thinking it would be relatively easy to drill and tap to accomodate easier to obtain bits & pieces. Now knowing nothing of swaging the swage-o-matic dies attach somehow to the ram & the punch threads into the top of the press? (sorry for the noob questions) One other quick one.....these (or the swage-o-matic) can ONLY do half jackets?

JBMauser
05-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, at that price I would buy it as well. Look here to see one that sold on Ebay. The punch is in the pic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290228612470&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
Item number: 290228612470
The screw dia of the punch is .62 and I think the thread count is 16 or 18 to the inch. I have to get my notes as I have been looking for threaded stock that I could drill out and mount a swag-o punch into it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190217212998 - ebayphotohosting

I don’t know if this pic will pull up. It is the punch I bought on ebay. If not enter the number in the url.

I have made solid lead pills as I said to paper patch. I do not see how it or a Swag-O-Matic can make a jacketed bullet. Others can chime in here or I recall that there were people who used the swag-o over at greybeards swaging forum. JB

JBMauser
05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh, and by the way, the current issue of Handloader #253 has an article about making bullets with this old equipment. He produces some pills with the Swag-O and he also uses the zinc washer with a hole in the bottom which is held in place buy a lead rivit formed in the same type of equipment we are dealing with.

I think that the press if converted would need a new solid ram built and it would hold the punch. Then, as you said the top could be drilled out and tapped for conventional corbin dies. I think Corbin makes a similar press for their dies. I don't recall the name of it. Hope this helps. JB

NoDakJak
05-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Yep! It is a Herters Nine Ton Press. I now have two of them that I aquired lately along with a couple thousand half jackets. I leave one set up for 38 and the other for 44. I haven't done much them yet other than swage some interesting 135 grain slugs for my Chiefs Special. Used some 116grain slugs that had been cast of Lyman #2 for the 32-20. They had been sized and lubed and the first lube groove is exposed above the halfjacket. Hopefully this will preclude any leading. Also have a set of 30 caliber dies for it and will test slugs in a six inch, custom Charter Arms revolver. After I purchased it I found that the barrel had never been throated/chamfered. The first time that I pulled the trigger the spray of lead to both sides was astounding. One small piece hit my grandson in the throat. He was standing about four feet to my right and a couple feet to the rear. I think that I had better take care of that problem. Neil

Kragman71
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
I just wandered onto this post.
I have one like it;also without any markings.
I also have some Herters dies for it,for 45 caliber and 38 caliber.
Can it be set up in a horozontal position,on the bench,instead of vertical?
Thanks
Frank

TAWILDCATT
12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have 2 swage a matics one in 9mm and the other 357.I used ot swage cast bullets in them.I lubed the bullets and swaged them.I claimed they shot better.
maybe.

Nobiskj
12-14-2008, 09:58 AM
It is a Herter 9 ton---Are you interested in selling it? Harold