PDA

View Full Version : menacing shipmunks

buggybuilder
07-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Any ideas on how to get rid of chipmunks? Can't use poison ' cause of the little kids next door. Can't shoot'm 'cause I live too far into town. I have only seen them one time, but the mess they leave is getting to be too much.

Light attack
07-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Trap them. Hav a heart traps at most hardware stores.

GRUMPA
07-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Only thing that comes to mind is those have-a-heart traps.

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 04:23 PM
smoke bomb .. plug many holes.. light and drop down open hole

country gent
07-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Certain ultra sonic frequencies are supposed to drive them away. We bought a unit and plugged it in but seemed to attrack them instead of repell them. Put a flashing strobe in grandmothers attic and that facenated them. Live traps or box traps. We trpped them at Her place for years took them roughly 6 miles to a state park to release them I think they beat us back to her house. A rope and ditch wioth enough water to cover trap completely works great. They are tenacious animals very destructive and a royal pain when the get into a house or building THe ultra sonic thing did uopset dogs and other animals though. We tried alot and other than shooting or trapping the only option is poison. A simple Box trap can be bent from 1/4" wire mesh make it 6" square about 12-14" long with doors on an angle so when the walk in they cant raise them to walk out.You can put a door on each end or just one end and a square in te other. These need to be long enough the chipmonks get completely inside tail and all or the door can be raised. The single door ones work good with baits at the very back solid end. marshmellows, penut butter, apples will work.

AggieEE
07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I was going to suggest moth balls. Fill up the main hole and put a brick or two on top and block as many holes as you can find.

runfiverun
07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
squirrel launcher?
bait e'm in and launch them over the fence.

remove their food source.
or buy a falcon, owl, rat terrier, or a couple of cat's.

lefty o
07-18-2016, 05:01 PM
5gal bucket part filled with water, make a ramp to it, and float a pile of peanut shells on the water. they can get in, but cant get out.

Johnch
07-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Not in a wood pile or next to a tree
A flare
Find a main hole , plug the rest of the holes
Light the flare and insert into the hole and flame in first
Fill the hole

If there are any holes you missed , fill them as you see the smoke coming out

Wait 10 min to make sure there isn't any coming out holes you missed
Problem solved
As any chipmunks , moles , groundhogs ....or about any other critter in the hole is dead from the toxic put off by the burning flare
But safe for us ...as long as we don't breath in the fumes straight from the flare

John

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Not in a wood pile or next to a tree
A flare
Find a main hole , plug the rest of the holes
Light the flare and insert into the hole and flame in first
Fill the hole

If there are any holes you missed , fill them as you see the smoke coming out

Wait 10 min to make sure there isn't any coming out holes you missed
Problem solved
As any chipmunks , moles , groundhogs ....or about any other critter in the hole is dead from the toxic put off by the burning flare
But safe for us ...as long as we don't breath in the fumes straight from the flare

John

Same idea as the smoke bombs but probably better (more Smoke )

Geezer in NH
07-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Jack Russell Terrier. Works 100%+ on our chipmunk intruders.

Premod70
07-18-2016, 05:31 PM
A couple of rat terriers and the pests are gone that is if you like dogs.

DLCTEX
07-18-2016, 07:33 PM
I bought a repellent at Tractor Supply yesterday. Hoping it will repel the pack rat that is clipping my plants.

labradigger1
07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Mason jar.
Place lid and ring on jar.
Cut an X or two in the lid and fold slightly into the jar. This works as it makes a one way door. They can get in but get poked coming out.
Add peanuts to the inside of jar.
Lay jar on its side where you see them.
I used to catch them all the time as a kid like this.

xs11jack
07-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I am not sure that flares and smoke bombs are the right thing if your neighbor has some of the holes in their yard. They might get a little upset and call the firedept.
Ole Jack

nagantguy
07-18-2016, 08:51 PM
5gal bucket part filled with water, make a ramp to it, and float a pile of peanut shells on the water. they can get in, but cant get out.

best method ever! we use sunflower seeds on top of the water, cause we grow sunflowers, had as many as 5 in one bucket, got hundreds one summer working security at a camp ground, the "shipmunks" would chew wires, live in resident RVs , ransack the little store one even got inside the electric box for the gate and made it open and close at random, after a time I started putting just a little bleach in the water cause the skeeterz would lay larva in it, water bucket method is highly effective and the seeds don't draw cats!

Thumbcocker
07-18-2016, 09:08 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the churchmen who would to sail with the crew.

funnyjim014
07-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Cought 6 this year in victor snap rat traps ( i was trying for rats honest) just take peanut butter and smush it threw the hole in the pan fromthe bottom and wipe your finger off on the wood under it . A pea sized ball is all that is needed.

Pistol Champ
07-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Rodenator

MaryB
07-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Connect a pipe to your exhaust and stick it down a hole... plug as many of the other holes as you can find... carbon monoxide will gas them...

w5pv
07-19-2016, 07:56 AM
I like what Mary B came up with you could do that with your lawn mower and it would be easy to move from one site to the other.

Yodogsandman
07-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Walk a block or two over and play Johnny Appleseed with a bunch of sunflower seeds. Look for a yard with World Wildlife Federation, Humane Society or PETA stickers, they like em to come and stay with them.

Taylor
07-19-2016, 10:44 AM
1. Sit on back porch with cup of coffee and pellet rifle.
2.Shoot said rodent.
3.Have hound fetch critter
4.Throw over fence into vacant lot or place in garbage can.

I killed 17 this way last fall,only 2 so far this year.They'll show up when the acorns fall.

Hardcast416taylor
07-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Close range use .22 bird shot.Robert

FISH4BUGS
07-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Any ideas on how to get rid of chipmunks? Can't use poison ' cause of the little kids next door. Can't shoot'm 'cause I live too far into town. I have only seen them one time, but the mess they leave is getting to be too much.
Our cats keep them down and it supplies endless entertainment for them.

Silver Eagle
07-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Pellet rifle. Find one that is quiet. Some can barely be heard out of yard. Make sure of clean kills so neighbors do not find on other side of fence.

runfiverun
07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I still think this is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

GhostHawk
07-19-2016, 09:48 PM
I think in that situation I would buy a 10' length of 1.5" pvc pipe and make 5 asian style rat traps.

They use bamboo, a 3-4' wooden stick is the spring, it goes through a slot in the pipe at the far end.

On the business end you have a slit for a snare, and a couple inches farther up you have a square hole for a trigger. Trigger has a little square edge on it so if it gets bumped it releases, pulling the snare tight.

Easy to build, easy to set with some seeds, small enough to keep domestic critters out of it.
And easy to see when it needs emptying and resetting.

Plus an open ended pipe is an invitation to explore for a chipmunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfwWEZNPi2Q

CASTER OF LEAD
07-20-2016, 03:37 AM
Juicy fruit chewing gum. Just unwrap the sticks and drop them around the yard & in any flower beds you may have. They eat it and cant pass it. Kills em Dead. - Caster

Taylor
07-20-2016, 08:29 AM
I still think this is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

Damn that's funny!!!:guntootsmiley:

blackthorn
07-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Would that chewing gum trick work for mice??

Smoke4320
07-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Juicy fruit chewing gum. Just unwrap the sticks and drop them around the yard & in any flower beds you may have. They eat it and cant pass it. Kills em Dead. - Caster

If you use double mint would you kill twice as many ? :bigsmyl2:

SteveS
07-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Victor snap traps are the cheapest, easiest and most effective way to clean them out.

SP5315
07-20-2016, 11:54 PM
I've got a 15 gallon opentop quarter drum, think smaller version of a 55 gallon barrel. Set it next to something they can climb up on on the outside of the drum. Put about an inch of wild bird feed in the bottom. They'll get into the drum for the feed and can't scale the smooth steel walls to get out. Then do what you need to do with em. Works well with squirrels too.

CASTER OF LEAD
07-21-2016, 02:52 AM
If you use double mint would you kill twice as many ? :bigsmyl2:
I have never tried it, but there might be a new add campaign in there some where. :lol:

CASTER OF LEAD
07-21-2016, 02:57 AM
Would that chewing gum trick work for mice??
I imagine it would. I do know it works on the Chipmunks. A fella i worked for over summer vacation when i was in High school ( many, many moons ago) showed me. His wife couldnt keep flowers (bulb type) in her beds. Lil Buggers dig the bulbs up as fast as she'd plant em. lol
Try it it may just be the ticket. - CASTER