PDA

View Full Version : Got a used rl550 today

Strtspdlx
07-18-2016, 08:38 PM
She seems well used and missing some pieces. I'm pretty sure I paid too much as I had to have it. I'll be posting pictures hopefully shortly so if you guys can tell me what I'm missing. I have the parts diagrams but I've never used a progressive much less a Dillon. And no one locally has the first clue about this stuff. The gentleman I bought it from was kind enough to extend the favor of helping me get it setup via phone. As he lives out of state. Hopefully I can get this thing up and running by the time I get my loads squared away in my pistols.

sparky45
07-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Box it and send it to Dillon for a make over. You'll get back a like new press.

Strtspdlx
07-18-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't think I can afford it honestly. With all the pieces I have to buy and the cost of any repairs. I really shouldn't have spent the money to buy the press. But my Lee c style press is worthless.

SWANEEDB
07-18-2016, 10:03 PM
About all they need is a little cleaning and that is no problem to do, quite simple. If you don't have a users manual get one from Dillon, parts missing just might be able to get them from Dillon at most likely no charge, they really are a no brainer to work with, we have 4 of them, if you need a little help, give us a PM.

Strtspdlx
07-18-2016, 10:52 PM
I feel bad trying to get warranty oarts for a machine I bought used. It isn't Dillion's fault nor their paying customers that I bought a machine and didn't know exactly what was supposed to be with it. I'm not the type to try and get free stuff or go out of my way to get free stuff. On a side note I recently purchased a home that has pella windows and one had a cracked pain. I went to order one from pella and asked how much it would be. The very nice lady said its warranty it'll be out to you within 7-10 days. 2 days later it was at my doorstep. So I know how it feels. But to me I don't want to expect someone to warranty something that is my mistake.

dragon813gt
07-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Dillon has a no BS warranty. It's been paid for by everyone that has one of their presses, even you. Why do you think they cost so much used? Well that's part of the reason why they go for as much as they do.

It doesn't look like it's missing much. Give it a good cleaning because it needs one. You are in good shape. BTW, what did you pay? We all want to know :)

VHoward
07-18-2016, 11:38 PM
I feel bad trying to get warranty oarts for a machine I bought used. It isn't Dillion's fault nor their paying customers that I bought a machine and didn't know exactly what was supposed to be with it. I'm not the type to try and get free stuff or go out of my way to get free stuff. On a side note I recently purchased a home that has pella windows and one had a cracked pain. I went to order one from pella and asked how much it would be. The very nice lady said its warranty it'll be out to you within 7-10 days. 2 days later it was at my doorstep. So I know how it feels. But to me I don't want to expect someone to warranty something that is my mistake.

Do not feel bad about using the lifetime warranty. The warranty follows the machine and does not stay with the original buyer. Even if you were the 5th person to buy it, you would still get the warranty.

broomhandle
07-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Hi Sir,

Give them a call! Dillon is a GREAT company to deal with!

My young dog chewed the heck out of the lid & bowl of my tumbler! The telephone rep. laughed like hell & said ship it, we will fix it for FREE! They replaced & updated a # of parts on my 550 & painted it for a few $

broomhandle

Strtspdlx
07-19-2016, 07:18 AM
All said and done I paid $200 for what's pictured. Like I said I had to have it so I think I overpaid.

Dillon has a no BS warranty. It's been paid for by everyone that has one of their presses, even you. Why do you think they cost so much used? Well that's part of the reason why they go for as much as they do.

It doesn't look like it's missing much. Give it a good cleaning because it needs one. You are in good shape. BTW, what did you pay? We all want to know :)

Strtspdlx
07-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Milk have to get in touch with Dillon and see what they say.

Do not feel bad about using the lifetime warranty. The warranty follows the machine and does not stay with the original buyer. Even if you were the 5th person to buy it, you would still get the warranty.

kayala
07-19-2016, 10:22 AM
On the pictures I don't see priming system parts (only primer magazine tube) primer slider bars and primer bar return spring seems to be missing (or at least I can't see them in the picture). I'd contact Dillon they'd make this press whole again.

corbinace
07-19-2016, 11:58 AM
All said and done I paid $200 for what's pictured. Like I said I had to have it so I think I overpaid.

Yep, I think you paid way too much for it! But just bcause I am such a caring guy, I will give you $250 for it and have you drop ship it to dillon for me. But, you have to act quickly. Because once you find out how good a deal you actually got and use it a bit, you will like it so much that you will not part with it for twice the purchase price.

Congratulations on your new toy.

Strtspdlx
07-19-2016, 12:58 PM
I was fiddling with it lastnight polishing it up a bit. I have a feeling I'm going to like it. I just need to call Dillon and get it to the condition it should be in.

BlackRat
07-19-2016, 02:00 PM
From your pictures it looks like you are missing the primer slides:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O89jRLoWUXs/maxresdefault.jpghttp://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/gunther7912/Mobile%20Uploads/F9C14D62-32F2-45D5-87B4-FDDAFFECC0ED_zpsxa82wkrb.jpg

Other than that you also need the wire that controls the sliders. You will see on the pics that each slider has a roller. The purpose of those rollers is to ride a piece of wire that is bent in a way that moves the slider in during the downstroke and vice versa (there's a spring that helps to move the slider back but you already have it). In the first picture you will see that there is also a black spacer that goes between the press and the priming slides but I'm not sure if you also have it.

All these parts should not be very expensive and once you get the 550 going you'll love it!

dragon813gt
07-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Have you seen the current price for them? You didn't overpay. You seem the be missing the primer slides. They are cheap. I bought two as spares when I refurbed the one I have. They maintain about 90% of their new value so anything under that is a good deal.

Pee Wee
07-19-2016, 03:55 PM
She seems well used and missing some pieces. I'm pretty sure I paid too much as I had to have it. I'll be posting pictures hopefully shortly so if you guys can tell me what I'm missing. I have the parts diagrams but I've never used a progressive much less a Dillon. And no one locally has the first clue about this stuff. The gentleman I bought it from was kind enough to extend the favor of helping me get it setup via phone. As he lives out of state. Hopefully I can get this thing up and running by the time I get my loads squared away in my pistols.
I got about the same amount of stuff on a used dillion that I bought for $200.00, I called dillion got an RO # and they said ship it to them with a check for $87.50 and they would refurb it. I got it all packed in a large flat rate box that cost me $16.00 to ship to them.. In about 10 Days I received back my main frame but with all new moving parts on it and all of the accessories that come with a new dillion. it is the best $300.00 I ever spent. You will spend way more than the $100.00 for the refurb trying to replace all of the parts that you are missing. you wont be sorry that you did it.
Pee Wee

tstowater
07-19-2016, 07:47 PM
If you are short anything other than the little things, it would be all the"add-ons". If you start buying trays and strong mounts and.....and..and..., the next thing you know is that you have a great loader and wonder what took you so long. About the third call to Dillon to order parts and accessories, I asked the representative why they just didn't tell me to buy it the first time. He just giggled. I still order more stuff on a regular basis.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dudel
07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Here is a link to the 550b parts list. http://www.dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/Dillon-RL550B-September-2010.pdf

Check the parts diagram to what you have. Dillon no BS warranty goes with the press; not the original buyer. You'll likely get the parts for free. One reason why Dillon presses hold their value.

If you sent the press to Dillon for refurb, I think the current charge is $65 (which is not too bad for what you get in return). No charge for the parts, the charge is labor. However, if you're willing to do the labor, they will send you the parts free.

Strtspdlx
08-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Well I called Dillon and told them I have a press minus a few parts. I ended up paying for them which I'm fine with. It was about $100 in parts to get it completely operational. Hopefully I'll have the parts soon as I'd like to run about 100 rounds through it and see how it does. I appreciate everyone's help. It would've been nice to not have to spend the money but they didn't seem to interested in replacing missing parts for free.

powwowell
08-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Does this mean that the vaunted Dillon warranty is no good? Why would other users get free parts, and you have to pay?

VHoward
08-04-2016, 04:45 PM
I think because the parts were totally missing. Can't warranty something that is missing. He would have paid about $95 dollars labor to one of their techs and then the parts probably would have been free if he sent it in. No telling. I've never had to pay for a replacement part, but I still had the worn out or broken part.

Alvarez Kelly
08-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Well I called Dillon and told them I have a press minus a few parts. I ended up paying for them which I'm fine with. It was about $100 in parts to get it completely operational. Hopefully I'll have the parts soon as I'd like to run about 100 rounds through it and see how it does. I appreciate everyone's help. It would've been nice to not have to spend the money but they didn't seem to interested in replacing missing parts for free.

The press in your pictures is not missing $100 worth of parts. Did you buy a caliber conversion and/or dies too? I'd be very interested to see what they thought you needed...

Even after all that, I guarantee you will be pleased with your new ammo making machine. :-)

powwowell
08-04-2016, 10:46 PM
I think because the parts were totally missing. Can't warranty something that is missing. He would have paid about $95 dollars labor to one of their techs and then the parts probably would have been free if he sent it in. No telling. I've never had to pay for a replacement part, but I still had the worn out or broken part.

That makes sense to me.

tstowater
08-05-2016, 09:27 AM
By the time you buy the missing primer pieces and some accessories such as trays, etc., You will burn a hundred dollars pretty quickly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk