PDA

View Full Version : Springfield bolt questions

roysha
07-18-2016, 12:11 PM
I have a couple of stripped Springfield bolts, ( 03/03A3?) that I'm planning on selling. I went to Sarco to get an idea of prices and it is pretty much all over the place.

However, my questions are these; they have a listing for an "R" marked bolt which is for the Remington manufactured guns. It is priced somewhat higher than the run of the mill bolt. Why?
Where is the "R" mark? Is the bolt worth the extra price? I have a bolt that has a 3 stamped on top of the bolt handle root. What might that signify?

Just to be clear so I don't get my mammary gland in a wringer, I am NOT soliciting a sale here!! I am strictly looking for information so I can fairly price the bolt/s when I post them in the proper forum.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2016, 05:44 PM
In the 1960s most gun shops had a box of stripped 03A3 bolts sitting on the counter at a buck apiece so there must be millions of them out there. I used to walk the gun shows and bought every nickel steel 03 bolt I saw. They brought about five bucks. IMO Remington made the crudest A3 bolts of all the manufactures. They just wanted to turn them out as fast as possible. Buying the parts to make a stripped bolt complete would be painful. What your bolts will sell for will depend on how bad someone needs it. The last time I looked, Numrich wanted $135 for a complete bolt.

higgins
07-18-2016, 06:30 PM
If you search the CMP forums, you will probably find the answer to your question about bolt markings, and also get an idea what parts bring.

roysha
07-18-2016, 08:04 PM
In the 1960s most gun shops had a box of stripped 03A3 bolts sitting on the counter at a buck apiece so there must be millions of them out there. I used to walk the gun shows and bought every nickel steel 03 bolt I saw. They brought about five bucks. IMO Remington made the crudest A3 bolts of all the manufactures. They just wanted to turn them out as fast as possible. Buying the parts to make a stripped bolt complete would be painful. What your bolts will sell for will depend on how bad someone needs it. The last time I looked, Numrich wanted $135 for a complete bolt.

AHH!!! Those glorious memories. The gun shop I frequented in the early/mid 50s (actually made a huge pest of myself since I was just a kid) had a drum of 4831 and a drum of 4895 setting on the floor by the cash register and a stack of brown paper bags on the counter that would hold a pound of powder. The scale was right beside the cash register and if memory serves me correctly, it was $.15 a pound.

elk hunter
07-19-2016, 11:28 AM
AHH!!! Those glorious memories. The gun shop I frequented in the early/mid 50s (actually made a huge pest of myself since I was just a kid) had a drum of 4831 and a drum of 4895 setting on the floor by the cash register and a stack of brown paper bags on the counter that would hold a pound of powder. The scale was right beside the cash register and if memory serves me correctly, it was $.15 a pound.

In the mid 60's I worked in a sporting goods store and we sold 4831 for 69 cents a pound and we put it in paper bags. 4895 was $1.00 a pound. If I remember correctly we paid 35 cents a pound, delivered, for the 4831. Man how times, and prices, have changed.